Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-09, 07:48 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tavarish
LOL...looks like a good mod for the Supra guys is to get a 1UZ.

Done. and I love my W58
Old 03-31-09, 08:00 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

Originally Posted by drft_n_sc
wow very interesting!!

and all this from a question about spacers!!

I wonder why there's not more 1UZ Supras out there, it seems like it woud be a common swap, is it because the aftermarket support for the 1UZ isn't really there??
I have a 1uz supra, I don't think its the support so much as it hasn't been over proven, i say over proven because the motors have been proven just not by every jackass with 10k to spend like the 2jz has.

Most of the people who are getting gobbs of power out of the 2jz arnt really relying on a support network for parts, but they are for information most of the motor specific parts they make them self's or have made for them, so in reality they could have been making the same parts for the 1uz instead.

another factor is name recognition.. when with other people i say i have a 1uz and people are like so... another dude says he has a 2jz and people start foaming at the mouth and thinking the car has fifty bagizillaion hoursepowers when really its a stock NA motor and weights more then my 1uz, and would be dog slow in a race against my 1uz car.

Ive walked on NA-T 2jz cars btw.

Soon to be turbo as well.
Old 03-31-09, 08:11 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Jake I see you have Idle valve removed, how you do that?
Old 03-31-09, 08:24 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

got out a 12mm socket and a ratchet, proceeded to take off the two 12mm bolts, remove idle valve, drill out a plate with the correct spacing, put on a little gasket sealant, put aluminum plate on, reinstalled the two bolts, tightened, adjusted idle on the bump stop.

my idle valve wasn't working when i put the motor in the car and i was driving around with out it for a few months and when i did a little clean up session on the motor i took it off for good.

car runs fine with out it, i do have to keep the idle up manually for the first 10seconds of the car running.
Old 04-01-09, 11:33 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I didn't read much, so i apologize if this was already said. . .
just a warning, your spacers don't sound like their hubcentric at $8.

If you want to run spacers and feel safer, make sure you have quality ones.
someone mentioned bolt-on, like I have, or apparently the ones that come with extended studs are proving to be just as good.
Old 04-01-09, 12:00 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

i would like to see who makes a bolt on 1/4" spacer
Old 04-01-09, 10:13 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

that would be some ballsy shtuff, with lots of oem stud grinding required. very dangerous, yet amazing
Old 04-01-09, 10:56 PM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Post spacers

so would some 12mm slip ons be aight if i bought some extended studs. or should the slip on and studs come as set to work best. well i guess best yes. but will any slip on be safe with longer studs. and whats the stock stud length and what will i need with 12.7 mm spacers.
Old 04-01-09, 11:28 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderN9NE
so would some 12mm slip ons be aight if i bought some extended studs. or should the slip on and studs come as set to work best. well i guess best yes. but will any slip on be safe with longer studs. and whats the stock stud length and what will i need with 12.7 mm spacers.

I tried 10mm spacers and the stock studs would not grab...

Pretty sure 50mm length studs is for 20mm spacers... so use that accordingly.
Old 04-02-09, 09:49 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

the main thing is to just make sure they're balanced.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H%26R...QQcmdZViewItem
there's 10mm H&R

i know its a big jump in price, so you might want to see if anyone else says it's fine to use the current ones...it would save you money.
Old 04-02-09, 01:51 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ConSynX
the main thing is to just make sure they're balanced.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H%26R...QQcmdZViewItem
there's 10mm H&R

i know its a big jump in price, so you might want to see if anyone else says it's fine to use the current ones...it would save you money.
what do you mean balanced. its a round part that is hubcentric. it is made in a cnc lathe/mill. its almost impossible to make it not balanced. you have to almost make it unbalanced on purpose.

why would you spend that much money on slip-on spacers. yes they come with studs but you can get a set of bolt-on spacers for cheaper then that.

my buddy just bought a used pair of 25mm bolt-on spacers for 75. they were in pristine shape too.

slip-on spacers, even being hubcentric, put a huge load on the studs. the stud is meant to clamp the wheel and most experience tensile stresses....not shearing loads.

they do make 15mm bolt-on spacers with low profile nuts. look around.

btw H&R is a rip off. i got a set of 30mm slip-ons for 25 bucks locally. a set of studs, even ARP, will still be a hella cheaper then those in the link.
Old 04-02-09, 04:23 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

i think everyone has missed the original question that mr. g asked ... he was wondering if he would be ok with a 1/4" spacer in the front so his wheels could clear his new brakes ...

although most of us do run spacers on our cars for different reasons, and we encourage everyone to use bolt on spacers ... i think we should probably answer mr. g's question ...

mr. g you will be ok with a 1/4" slip on spacer. i would recommend you get longer studs just to be on the safe side ... but for the most part you will be perfectly fine
Old 04-03-09, 09:06 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

i'm not clueless. . .
Balanced is what hubcentric is. Sometimes i wonder if i have a target next to my name, because it seems any post I make gets contested. Maybe I should spend more time on my posts, or place a BS Mech Eng next to my name. Makes posting discouraging.

I've seen cheap spacers that appeared to allow play at the studs in order to allow multiple bolt patterns. Those are what I wanted to ensure he wasn't using; the spacers that are actually dangerous
Old 04-03-09, 10:26 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ConSynX
i'm not clueless. . .
Balanced is what hubcentric is. Sometimes i wonder if i have a target next to my name, because it seems any post I make gets contested. Maybe I should spend more time on my posts, or place a BS Mech Eng next to my name. Makes posting discouraging.

I've seen cheap spacers that appeared to allow play at the studs in order to allow multiple bolt patterns. Those are what I wanted to ensure he wasn't using; the spacers that are actually dangerous
no one is targeting you. chill out. what you thought and what meant are same BUT what you though and what you wrote was not.

sorry if it sounded like i jumped you. placing ME BS next to your name would help. im doing this in a month

i know the spacers you are talking about. they sell for 10-20 bucks for a set at any local auto parts stores. they are not the way to go at all. they are so 5hitty that i wasnt even thinking of them when posting. they are garbage. i would never even consider those.

to the OP....
get bolt-on spacer

or

get slip on spacers and extended studs

do one or the other. dont just use a spacer with stock studs. wont work.
Old 04-03-09, 12:51 PM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

I believe that you should definitely purchase bolt on spacers with anyting bigger than 20mm.

both my 25mm and 30mm spacers are bolt on.

Bolt ons also have less issues with improper seating and balance

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers