Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coils Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-09, 09:54 AM
tmaung
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coils Help

First of all, I have no background on suspension. I have a general idea of how it works but don't know all the mechanical components involved. What I really want to do is to lower my car without sacrificing the comfort. I have read for hours on H&R and tein springs threads and I think I am moving towards coils.

I am looking at megan, teins, tanabe, bc racing, and d2. For the price, which one should I go with? I like to drive fast around the corners but also have bumps in my neighborhood so I want some improvement on handling but doesn't want to sacrifice much on comfort.

Also, if I decide to go with the tanabe and later wanted TEAS, is it possible to hook it up without taking off the coils? Since I won't be installing it myself, I don't want to pay the shop everytime I make a change. And if I get a system like TEAS, when do I get an alignment done?

Does TEAS only change the stiffness or does it also change the ride height? If I do not get TEAS and I want to change stiffness/ride height, do I have to take out the coils again? Sorry for those noob questions but I just want to get things done right.

Soon after the coils, I plan on changing my wheels to 19" probably so what changes do it need to the coils? Or should I get wheels first then the coils?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-09, 10:58 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are looking stritcly based on price megan is the way to go. all the other coilovers out there are good and bad depending on what is more important to you and how much you are willing to spend. i didnt know that tanabe had the Teas system but from the website it looks like it only adjusts for damping, which means only on ride quality i.e stiffness, etc. if you wanted to raise it higher or lower it seems like you would need to use handtools to do that, just like for other coilovers. Alignment generally should be done right after you get it lowered, corner balancing is also a good idea. wheels and coils are two seperate things, it doesnt matter which you get first
Old 03-27-09, 11:13 AM
tmaung
Driver

Thanks. All the prices are around the same range. What's important to me is comfort and just lowered. I don't want it all the way to the ground or anything. I like H&R and tein's drop but they are on springs. Just thinking around 1.5" drop while keeping stock ride quality but better handling :P if possible.

So TEAS can be added later on or needs to be installed at the same time? Thanks.
Old 03-27-09, 11:38 AM
panther28
Driver

Yes TEAS can be added later or the same time. Its actually your decision. I had mine done on the same day.

Last edited by panther28; 03-27-09 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-27-09, 11:45 AM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

teas for tanabe sustec pro 5, changes the damper depending how fast you're going or how slow.

its better to get em all at once.
Old 03-27-09, 12:00 PM
tmaung
Driver

I know people will complain either way but based on what I've mentioned, which coil should I choose? 1.5-2.0" drop with better handling but same ride comfort. Thanks again.
Old 03-27-09, 12:06 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

well tanabes give max 2'' drop front and 2.5'' drop rear if im not mistaken.
megans give a 4'' slam. not sure about the rest.
Old 03-27-09, 12:50 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

tanabes + teas =
Old 03-27-09, 12:59 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i would go with buddy club coilovers. if you wanted you can drop it around 4.25 inches. on lowest setting ride is like stock. on stiffest setting ride is go kart like and very very stiff. made in japan, and price is pretty damn good too.