Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Vibration in Steering (Steering Rack?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-09, 06:09 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Vibration in Steering (Steering Rack?)

Flushed the power steering pump this afternoon.... Had a vibration while turning only left before and after the flush. Nothing while turning right. I am leaning toward the filter on the rack and pinion that everyone is talking about cleaning and reinstalling, due to being clogged up. Or the worse, the whole rack is bad... Any ideas or links... I have searched on here but nothing on the specific problem I am having with the shaking.... Again only when I turn left, and not all the way left. Its weird.... Please help!
Old 04-04-09, 09:09 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

what kind of vibration???

any specific speed, at a stop, cruise, etc?

does it shake or does it push back / is hard to turn?

could also be lower control arm bushings, steering rack bushings, or even brakes...
Old 04-04-09, 11:13 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am with Cody. When you turn left you load the right front wheel. Wheel bearings that have gone bad on me in the past have made a lot of noise in one turn or another but they didn't vibrate.

AGAIN, let a shop diagnose your problem if you are confused. Have a couple front end shops give you a diagnosis and an estimate on the repair cost. Get more than one and compare their findings. If they are different...get a third cause somebody is lying. The Lex dealer will diagnose any problem for 1 hour labor or about $80 but you only need them for complicated Lex stuff.

Good luck here and let us know what it was.

John
Old 04-08-09, 07:35 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Thanks Cody and John for the details on what my problem might be. I will try and explain it a little more for Cody...
The vibration only occurs when you turn left and not right. It shakes the steering wheel and I can also feel it on the brake pedal. It quits vibrating after I start to turn the wheel 2 times or so back right. It also makes the rpms drop below normal a little until the vibration quits, then back to normal 550 rpm.
I decided to flush the power steering and it did it again while i was backing out of the driveway for the trest drive. i was hoping it was something caused maybe by dirty fluid. I remember reading something about the filter on the rack gets clogged up and needs to be cleaned. Is this a possibility?
This only happens when I am turning the wheel from a dead stop or slightly rolling. Not even 5 mph. To me its not hard to turn, than normal.
I have noticed a little noise coming from the left front side when brakes are applied, and when its jacked up, I can turn the right one for several turns before stopping, but the left one will only spin for about 3 times or so, and you can a little noise coming form the brakes hitting the rotor. Some screeching going on, not bad, but noticeable.
I have changed out the brakes and rotors twice. I think its a collapsed brake line or one of the pistons inside the caliper is sticking. Maybe a wheel bearing?
I have changed out all the upper and lower bushings, struts, strut mounts, sway bar bushings, sway bar links, rack and pinion bushings, motor mounts, and transmission mount, back in December.
Any more ideas? Sorry for the long reply, but I wanted to be precise!
Old 04-09-09, 12:12 AM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Bearings! Easy to verify....jack it up and check for play at 12 and 6 and then at 3 and 9 on the clock. You should feel the play in both axis but the pads might limit it a little in the 3 and 9 posit. Try that now so you will have the results for Cody when he gets back on dry land and can give you a call.

HTH,

John
Old 04-09-09, 09:34 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

My car is back in the shop yet again for the A/C repair.. Its leaked down again.. After a new compressor, receiver/dryer, expansion valve, and evaporator core... WTF? I hope its under warranty with the local mechanic... I know all the parts are. Maybe a simple fix... Will keep everyone posted on what I find when I get the car back. Keep the comments and opinions coming!!!
Old 04-09-09, 10:25 AM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

The leak shouldn't be a guess. They have detectors that will point you at the device thaty is bad. Big problem with changing out all the components is that when a hose leaks you replace the entireys to find out you didn't need to do that. $85 at Lex and they will tell you what is wrong and where.

John
Old 04-09-09, 10:35 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I believe thats exactly what happened. First it was the compressor on the front seal, then the evaporator core... Thats why I did replace the compressor, the expansion valve and receiver/dryer. They did put a green dye in it last time, because they showed me the core where it was seeping through the bottom of it. Hopefully, they can fix this time. Maybe good news! Keep you posted...
Old 04-09-09, 11:42 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

sometimes its as simple as a valve... good luck... the dye is the way to go... refrigerant leak detectors work great, to an extent... its always easier to see the dye than it is to depend on a machine beeping when it thinks there is freon close...
Old 04-09-09, 11:56 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Thanks Cody and John for the details on what my problem might be. I will try and explain it a little more for Cody...
The vibration only occurs when you turn left and not right. It shakes the steering wheel and I can also feel it on the brake pedal. It quits vibrating after I start to turn the wheel 2 times or so back right. It also makes the rpms drop below normal a little until the vibration quits, then back to normal 550 rpm.
I decided to flush the power steering and it did it again while i was backing out of the driveway for the trest drive. i was hoping it was something caused maybe by dirty fluid. I remember reading something about the filter on the rack gets clogged up and needs to be cleaned. Is this a possibility?
This only happens when I am turning the wheel from a dead stop or slightly rolling. Not even 5 mph. To me its not hard to turn, than normal.
I have noticed a little noise coming from the left front side when brakes are applied, and when its jacked up, I can turn the right one for several turns before stopping, but the left one will only spin for about 3 times or so, and you can a little noise coming form the brakes hitting the rotor. Some screeching going on, not bad, but noticeable.
I have changed out the brakes and rotors twice. I think its a collapsed brake line or one of the pistons inside the caliper is sticking. Maybe a wheel bearing?
I have changed out all the upper and lower bushings, struts, strut mounts, sway bar bushings, sway bar links, rack and pinion bushings, motor mounts, and transmission mount, back in December.
Any more ideas? Sorry for the long reply, but I wanted to be precise!
sounds like a steering rack problem to an extent, but the noise and resistance coming from the front worries me too... have you looked at the steering rack bushings? that would be #1 on my list, second would be the brakes, third to make sure the rest of the front end is tight... then my next option would be to look extra close at the rack...
Old 04-09-09, 12:09 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Mechanic just called and said it was leaking around the compressor again. This is the second leak on this Ebay compressor, but a different place this time. I have contacted them, and hopefully they will send me another one ASAP. I will look at this thing MOnday morning and see what lies ahead.. I have replaced the rack bushings last December, along with everything listed above. I will double check all of the torques again and let everyone know what I find out. Thanks for the replies....
Old 06-09-09, 07:40 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

interesting.. i have the same problem but only when i turn right when at a stop or rolling at less than 5mph. my brakes squeal a little on the drivers side and i have the vibration in the steering wheel when turning.

did you ever figure out what the problem was?
Old 06-12-09, 08:05 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I have not figured out what the problem is. I now notice thats its doing it more and now on the right side. Originally it was only the left. I am real determined to figure it out. I personally think its the rack. I have tightened every thing up again, and double checked everything. Its gotta be the rack.
Old 07-04-09, 05:59 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

have you checked for any power steering leaks? my power steering reservoir was empty and i have a leak in the return hose. i filled it up with fluid and my problem went away.
Old 07-05-09, 12:54 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I dont think I have a leak coming from the resevoir. I will double check tomorrow after I replace another hose on the car. I will keep you posted.