Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steering Rack Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 08:04 PM
spencerfun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Rack Replacement

I have a 1992 sc300. When I turn my steering wheel to the left it takes a few seconds for the tires to turn. I can either turn harder or wait a few seconds for the wheels to get the message. When the wheels do get the message the tires turn abruptly. After I turn right and try to straighten out the steering wheel stays tilted to the right.

I took the car into a Good Year and they said that my steering rack bushing was worn and I needed to change my whole steering rack. They said that the parts alone were $1750 and with labor it would cost $2200 . Does this sound like the right diagnosis/price to you guys? I was going to take a 1000 mile road trip this weekend, but they recommended that I rented a car because I could lose the ability to control my steering if it broke completely. Is my car unsafe to drive?

Thanks
Old 04-02-09, 12:10 AM
damnDSM
Driver School Candidate

Yes.

Without looking at it, I would suspect that your power steering bushings are done for. You don't have to be mechanically inclined to check the bushings yourself. Write up and Pictures in this thread Although I hear Daizen is on hiatus, the bushings are not very expensive and they are very easy to install yourself (just follow that write-up) If you want to double check to make sure the bushings are the problem, Have someone turn the wheels (engine on) and look at the rack from under the front of the car.

I would definitely rent a car for such a long trip. Wet roads can be very dangerous without absolute control.

If you are in a pinch, and you need to take your car on this trip, go down to the dealership and buy OEM bushings. If you do not think you can do it yourself, take it to a shop or someone you trust and pay them to install them. You will save a lot of money that way.

Considering that you can get a re-manufactured rack and pinion for $299.00, $2200 is WAY to expensive in my opinion. For that price, I would just take it to Lexus.

PS
I had this same exact issue when I bought my '92. I replaced the bushings and have been driving it since. My rack is worn and leaks a little, but it is not unsafe.

Last edited by damnDSM; 04-02-09 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-02-09, 07:11 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please do not pay that to fix the issue.

To take the rack out it is literally 1 bolt off the wheel hub on each side (ball joint) and the two bolts that hold the rack in place. The final bolt is the one that links the steering arm to the rack. Then you pull the whole unit through one side of the wheel. That is 5 bolts.

Then walk down (or drive if you have a buddy or other vehicle ) to Advance Auto or NAPA or where ever you have around you and get the rack. I got mine from advanced and it cost me 150-200 after the core. Tell them to order it and then walk in with yours and you do not have to front the money. I would advised to buy new outter tie rods as you make the change since the rack will come with the inner tie rods. Then just put it back in and change out the bushings like was said above.

Do not let a shop violate your back end like that. With the resources on this forum and the potential help you can get around there from forum members you will have a ton of cash.

Good Luck!!!
Old 04-02-09, 09:13 AM
BSC300TT
Lead Lap

I dont think its the rack i think its the sensor on the high pressure hose at the rack that is for the electronic assist. check that first.
Old 04-02-09, 10:07 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

First and foremost NEVER EVER TAKE A LEXUS TO GOODYEAR.

They wanted to charge me over $1100 to replace 2 oxygen sensors, with them quoting $365/sensor X 2 plus labour. They told me the sensors are so expensive because "its a Lexus". They are actually worth less than $100 each.

ZMEGOBY and DamnDSM are right on the money, read up on the steering rack threads on here, and find yourself a reliable and trusted technician. Good luck resolving your issue.
Old 04-02-09, 10:38 AM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
First and foremost NEVER EVER TAKE A LEXUS TO GOODYEAR.
Never take anything to goodyear... or firestone. From my experience they're both hacks who will try to screw you every chance they get. do it yourself or go to a mom and pop place with good rep. seems like the mom and pop places are the only ones that realize they have to keep customers.
Old 04-02-09, 12:45 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Enigma8246
Never take anything to goodyear... or firestone. From my experience they're both hacks who will try to screw you every chance they get. do it yourself or go to a mom and pop place with good rep. seems like the mom and pop places are the only ones that realize they have to keep customers.
I worked for Firestone for two years... I can't speak for every location, but the three that I worked at were very honest, straightforward shops with very well experienced technicians...

They do charge retail prices however, they are a retail shop. That being said, if you have a problem with something, they will take care of it, whereas the little mom and pop shop probably will not, or would be less likely to...

They have a set markup amount and it may be more expensive than you can buy it other places, but, bear in mind, that a shop has to own the burden of replacing that part should it fail whilst under warranty...

For the most part, you should be able to take your vehicle to any Firestone and get dealer like service without paying dealer prices... Sometimes, however, prices on aftermarket parts can and are more expensive than dealer parts, especially when you take into account a markup that is added to them to sell at retail pricing...

Now, for the original problem - I'm sure you can find someone with a set of the steering rack bushings for about $30 or so, and it takes about an hour to install them, leaving the rack in the car... they are a mild pain in the butt to do...

Before you do anything though, please confirm that is the problem. You want to have someone sit in the car, with it running, foot on the brakes. Have them move the steering wheel side to side. If you can look underneath the front of the car and see the rack and pinion move more than 1 mm or so (basically anything more than flexing), then those bushings are shot. If the rack stays put, then next most likely culprit is the pressure sensor.