Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Why don't more people use RCA's

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 09:50 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
To prove your point...go ahead and make a full set...and install on your ride. Let us know what it costs you (including research and testing time) to do it.

There is no research or testing involved.
For R&D it is just fitting it, as long as you don't create a sharp edge for a stress fracture it will be fine. So curve the edges of the aluminum and it will hold up quite well . It is really just a spacer to put it simply. It only holds pressure on one axis with the bolts so no shear pressure is on it.

It really is simple to make but my gs is for my wife so i don't even care about dropping it. Aluminum is soft that using a saw is quick to form teh overall shape. Then use a drill for the bolt holes.

They also have copy machines with arms that move a cutter drill over a peice of metal to form an exact copy of whatever you are using as a template , just move the arm over it and turn . I would not be supreised if ever company making RCA's used this to make a copy and then add a few angels and powder coating to make it look different.
Old 04-16-09, 09:54 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Also the ball joints are not weak , the suspension is poorly designed so when the strut rod bushings start to go they allow shear pressure on the bolts of the ball joints allowing them to wear faster from multiple axis of pressure .
If you do not maintain all of the parts then all of them will fail faster starting with the ball joint . I keep seeing people post blaming the ball joints when they are the end result of the issue not the precursor causing it.
Old 04-16-09, 11:14 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skperformance

It really is simple to make but my gs is for my wife so i don't even care about dropping it. Aluminum is soft that using a saw is quick to form teh overall shape. Then use a drill for the bolt holes.
You wouldn't be able to make this with just a saw and drill. The issue would come with the center area clearing the arm on the car. I'm sure there are ways around it but the problem would be making it clean by hand would be a real PITA. Also making a flat bottom counter sink for the inserts would be a chore by hand, again, there probably are ways to do it by hand but it wont be as clean as a machined part and the amount of time it would take to do by hand would negate any of the savings over just buying a pre-made piece. Using a HAAS would be easy but not everyone owns a $100,000 CNC mill and the shops that do own them charge a pretty penny for their time.
Old 04-16-09, 11:37 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I see the purpose and benefits of using the RCA's to bring back the car to factory alignment spec, my biggest fear is for those that track their GS extensively. Has anyone really put these things under extreme conditions to see if they are track worthly. I'm sure that most people here use the RCA's mainly due to slamming their car. But in my case, I push my GS to it limits and know that if I ever need to correct suspension geometry,it's best to fabricate new control arms out of chromoly tubing. After that last incident with the bolt breaking off of one of the RCA kits sold by one of our vendor, it got me to start doubting the quality of these kits under extreme use.
Old 04-16-09, 11:58 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The bolt breaking was only 1 incident ever known, and it happened to one of the two bolt, so its a torquing issue rather than quality. EXACT recommended a torque spec of 120ftlb which is near/at the limits of the grade 12.9 for that particular size. Couple the car's weight into the equation and you'll have a lot of tension acting on the bolt. The RCAs themselves do not have to be super strong. What needs to be strong are the bolts and the 2 inner metal sleeve that slides into the knuckle arm.
Old 04-17-09, 02:29 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
The bolt breaking was only 1 incident ever known, and it happened to one of the two bolt, so its a torquing issue rather than quality. EXACT recommended a torque spec of 120ftlb which is near/at the limits of the grade 12.9 for that particular size. Couple the car's weight into the equation and you'll have a lot of tension acting on the bolt. The RCAs themselves do not have to be super strong. What needs to be strong are the bolts and the 2 inner metal sleeve that slides into the knuckle arm.
Regarding this...I thought Rominl said Exact was looking into this over-torqing issue....doing research and such....suppose to report back to CL of their findings....or something like that.

I see Exact removed the torque to 120 ft/lb for front RCA bolts info from their website....and said to follow instructions attached with purchase. Does anyone know if their instructions still require 120 ft/lbs?

Last edited by PHML; 04-17-09 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-17-09, 04:38 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by macd7919
You wouldn't be able to make this with just a saw and drill. The issue would come with the center area clearing the arm on the car. I'm sure there are ways around it but the problem would be making it clean by hand would be a real PITA. Also making a flat bottom counter sink for the inserts would be a chore by hand, again, there probably are ways to do it by hand but it wont be as clean as a machined part and the amount of time it would take to do by hand would negate any of the savings over just buying a pre-made piece. Using a HAAS would be easy but not everyone owns a $100,000 CNC mill and the shops that do own them charge a pretty penny for their time.

Here is how to make them as they really are that simple ,remeber aluminumis super soft so it takes seconds to drill through it.

choose thickness required of aluminum block ,cut to specs ($20)
outline ball joint surface area
drill holes for studs (Aluminum drill bit $5)
trace outline on metal block
drill notch for ball joint and arm clearances
drill holes in block for all corners
use a saw and cut straight lines to each drill point (Aluminum saw blade $3)
sand down edges
buy appropriate bolts and washers ($5)
install and plan what to do with the 400 dollars

repeat steps to make the rears.

I am making it sounds overly easy and i do understand the true costs to making this , it is all in the autocad 3d graphing for the cnc mill. The materials is nothing in comparison.

Cutoms copying 1 set would cost about $800 to make 1 pair after that it is gravy as the work is already done and it needs to be left to run the program by itself.
Old 04-17-09, 07:11 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Geez..you sounding like a car salesman!!

$5??? I guess you gonna rock only a single 12.9 bolt!! Or...buy 4 low grade bolts that will snap when torqued at 25 ft/lbs.!!!

Btw...remind me not to buy anything from you!!!

Last edited by PHML; 04-17-09 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-18-09, 05:32 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is how to make them as they really are that simple ,remeber aluminumis super soft so it takes seconds to drill through it.

choose thickness required of aluminum block ,cut to specs ($20)
outline ball joint surface area
drill holes for studs (Aluminum drill bit $5)
trace outline on metal block
drill notch for ball joint and arm clearances
drill holes in block for all corners
use a saw and cut straight lines to each drill point (Aluminum saw blade $3)
sand down edges
install and plan what to do with the 400 dollars

repeat steps to make the rears.

I am making it sounds overly easy and i do understand the true costs to making this , it is all in the autocad 3d graphing for the cnc mill. The materials is nothing in comparison.

Cutoms copying 1 set would cost about $800 to make 1 pair after that it is gravy as the work is already done and it needs to be left to run the program by itself.
This sounds more like a Home Depot RCA kit from aisle 6. Good luck with it..
Old 04-18-09, 02:31 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

You can buy High tensile strength bolts for pennies but home depot charge alot for them . When you go to a wholesaler who sells everything for fasteners it is easy to get for $0.35 cents each.

I guess because i have been in the buisness for years and worked with manufactures making products ,what seems like tons of time is totally different to how i see it from the back room.

Its not like i am trying to sell them or even bother making them , i am just telling you like it is . It is harder to make a wheel spacer than it is to make these as it needs a lathe as well as a CNC.
Now how much does a wheel spacer cost?
Old 04-19-09, 08:37 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

too much money for such small items
Old 04-20-09, 06:43 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

After reading this...I'm sold. Going to get a set before I buy wheels.
Old 04-20-09, 09:25 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I still have my set of Exact front RCAs and adjustable rear RCAs chilling in my trunk. Ha.