Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Stoptech 4 corner bbk

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-09, 12:06 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Glen, do you think the ap racing bracket you have could be adapted to the stoptech kit?
I'm at lunch on my iphone so I'll have to get back to you later.
Old 03-17-09, 01:12 PM
RMMGS4

Ok I'm back.

My AP bracket is quite different from the StopTech. The rotor size and the caliper mounting holes and dimensions are different as well.

I'm assuming that the StopTech rear BBK caliper used for the SC is not the same as on RedGS4's GS????

Is the SC a 2 or 4 piston? Redgs4's is a 4 piston. In addition his rotors are 355mm, so again is the SC BBK rotor the same size?

Last thought, I don't know if the SC rotor offset dimensions match up to the GS. Is the rotor centerline offset the same as a GS? Is the e-brake drum diameter the same?

A lot to consider.
Old 03-17-09, 01:31 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a lot to consider. I do know this, the SC is a 355mm x 32 rotor, 4 piston, same as the fronts and same as the front setup on my GS, although I would like to find out if the pistons are smaller on the rear of the SC kit. Do you know how I would find out if the centerline offset is the same? That is a lot of good points you make and a lot for me to find out if this kit will work. I know of a local guy that could be able to fabricate the mounts but it would be so much easier if I could just get the mounts from stoptech. I really like your ap racing setup, that is another possibility for me to consider
Old 03-17-09, 01:42 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

the SC430 and 2GS use the exact same brake setup, I don't see why the stoptech rear set up for the SC wouldn't fit the GS.
Old 03-17-09, 01:49 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
That is a lot to consider. I do know this, the SC is a 355mm x 32 rotor, 4 piston, same as the fronts and same as the front setup on my GS, although I would like to find out if the pistons are smaller on the rear of the SC kit. Do you know how I would find out if the centerline offset is the same? That is a lot of good points you make and a lot for me to find out if this kit will work. I know of a local guy that could be able to fabricate the mounts but it would be so much easier if I could just get the mounts from stoptech. I really like your ap racing setup, that is another possibility for me to consider
When I did my dimensional analysis, the best way to do it was to take a stock supra rotor and fit it to my car to measure if everything aligned, no interference, etc.

Everything lined up on the Supra, so I knew the Supra BBK kit would fit, but just have a larger diameter rotor.

The most painful part of the design was to get the hole spacing correct to mount the bracket to the axle.

I made several prototype brackets and then measured and used shims to get the FINAL spacing and dimensions.

It looks the redGS4s rotor and caliper may be the same as the SC. That would be a good thing.

So I think the main things to look into are:

1 - Will a stock SC rotor will fit the GS? If yes then that saves a lot of homework and measuring.

2 - If the hole spacing to mount the SC OEM caliper to the axle is not the same as the GS OEM, then let's hope it's the same as the Supra OEM. If it's the same as the supra, then my measurements on my brqcket, plus the ones I took off of redgs4s car may get you in the ball park for making a custom bracket.

I'm going to have to look to see if I have any of the drawings I did to fabricate my bracket.

If you wanted to go with APRacing well, my machinist is just about to make the final version of my bracket in a couple of weeks. The Prototype still on my car right now. It would cost significantly more to have him make a second bracket unless he makes two of them at the same time.

If you want to split the total fabrication cost with me 50/50 that would work. I'll throw in my design and R & D time of 1 year in for free.

You would still have to fork out about 5k for the AP 4 corner kit though.
Old 03-17-09, 01:52 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by milky
the SC430 and 2GS use the exact same brake setup, I don't see why the stoptech rear set up for the SC wouldn't fit the GS.
If that's the case U R DONE

I know the SC300 and GS400 shared the same front brake kit, but I know the rear did not fit. This is why I'm not sure about the SC430.

So the rotors and calipers may be the same, but is the mounting bracket the same? I don't see why Stoptech wouldn't offer it for the GS if that was the case.
Old 03-17-09, 01:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if tehre is a rear kit for the sc430, that should fit on the 2gs too. as far as i know 2gs and sc430 shares the same brake setup. i am actually surprised if they have a set for the sc430 but not the 2gs. whatever you can fit on the sc430 it should fit on the 2gs i suppose? the stoptech i had on my sc430 was from 2gs

stoptech had the plan to do rear setup, redgs4's car was the first test car. but later on they found out the balance was not good, so they said they would redesign and make the rear only 2 pots instead of 4. but things just went dead from that point on as far as i know

what they have on the webpage is one thing, have you called them and make sure they do have a rear setup (the spec you mentioned) for the sc430? as henry mentioned, sc430 and 2gs share the same rear caliper and rotor, that's a very good sign
Old 03-17-09, 01:57 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RMMGS4

I know the SC300 and GS400 shared the same front brake kit, but I know the rear did not fit. This is why I'm not sure about the SC430.

So the rotors and calipers may be the same, but is the mounting bracket the same? I don't see why Stoptech wouldn't offer it for the GS if that was the case.
Yup, indeed.. Front and Rear brakes are 100% identical. Its a bolt on affair

I don't see why the mounting brackets wouldn't be the same. Uses the exact same stock caliper and rotor.

Last edited by milky; 03-17-09 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 01:57 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by rominl
what they have on the webpage is one thing, have you called them and make sure they do have a rear setup (the spec you mentioned) for the sc430? as henry mentioned, sc430 and 2gs share the same rear caliper and rotor, that's a very good sign
Yup we're both headed down the same path with our thoughts.

Great minds do think alike you know.
Old 03-17-09, 01:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RMMGS4

front setup, supra, 1sc, 2gs, and sc430 all share the same
rear setup, supra and 1sc share the same, 2gs and sc430 share the same (90% sure)

henry (gsteg) has also confirmed that the rear caliper and rotor the same between 2gs and sc430. there is no "bracket" for the stock caliper, it's just one piece if i remember right, so sharing the same part gives a good idea that they might be sharing the same

and yes, my question is still if stoptech has a rear setup for the sc430, i dont' see one reason why it's not offered for the 2gs
Old 03-17-09, 02:24 PM
RMMGS4

there is no "bracket" for the stock caliper, it's just one piece if i remember right
Yes, no bracket on the stock caliper. I was asking the bracket on the SC BBK if it is the same as the bracket on redgs4s. Either way it's all clear now.

henry (gsteg) has also confirmed that the rear caliper and rotor the same between 2gs and sc430.
With gsteg and milky confirmations, it's looking good.

and yes, my question is still if stoptech has a rear setup for the sc430, i dont' see one reason why it's not offered for the 2gs
We are on the same page here. How did StopTech ever get around to releasing the SC430 rear BBK , but not consider releasing it for the GS??

Hope the brake bias is OK. Either way we can go directly to StopTech for the rest of the answers.

We're getting very close to a done deal here. Even if brake bias were a concern, that can be alleviated with a proportioning valve and some applied technical expertise.
Old 03-17-09, 03:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

hahhaa imho, for normal street driving and such, brake bias won't be that big of a deal
Old 03-17-09, 04:58 PM
RMMGS4

hahhaa imho, for normal street driving and such, brake bias won't be that big of a deal
Henry,
I would only be concerned if the rear bias was too strong but I have confidence that StopTech would never allow that to happen.

If the rear were even a little bit too strong then it gets scary if you brake hard in the rain while entering a turn.

You have a much greater chance to spin and find yourself facing the wrong way.

Well you have a good experience with stuff like that so I won't go any further.
Old 03-17-09, 05:49 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I downloaded the stoptech application guide and there is a rear kit listed for the 02-06 SC430. I gave the part #s to Jay from Statik and he has been helping me along the way. He is contacting them about the rear kit from the supra and 1st gen IS, and the SC430. I guess now I can just throw out the 1st gen IS and supra and concentrate on the SC.

One question I have, does anyone know how the brake bias on the SC430 relates to the 2Gen GS? I am wondering how the OEM fronts of the SC and GS match up as far as # and size of pistons? If they are similar then the brake bias should be about the same between the SC and GS right?

You guys have so much knowledge my head is spinning right now. I cant thank you guys enough for all the help and if this turns out to be a good fit hopefully a few members will be rolling around with 4 corner bbks from stoptech
Old 03-17-09, 05:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

haha yeah. come on now, you should never brake when turning, rule 1 in driving!

simple logic tells me it won't be too off if anything. 2gs and sc430 is kind of similar although sc430 is heavier in the rear. i had 2gs stoptechs on sc430 no problem, so assume the front is similar (if not identical), the rear setup on the sc430 is just fine on the 2gs

Quick Reply: Stoptech 4 corner bbk