Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Accessing bumpstops easily ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-09, 11:53 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accessing bumpstops easily ?

Can the bumpstops be accessed easily by raising the car? I'm not too technical... can they be acccessed through the dustcap? Will the dust cap raise enough?
Old 03-13-09, 11:58 AM
Gator Alum
Driver

You won't be able to get to the bumpstop easily unless you either cut the dust cap or remove the shock/spring assembly.
Old 03-13-09, 12:18 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

well thats not good news... here's the deal, my tech cut my bumpstops when I had F-Sport springs, but recently I went with H&R Springs, and they say to not cut the bumpstops, so he put the cut portion back on. Now the ride on H&R's is super hard, feeling like I'm riding on the stops... I was hoping to have him easily access the cut portion and cut it out... guess this isn't going to be an easy project, huh?
Old 03-13-09, 12:25 PM
Gator Alum
Driver

Well, you're not supposed to cut bump stops for F-Sport springs to begin with. The bump stops are only if you car bottoms out the strut. For everyday riding, it shouldn't have an effect. I don't know how you could be riding on the stops unless your shocks are blown, or the H&R springs are just that low. I doubt it will be an easy project. I mean, if he has a lift and takes the wheel off he MAY be able to get in there with a small file or something and saw through it to pull it off, but it probably won't be much fun.
Old 03-13-09, 12:39 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

I'm 90% sure its the stops thats causing the ride to be hard. I asked him to cut the stops for the F-Sports because I didn't know any better to be honest. I saw a DIY spring thread here and the guy cut his, so I asked him to cut mine... honestly, prolly the best thing I could of done.

The bumpstop are back in, and the H&R's are pretty darn low... and now the ride feels like it has no suspension travel whatsoever. Bumps are jarring now. I feel like I'm bottoming out. Bigger bumps are especially noticable. Very hard hitting... I truly think its the stops.

The F-Sports aren't as low as the H&R's, and they had the stops cut... giving them even more room to travel....
Old 03-13-09, 12:42 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

are you saying 'file' through the dustcap, or the bumpstop?
I'm really hoping he can get to the bumpstop via the dustcap without having to cut the dustcap...
Old 03-13-09, 12:44 PM
Gator Alum
Driver

The dust cap just sits over the shock. Think of it like a big hat. You can reach up underneath it, but there is not much room. He MIGHT be able to get to it. As far as there being no suspension travel, you might want to look into aftermarket shocks if you don't already have them. That may help a little if the shocks are stiffer.

Why was cutting the bump stops on the F-Sports the best thing you could have done?
Old 03-13-09, 01:23 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gator Alum
The dust cap just sits over the shock. Think of it like a big hat. You can reach up underneath it, but there is not much room. He MIGHT be able to get to it. As far as there being no suspension travel, you might want to look into aftermarket shocks if you don't already have them. That may help a little if the shocks are stiffer.

Why was cutting the bump stops on the F-Sports the best thing you could have done?
It just seems appropriate when using OEM shocks, which I am... OEM shocks with OEM springs... your getting much less travel when you put on lowering springs... and H&R's are even lower then F-Sports (even less travel). That 'relief' you get when cutting the bumpstops, now, I feel is almost necessarry for a spring like H&R's... you still have a decent amount of bumpstop left for protection, but some deff needs to be cut to give OEM shocks any room to move... all my opinioin of course... but seems to be true...

Tech said he thinks he could access the bumpstop by taking the wheel off... lets hope so. I'm going to have a hard time paying him to take off and re-do the entire assembly again...
Old 03-13-09, 02:31 PM
nicholasg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
It just seems appropriate when using OEM shocks, which I am... OEM shocks with OEM springs... your getting much less travel when you put on lowering springs... and H&R's are even lower then F-Sports (even less travel). That 'relief' you get when cutting the bumpstops, now, I feel is almost necessarry for a spring like H&R's... you still have a decent amount of bumpstop left for protection, but some deff needs to be cut to give OEM shocks any room to move... all my opinioin of course... but seems to be true...

Tech said he thinks he could access the bumpstop by taking the wheel off... lets hope so. I'm going to have a hard time paying him to take off and re-do the entire assembly again...
Bumpstops are REQUIRED to be cut when installing aftermarket springs that are shorter than stock. Otherwise, the spring doesn have ability to travel and instead bottoms out on the stops constantly.