Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

92 SC lowering questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-09, 10:19 AM
snsrushing
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC lowering questions

I want to go down about 1", will I have any rubbing issues?
Its a 92 SC with 18x8.5 front and back with a +35 offset and a 245/45 tire.

Also who makes a complete kit? (springs & shocks)
I've heard that coilovers arent too comfortable and I dont think I'll raise it back up so being adjustable isnt a concern. Its only seeing street action not track.
Old 03-22-09, 04:22 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

thats kinda a tall tire... about 3/4" taller than stock... really, you should have a 245/40-18 on there, which will lower the car almost half an inch without doing anything else... you may have rubbing issues depending on how low you go with this taller tire, though only on max suspension compression, and some turning...
Old 03-22-09, 04:49 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm dropped about an inch on Tanabe springs and I have 18x8.5 rears +33 with 255/40 and had rubbing issues over bumps. A fender roll fixed it though. With the 245/45's I had on there before they didn't rub. They just barely cleared the inside of the fender lip by like 3mm when the car was packed.
Old 03-24-09, 02:19 PM
snsrushing
Rookie

I'm sorry it is a 40 series, I got it confused with my Matrixs' tires
Old 03-30-09, 12:13 AM
SidewayzSC
Driver School Candidate

The "Official Wheel & Tire fitment thread" answers absolutely every question you could possible have. Check it out
Old 04-04-09, 02:21 PM
RANDY P
Driver

Originally Posted by snsrushing
I want to go down about 1", will I have any rubbing issues?
Its a 92 SC with 18x8.5 front and back with a +35 offset and a 245/45 tire.

Also who makes a complete kit? (springs & shocks)
I've heard that coilovers arent too comfortable and I dont think I'll raise it back up so being adjustable isnt a concern. Its only seeing street action not track.
Hello, new guy here. Short answer? shouldn't be an issue with 1" drop

I just got done doing 19" 8/9.5" with +38 offset on 235/35F 265/30R dropped with supra struts and H&R springs and the only rubbing I get is at almost full lock in the front. Tire kisses the wheelwell if the road surface is uneven. it has been dumped just about 2" in front and 1.75" rear from stock. There is a visible rake but it looks good, just a matter of personal preference.

I would prefer the back slightly lower but it's obvious the reason H+R didn't wind them down is so the springs don't float and make all kinds of noise. We didn't even really need to compress them to tighten down the strut mounts in the rear, so cutting more than 1/2 coil was out of the question unless we wanted the springs to pop out on bumps. It still looks good tho.

I'll bet that's the reason everyone complains about not being low enough in rear - no manufacturer wants to risk noise complaints and floating springs.

The combo I got on there is decent and rides just ever so slightly harder than stock, it's mostly the wheel / time combo which makes it edgy on sharp bumps. If you keep the stock supra springs I'll be willing to bet it would be very close to stock feel.

If you do the struts and springs remember to lubricate the bump stops and check all fasteners you remove otherwise you will squeak like crazy. I purchased this my strut combo off EBAY from some dude in PR who took them off, I never bothered to check to see if the rear bumpstops were in place and when I installed it it made every clank, squeak and vibration you could imagine.

I was pissed. I ripped it back apart after doing some research and sure enough, the strut mounts were fried and there was no bumpstops, so the springs were not centered and it was noisy as hell.

Took off my low mileage strut mounts and lubed the bushings , cut up some expensive rubber fuel line to insulate the springs - quiet again. Just slight spring noise every once in awhile because there simply not as much tension since the new springs are shorter. Barely noticable.

I also cut the RR spring 1/2 coil to even out L+R. It's fine to cut a small amount, still seats OK in the pockets.

Works good now.

EDIT: had this combo for a few days and had to live with it. Forget what I said, it sucks. Everything has gotten worse due to settling in.

rjp
Attached Thumbnails 92 SC lowering questions-lexus2.jpg  

Last edited by RANDY P; 04-09-09 at 05:04 PM.