Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

electrical issue: hit brakes, CD player turns off wtf

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-09, 12:22 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default electrical issue: hit brakes, CD player turns off wtf

It started as an intermittent issue then the car just gave out.

Condition:
-slow, low speed crawling driving only
-when i put load on the electric, the battery light comes on
-it was initially when i tap the brakes, the CD player would turn off. Then it got progressively worse...tap on brakes and check battery light turned on --> tap on brakes CD player died --> tap on brakes+CD+climate --> tap on brakes+CD+climate+car almost shutting off --> CD+climate+car completely shut off in the middle of effing Chicago.

What the hell could be the issue here?

I have stock Nakamichi audio with the plagued front driver side speaker cutting out symptom. The only electrical mod I have is DIY iPod input thing thats been working great for two years. I don't even have LED taillights.

I'm probably going to take it to the dealership for diagnosis (pray for me guys...tracing electrical problems....sigh), but just wanted to know if anyone had any similar case. Searched but not previous threads btw.
Old 04-19-09, 12:30 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a grounding issue, similar to the "pop" sound you get sometimes with a aftermarket radio when you hit the brakes (those yours seems like a much stronger one than just the draw from the actual lights).

Check for any wires around the brake pedal area that may have been damaged/worn, for instance, anything that could be contacting a moving part of the pedal. Do you have an aftermarket alarm/remote start? These are basically just places to start.

One other thing, try pulling the fuse out of the tail light slot and then see if the problem goes away, that should cut power to the circuit and possibly stop the issue, that would help you narrow it down.

Sorry I can't be of more help on this one.
Old 04-19-09, 01:31 PM
kit cat

No aftermarket alarm .
I'll check around the pedal and the fuse for the tail. Hopefully there's something going around there.

The weird thing is, the problem hasn't happened after the night it occurred and completely died on me.
Old 04-19-09, 02:38 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

If it's not a problem you can replicate I wouldn't take it to the dealer. Most likely they won't be able to replicate it and you will just be stuck with a bill and being without a car for a day. Try to find the exact series of events that will cause it to happen or wait until it happens consistently before you take it in.
Old 04-19-09, 03:11 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by macd7919
Most likely they won't be able to replicate it and you will just be stuck with a bill and being without a car for a day.
thats what I was afraid of, thanks for the tip man. I'll try to fix or replicate it...ugh.
Old 04-21-09, 10:25 AM
Amjadi123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey ive had the same exact problem with my gs300. I was at a duckin donuts at what do you know right when i exit towards the street, my car dies as soon as im on the little slope on the street. I try and jump it but it dies as soon as i hit the brakes to change gear to drive. So i unplugged the radio shut off wipers and a/c. waited 5 mins and it worked again. Since then ( 2 days ago) ive replaced the battery and havent went to see if it starts up i will try after school though. If it doesnt start what do you think could be the problem....thanks a bunch
Old 04-21-09, 03:41 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

I think you guys should have your charging system checked out. Should be 13.2 V - 14.5 with car running.
Old 04-21-09, 05:58 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I think you guys should have your charging system checked out. Should be 13.2 V - 14.5 with car running.
x2.... . . . .x2 x2 x2
Old 04-21-09, 08:39 PM
Loud1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had this same problem changed battery checked grounds and still had the same problem, come to find out the power terminal for the car on the battery terminal was loose. no problems since
Old 04-21-09, 09:39 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by Loud1
had this same problem changed battery checked grounds and still had the same problem, come to find out the power terminal for the car on the battery terminal was loose. no problems since
Interesting you say this b/c I got a new battery few months ago. The new battery had smaller terminals and it wasn't charging and I got new terminals....but like $5 Autozone brand ones. I'll go there and see if they can check my alternator (can they?) and try new terminals.
Old 04-21-09, 11:31 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Do this, just for a temp fix. Just get a small screw, 1/2" or something and loosen your terminal enough that you can fit it on the inside of the terminal between the battery post and the terminal. Once you get it in there tighten the terminal back up, it will make sure it's nice and tight, drive it around for a few days like that and see if it gets rid of the problem, if it does then you know you have a terminal issue. You can use that on both terminals if you like.
Old 04-22-09, 12:16 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.but like $5 Autozone brand ones

I think thats your problem
try and get the toyota terminal
You werent able to change the negative terminal right?
Old 04-22-09, 08:23 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by macd7919
Do this, just for a temp fix. Just get a small screw, 1/2" or something and loosen your terminal enough that you can fit it on the inside of the terminal between the battery post and the terminal. Once you get it in there tighten the terminal back up, it will make sure it's nice and tight, drive it around for a few days like that and see if it gets rid of the problem, if it does then you know you have a terminal issue. You can use that on both terminals if you like.
Originally Posted by toy4life86
.but like $5 Autozone brand ones

I think thats your problem
try and get the toyota terminal
You werent able to change the negative terminal right?
The terminal is the right size now. I just can't use the OEM one anymore b/c the battery terminal is smaller. the negative seems to be working fine but I may just go ahead and get new ones.

and it hasn't been doing it since that one time. It's creeping me out.
Old 04-22-09, 09:39 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Sounds like one of the power cables is loose from the battery. That's why it's intermittent.
Old 04-22-09, 03:44 PM
kit cat

went to autozone today...

battery was low on charge
alternator was fine (had max of 15.2 amp and 13.8 amp)

checked battery terminals and both positive and negative terminals are on there tight.

ugh, i hate tracing electrical issues!

Quick Reply: electrical issue: hit brakes, CD player turns off wtf