Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Why don't more people use RCA's

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-09, 10:53 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Why don't more people use RCA's

Just wondering why more people on the board don't use RCA's to help with their camber/suspension travel issues. Do they have downsides or is it just too expensive?
Old 04-14-09, 11:22 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good question.
Old 04-14-09, 11:24 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

I have been wondering as they seem to be a effective fix for camber/suspension travel issues. PHML, don't you have them on your car? What did you think before and after, any noticeable difference in handling, tire life etc..?
Old 04-14-09, 11:40 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally Posted by macd7919
I have been wondering as they seem to be a effective fix for camber/suspension travel issues. PHML, don't you have them on your car? What did you think before and after, any noticeable difference in handling, tire life etc..?
Yah...I have them on my ride...I really dont feel any difference at all in terms of driving feel.

I raised my car up by 1" to compensate for the 1" drop.

I used the most inner setting (add maximum positive camber) for the rear RCA...and with 20s...and 1 finger gap....Im actually showing too much positive camber now. ...which is a good thing.

I need to use the center insert setting...and I should be good...within specs.

I'll take it for alignment later for the actual numbers....since Im just eyeballing it.

Pete
Old 04-14-09, 11:50 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking about getting them, but I'll be on springs when I do. I want them to compensate for the drop not being too much, and still have a decent ride. Tire wear is not a big deal, compared to how low I am already on coilovers.
Old 04-14-09, 11:57 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Do you think the price an issue for most people? For instance, if they were only $150 instead of $300 do you think they would be in wider use or do they just not make that much of a difference?
Old 04-15-09, 12:17 AM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont use them because i like the look of camber, i need the camber for my wheels to clear, & i have base height adjustable coilovers so i have more than enough travel anyway *Shrug*
Old 04-15-09, 12:19 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I think they are expensive and people don't really understand what they do.
Old 04-15-09, 12:19 AM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guessing cuz most ppl don't know what it is, or feel they don't have a need for it.. second is probably price plus the time and money for install, guess it could add up to a set of used coilovers.
Old 04-15-09, 12:44 AM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah i dont know what it is, but i read about it on the Group Buy. If i did buy uit, I wouldn't know what to do with it after that haha.

So can someone explain?

Last edited by PHML; 04-15-09 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-15-09, 01:18 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I have it on my car and it helps give me a bit more wheel travel. Either way I still don't have much wheel travel even after I installed the RCAs.
Old 04-15-09, 01:22 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

In japan, they're quite popular...companies like Night Pager and You Zealand Body makes them, but are known as Super Stroke (SS) kits. They vary in sizes....popular sizes are the 25mm and 30mm (approx. 1 inch)....but none of the rears are adjustable.

In the states, companies like SAGE and EXACT refined the Japan SS kit design and developed inserts to provide adjustments to fix the rear negative camber problems.
Old 04-15-09, 01:36 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

You think if they were more like $100 a set than $300 a set they would sell better, lol...
Old 04-15-09, 01:46 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Originally Posted by TomLee
Yeah i dont know what it is, but i read about it on the Group Buy. If i did buy uit, I wouldn't know what to do with it after that haha.

So can someone explain?

The short answer is : Your car will handle better, because it corrects the poor suspension geometry that occurs when you lower the car beyond it's practical design limits. Look at the people who are posting that they are breaking their sway bar end links, that's a geometry problem not a strength issue with the part.

The long answer is easy to find on wiki or Google : RCA = Roll Center Adapter = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roll_center

I think the problem with the long answer is most people will not have either the time, understanding, desire or all three to care about improving roll center on their lowered car.

My thoughts are that the people who "would " be interested in RCAs are those who "Truly" are interested in performance driving and handling of their GS or those that don't wish to prematurely wear out the inner 10% of their tire tread and then have to throw the tire away.

Another performance perspective is rear camber also hurts straight line traction, since the tire is not in full contact with the ground and you are effectively losing maybe 50% or more of your available grip. Any drag racer in their right mind is going to make sure their tires are square to the ground with zero camber.

For those that don't drive around turns too fast, or where handling or straight line traction is not a priority, then RCA's are not going to be important.

Unlike the rear, some camber in the front is a good performance handling aspect, but that's a whole other topic.

For me , the biggest difference I felt after installing the RCAs is the improvement in bump steer (Google It). While taking a high speed turn on a slightly bumpy winding road, the car was "MUCH" more stable when I hit uneven spots. Before I had the RCAs installed, hitting that same bump would cause the car's rear end to become loosey goosey. Not a comfortable feeling at all and a great potential to spin the car.

If you want your slammed GS to handle like an M5, get the RCAs. If you are more interested in the stance and look of excessive camber, then RCA's are probably not for you.

That said, there are "other" good reasons why people would want RCAs, but I'll let those people provide their own response.

Thanks to EXACT* Motorsports for providing me with the FIRST adjustable rear RCAs on the market and extended length front RCAs.

http://www.exactmotorsports.com/GScamberkits.html

Exact* Price as of 4/15/09 = Front RCA for $179.99 a pair, rear $299.99 a pair

* CL Approved Vendor

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-15-09 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-15-09, 01:50 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally Posted by macd7919
You think if they were more like $100 a set than $300 a set they would sell better, lol...
Im sure it would sell quicker at that price for pure material only...but there was alot of R&D, testing, and marketing involved....which is required for a suspension part.

Btw...the You Zealand Body rear SS Kit goes for more in Japan...can you imagine the cost to ship them to the states? Plus, they're not adjustable.

Quick Reply: Why don't more people use RCA's