Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Recommended Tool for Removing Rear Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 08:18 PM
Lexus082
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Tool for Removing Rear Control Arms

I am wondering if anyone knows of any tool available that will pop the ball joints loose on the rear control arms without damaging the rubber boots. I know the pickle fork would work fine for the ball joints, but it would also destroy the boots. The pitman arm puller I have works great for disconnecting the front upper and lower ball joints and it doesn't damage the boots either.

But due to clearance issues the pitman arm puller that I have is too big to fit the rear ball joints. Do I just need a smaller version pitman arm puller? I am trying to avoid paying alot for the special service tool from toyota/lexus. I tried beating them with a heavy mallet without really any luck. There has to be some tool out there available for this job other than the SST. Anyone know of where I can find what I'm looking for? Or atleast tell me the name of what I need. I just haven't seen anything at sears or the parts stores. Thanks
Old 03-17-09, 05:53 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They are just a major pain in the but to get out, i used a pickle fork and tapped the side of the knuckle after about a hour of doing this it finally popped out of spot.
Old 03-17-09, 07:41 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i took off the axles to get more room. then used an impact to remove the nut and pickle fork for the ball joints. no damaged boots.

good luck with doing it with the axle in place. its a pain.
Old 03-17-09, 07:45 PM
Lexus082
Pole Position

So you used a pickle fork and it didn't destroy the ball joint boots? I thought that was the con of using the pickle fork. There has to be some small ball joint puller out there that will work.
Old 05-05-09, 08:54 AM
SCDanny
Rookie

I just threaded the nut back on so the top of the nut is almost flush with the top of the stud, then I ended up having to heat the spindle with a torch, gave it a few taps on the spindle to hopefully brake it loose. Then give a few good wacks with a hammer on the nut. A little pb blaster doesn't hurt either. But I also had my axles out too. Makes it way easier.
Old 05-05-09, 09:05 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by SCDanny
I just threaded the nut back on so the top of the nut is almost flush with the top of the stud, then I ended up having to heat the spindle with a torch, gave it a few taps on the spindle to hopefully brake it loose. Then give a few good wacks with a hammer on the nut. A little pb blaster doesn't hurt either. But I also had my axles out too. Makes it way easier.
I did the same thing when removing my control arms to install bushings, but it might damage the threads on the ball joint if you're unlucky.
Old 05-05-09, 06:50 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

I rented (free of charge) a Pitman Arm puller from Autozone to remove my front lower balljoints without damaging the rubber on the ball joints. I hand to grind off a few mm's of the Pitman arms for clearence (just don't tell the folks at Autozone). Worked like a charm! Now for the rears, have you checked out different size Pitman Arms or tie-rod separators. Might check places like Northern Tool, or Harbor Freight. Let us know if you find a tool other than the SST that works. Would be really great to know what works other than a pickle fork which I do not much care for.