Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Stoptech 4 corner bbk

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-09, 05:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
I downloaded the stoptech application guide and there is a rear kit listed for the 02-06 SC430. I gave the part #s to Jay from Statik and he has been helping me along the way. He is contacting them about the rear kit from the supra and 1st gen IS, and the SC430. I guess now I can just throw out the 1st gen IS and supra and concentrate on the SC.

One question I have, does anyone know how the brake bias on the SC430 relates to the 2Gen GS? I am wondering how the OEM fronts of the SC and GS match up as far as # and size of pistons? If they are similar then the brake bias should be about the same between the SC and GS right?

You guys have so much knowledge my head is spinning right now. I cant thank you guys enough for all the help and if this turns out to be a good fit hopefully a few members will be rolling around with 4 corner bbks from stoptech
rich, think of it this way. the sc430 and 2gs share the exact same brake setup front and rear (i suppose we are pretty solid on that). toyota does their homework then doing brakes, if they do this that means the brake bias is relatively the same between the two cars.

if that's the case, i don't see other manufacturers being too far off (imho). if that's the case, the sc430 will work on the 2gs just fine. personally as long as they are both stoptech front and rear, i wouldn't worry too much at all
Old 03-17-09, 06:28 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Henry. I wasnt aware that the SC430 and 2GS shared the front as well. As long as I can get my hands on the rear kit then I am set. Only thing I wish is I can change the caliper color. I really like the silver color that stoptech offers. Oh well.
Old 03-17-09, 06:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Thanks Henry. I wasnt aware that the SC430 and 2GS shared the front as well. As long as I can get my hands on the rear kit then I am set. Only thing I wish is I can change the caliper color. I really like the silver color that stoptech offers. Oh well.
well i am 100% sure the 2gs and sc430 front brakes setup are the same. now whether stoptech has a different front setup for the 2gs and sc430, i don't know. could be, but even so i think the difference is very small considering the weight of both cars.

my sc430 had the 2gs stoptech brakes up front and it worked fine for 3 yrs
Old 03-17-09, 11:36 PM
1GStoEnvy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why does it say
"GS Series Lowered Up to 1.0" 1993-2005"
GS Series Lowered Up to 2.5" 1993-2005"
does that mean.... that's the lowest you can have your car....?
thanks
-john
Old 03-18-09, 03:42 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Im not sure what the difference is how lowered the car is, but I have had my stoptech setup for 3years now and no problems. Not sure how much my car was lowered but it was probably over 3"
Old 03-18-09, 04:02 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1GStoEnvy
why does it say
"GS Series Lowered Up to 1.0" 1993-2005"
GS Series Lowered Up to 2.5" 1993-2005"
does that mean.... that's the lowest you can have your car....?
thanks
-john
For the GS lowered up to 1" it list a 332 mm rotor size, and for the GS lowered up to 2.5" it lists a 355 mm rotor size, not sure what the amount the car is lowered affects the rotor size?
Old 03-18-09, 08:25 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

the 2sc and the 2gs shares the same chassis. you can swap over the suspension/brake/steering rack/subframe and they will fit like glove (minus a few things here and there).
Old 03-18-09, 08:49 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Now I am just waiting to find out if they actually sell the rear kit for the SC430. I emailed stoptech and also a vendor here and just waiting to see if this kit is actually made.
Old 03-18-09, 10:31 AM
milky
Lexus Champion

yeah let us know, i wouldn't mind rocking some stoptech rears!
Old 03-18-09, 06:20 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I know they make the rears, the link below is a member that has the 4 corner setup on his SC, now I just have to find someone to sell them to me

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...alled-wow.html
Old 03-18-09, 06:21 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Here is a pic:

Old 03-18-09, 06:35 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Well guys, just checked my email and this is what I received:

Subject: RE: 98-05 Lexus GS 300
To: gs300rich@yahoo.com
Date: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 6:34 PM

The SC430 kit is only sold as a complete 4 wheel kit. Even with the rear caliper piston sizes as small as possible, the overall output is much larger than is ideal. In order to keep the kit properly balanced, the front calipers have much larger piston sizes than a standard front only kit. There is no way to order a rear-only kit for this application.

So it looks like stoptech doesnt want my business, thats fine there are other companies out there. I emailed him back and let him know that other members of this site have said that the fronts of the SC kit and GS kit are exactly the same, so why wouldnt they want to sell a rear kit? Guess they dont like making money, which is rather surprising in this economy. Oh well, looks like I am going to look into brembo and rotora

Does anyone have Todd @ TMEngineering email? Thats who I originally bought my stoptech kit from and maybe he can make something happen for me.
Old 03-18-09, 06:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

So are they saying they have 2 different calipers available for the SC430?
Old 03-18-09, 08:34 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rich,
the explanation given by StopTech cannot be neither be confirmed nor denied, based only on what has been said or observed from any of the posts so far. The explanation they give is entirely plausible. So unless you can find proof otherwise, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

Off the top of my head, there are some hints that can be gathered to validate their claim:

1. Find out what the front Caliper Manufacturers Part Number is on the 4 corner set up for the SC and compare it to yours. A different PN indicates something is different, though we could not say whether that difference is due to a different piston diameter or something simple like a different color. On the other hand if the PN is the same as yours, then you can make a pretty solid conclusion from that.

2. As far as observations that the calipers on the SC and GS are the same, well those comments were based on inspecting the 2 corner set up.

From a visual standpoint, you CANNOT tell by looking at the caliper body if the 4 corner fronts are the same as yours. The body sizes can remain the same, however the piston diameters can be different.

You would actually have to find a 4 corner set up and measure the pistons and then measure the diameter and compare them to your fronts.

3. Perhaps you can make a further inquiry directly with Stop Tech and ask them to provide the "different" front 4 corner PN or provide the front piston diameter specs?

As far as seeking other options, I'd consider Brembo or APRacing (with my custom bracket). I sincerely would not recommend the Rotora 4 corner. I am not going to argue why, but let's just say I have some insider info.

If you can tell by now, I've done a lot of research before I opted to go with my AP Racing set up. I didn't want a set up purely for looks, it had to be well balanced and engineered properly. Come summer time I plan on doing some brake testing to see what kind of stopping distances I can achieve.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-18-09 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-19-09, 03:59 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for the info Glen. Those are all good points I did not consider. Can anyone give me an email address for someone at stoptech other than Erik? He has basically been unwilling to help me from the moment I first contacted him. I am also hoping a vendor can help me out. I will do the research and find out if the part numbers match, the only problem is the part # for the SC setup is for the 4 corner so that will be different. My other option is to buy the full SC setup and just sell my fronts. Glen, do you feel the stoptech is not as good as brembo or ap racing?

Quick Reply: Stoptech 4 corner bbk