Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Opinions on these aftermarket Upper Control Arms...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-09, 07:25 PM
LAVIsH
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RANDY P
Maybe for a throttle linkage. On the suspension of a let me rephrase - "a daily driven street car" Like I said, pass.

Ricer move to install those.

rjp
ricer not jus a desperate solution to not paying 700 plus for a camber kit and saving 400 dollars every 6mnths for new front tires

you can call me a ricer when i have a robo super fast furious sticker on the side of my car with a tripple decker APC wings, led windshield squirters with motegi white rims and a led exhuast tip and mother marry on the hood
Old 07-06-09, 10:19 PM
RANDY P
Driver

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
it has nothing to do with daily driven or not. if it is a quality joint it will hold up to the abuse.

are you seriously trying to say that a formula car or a rally car puts less stress on its suspension components then a street driven car?

i wouldnt use those particular arms but if built right with something like aurora or skf components it will be fine.

if youre not convinced go on a mcmaster or aurora bearing website and look up specs for different rod ends and heim joints.
Sure a quality joint would hold up, usually in the form of a balljoint with a good boot

formula cars and rally cars aren't driven for 50K + miles without teardown through potholes, rain, salt and dirt...Under those conditions, no those wouldn't hold up.

rjp
Old 07-06-09, 10:21 PM
RANDY P
Driver

Originally Posted by LAVIsH
ricer not jus a desperate solution to not paying 700 plus for a camber kit and saving 400 dollars every 6mnths for new front tires

you can call me a ricer when i have a robo super fast furious sticker on the side of my car with a tripple decker APC wings, led windshield squirters with motegi white rims and a led exhuast tip and mother marry on the hood
Bust it, I have LED's in my windshield wiper nozzles. PS I don't blame ya for trying those arms, they would solve a major problem with these cars. in CA you might get away using that stuff, up here it rains 6 mos. out of a year and frankly I wouldnt want to be under my car THAT often...

rjp

Last edited by RANDY P; 07-06-09 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-06-09, 10:25 PM
FunnyGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sick ride height man!!!
Old 07-06-09, 10:34 PM
RANDY P
Driver

PS what's the rest of your setup like? I'm curious to see exactly what you have which causes the tires to burn that fast in the front? I thought mine was pretty hammered but my guy (an old friend who knows his ***** and does alignments for a living) says I shouldn't have any issues, and he's correct.

I'm on H+R / Supra struts combo, Urethane bushings (no camber correction) and I'm dumped pretty damn low. I'm tucked in the front.

I've been dropped for 6k miles and no noticable wear on my fronts. He wasn't able to get the camber but got the toe on the front.

My back in factory spec.

No issues, drives good, but rides like A$$ but no tire wear at least.

EDIT: Looked at the pics, might just have to raise it till you can get more reasonable alignment specs..

rjp

Last edited by RANDY P; 07-06-09 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-06-09, 11:12 PM
LAVIsH
Driver

orginaly without the camber kit and worn out upper control arm bushing with completely wasted LCA bushings i was at -2 camber, now my set up is brand new supra lca and newer used upper control arms with alignment now i run only -1.3 camber which i can live with but im gonna install my titan supra bushing camber kit to zero it out just been lazy to get around to it

Suspension: tein coilovers
dumped 2 1/4 in the front
2 in the back
Old 07-06-09, 11:25 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

orginaly without the camber kit and worn out upper control arm bushing with completely wasted LCA bushings i was at -2 camber, now my set up is brand new supra lca and newer used upper control arms with alignment now i run only -1.3 camber which i can live with but im gonna install my titan supra bushing camber kit to zero it out just been lazy to get around to it

Suspension: tein coilovers
dumped 2 1/4 in the front
2 in the back
youre going through all this trouble to set your camber to 0*?

even from factory they set a bit of negative camber. if you want no tire wear then do zero. if you want the car to handle really well run at least 1.5 all around.
Old 07-07-09, 10:49 AM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

youre going through all this trouble to set your camber to 0*?

even from factory they set a bit of negative camber. if you want no tire wear then do zero. if you want the car to handle really well run at least 1.5 all around.
toe is the major factor of wear, camber wears much slower. i have -1.5* of camber in the front and -2* in the rear and as long as the toe is good the tires will last quite a while
Old 07-07-09, 02:22 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by QwkSC
toe is the major factor of wear, camber wears much slower. i have -1.5* of camber in the front and -2* in the rear and as long as the toe is good the tires will last quite a while
i know this. so why run no camber. when you take a sharp turn your 0* wheel becomes a positive camber situation. you overheat the outside edge of the tire, and then complain how the car doesnt handle well and blame it on something else on the car.

i run -2.5* in the rear right now and i have very little camber wear. my falken azenis rt615 are almost even as far as tread wear.

i run zero toe all around and it works great.
Old 07-07-09, 05:11 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i know this. so why run no camber. when you take a sharp turn your 0* wheel becomes a positive camber situation. you overheat the outside edge of the tire, and then complain how the car doesnt handle well and blame it on something else on the car.

i run -2.5* in the rear right now and i have very little camber wear. my falken azenis rt615 are almost even as far as tread wear.

i run zero toe all around and it works great.

My camber wear is so slow... Even at 2.5* my outer part of the tire is only 1-2/32 less than the inner part. Its the toe that kills the tires... it literally sands it down when you move.
Old 07-08-09, 09:57 PM
cazman
Driver School Candidate

there was no instructions and the arms were assembled jus as i applied them on as i asumed that, that was the way there supose to be what kinda pisses me off is if you knew all this time since April that i installed them wrong what happen to giving me a heads up you were on this thread all that time arguing the fact rose joint FAIL blah blah blah and i had pics of my install up for everyone to see and review AND now u tell BTW there backwards thanks MATE for the great knowledge and tech info buddy buts kinda too late ! sorry to flame i know its my lack of knowledge that could have caused a major fail but here on club lex we are all a family and we try to look out for each other
I only noticed when I re-read the thread.

I though you said the arm only came unthreaded, I didnt realise it had broken.

For my car I had offset derlin bushes made for the uppers. Best money spent, and very cheap in reality.
Old 07-08-09, 10:22 PM
cazman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BattleVer
There is nothing wrong with using heim joints on a street car if they are good and used right. But cheep knock off joints on knock off arms, then you have problems. You get what you pay for.
To back alex up, or more to explain it more, a rose joint that isnt "in bending" wont fail. (read my text earlier)
But when a rod end is in bending, it is more likely to fail, if it isnt appropriately sized.
Old 03-09-10, 07:44 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

so did you put'em back on or went back to stock?
Old 03-09-10, 07:48 PM
LAVIsH
Driver

Default uca

Originally Posted by madmax98
so did you put'em back on or went back to stock?
i went back to stock but purchased a titan bushing camber kit i haven t had the time to installed them. since my last post i raised my car about half a inch which gave enough to adjust camber to like -1.3 and almost zero out toe
Old 03-09-10, 08:11 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

i went back to stock but purchased a titan bushing camber kit i haven t had the time to installed them. since my last post i raised my car about half a inch which gave enough to adjust camber to like -1.3 and almost zero out toe
Man i was really hoping they would work. I plan to track the car and i need something to play with the roll center.