Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sway Bar combination

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 04:53 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sway Bar combination

Sewell has a special on sway bar (TRD).

I was thinking of getting just the rear trd sway. But if there is a dramatic improvement to get the front and rear trd or another combination, that would also be a possibility of purchase.

Has anyone ran a setup where they have a different combination of sways?

Stock front + TRD blue rear
TRD Blue front + Stock rear

etc...
Old 04-28-09, 05:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I ran the stock front and rear sway bar, and also the full setup. The front bar makes a difference...almost night and day. The rear bar by itself has a noticeable improvement in reducing body roll, but it really works better with the front. If you do upgrade the rear bar only, be careful if you're lowered on OEM or soft springs. You might put too much load on the bar and it'll snap.
Old 04-28-09, 05:04 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Ahh..thanks. I'll get front and rear then. I'm on eibach + bilstein sports.
Old 04-28-09, 05:07 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't recommend experimenting with the TRD blue bars and the stock ones. There is no advantage and quite possibly a really wicked handling car would result. These are a matched set and they are very well matched. Mixing bar rates is best left to someone who knows what they are doing and are doing it for some given application like a given race track. On the street you will likely make an automotive nightmare that will just be waiting to bite you hard. The TRD blues are a significant step up from the stock bars and I suspect that any combination with the stock would only be a big step backwards from using either pair on their own as far as balance. The TRD blue, Sportivo, and stock bars are very well matched and I suspect all you will do with mixing and matching is make them worse.
Old 04-28-09, 05:36 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do the TRD bars compare to the Daizens?
Old 04-28-09, 06:38 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
How do the TRD bars compare to the Daizens?
Blues are close but are a little stiffer. Sportivos are less stiff. The TRDs come with molded rubber bushings while the Daizen use polyurethane that doesn't have the compliance of the rubber bushing but doesn't really affect roll stiffness very much. Has slightly more impact on response but on the street, I prefer the molded rubber to poly. On a 430 you can go either way. My 430 has Bilstein Sports while my wife's GS3 has Bilstein HDs with Sportivos and it is the better handling/riding combination. The Sports and blues are better handling on the 430 but at the expense of ride. That combination is unsuitable on the 300.
Old 04-28-09, 07:02 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Just fyi TRD sway are 478 using GSTRD
Daizen sway is 439 using CLUBLEXUS
Old 04-29-09, 07:18 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Sam, I don't mean to hijack your thread here but I have one last question for Gferg and others: I have seen a lot of people say that the Daizen's are 95% as "good" as the TRD bars but sacrifice far less ride quality. Some even say that it doesn't impact ride quality at all.

Does anyone have experience with this? If that's true I will probably lean more towards the Daizen bars.
Old 04-29-09, 07:52 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Daizen was the 2nd set I had after TRD. Obviously jumping from TRD to Daizen made an impact in handling because I had the Daizens at the softest setting initially. Eventually I kept on moving up a notch and before I knew it, I had the Daizens at their stiffest setting. The TRDs do not ride ridiculously hard contrary to what many people believe. We're not talking about S2000/EVO hard at all..not even close, but they are practically the same as the Daizens on bad roads.

I've met many TRD-sway owners in person and all of them told me the whole thing about TRD being very hard is blown out of proportion. Quite frankly, I have to agree. The ride is comparable to a 3/5-series with sports suspension.

I do have to give credit to Daizen though... their softest setting isn't so bad as far as ride quality, but you do lose the ability to fight body roll. You can immediately feel the difference between soft and hard just by driving around local streets.
Old 04-29-09, 06:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys I have a bone stock 01 GS430 and I'm considering picking up a set of these bars. Will these work fine with stock springs? Also, I remember seeing someone's post about breaking something in the suspension with these. Do I need to upgrade something else to run these?

Also, am I gonna see a big improvement with these over stock sways?
Old 04-29-09, 09:38 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Guys I have a bone stock 01 GS430 and I'm considering picking up a set of these bars. Will these work fine with stock springs? Also, I remember seeing someone's post about breaking something in the suspension with these. Do I need to upgrade something else to run these?

Also, am I gonna see a big improvement with these over stock sways?
You will see a big improvement over stock sways. I currently have daizen sways. My only regret was not doing this earlier so I could have used them more.
I would suggest though that you need to at least replace your shocks, especially if you're still on the original shocks, and take the opportunity to use stiffer shocks. My feeling before I changed my shocks to bilstein HDs (at 60k): there was be a "deadzone" area of body roll while beginning a manuever before the sways kicked in and took effect.
Additionally, there was a large imbalance between dive/squat versus side/side body roll, since sways have no effect if both sides are going up/down simultaneously.

Plus your mechanic may give you a slight discount when you do them together.
Old 04-30-09, 03:59 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well at this point I would rather just upgrade the sways, I dont know if I want stiffer suspension - I think GS stock suspension is pretty stiff as it is, the body and chassis rigidity however leaves much to be desired.
Old 04-30-09, 07:31 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Och,

If it has ever crossed your mind, I would highly recommend dropping the car on Tanabe DF210s. I posted a thread about how hard, harsh, and stiff my ride was when my car was completely stock. A month later I dropped my car on the Tanabe springs with KYB GR-2 shocks and I was honestly amazed at how much smoother the ride was and how the "crashy-ness" and stiff nature was gone. My car now glides over imperfections and even speed bumps with only the slightest of a "bump" here or there.

I never thought that a dropped car would ride smoother and more compliantly than a stock one but that is definitely the case. The lower center of gravity also feels nice, and the aesthetics are better, but the ride is far and away the best thing about these springs.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-09, 02:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Och,

If it has ever crossed your mind, I would highly recommend dropping the car on Tanabe DF210s. I posted a thread about how hard, harsh, and stiff my ride was when my car was completely stock. A month later I dropped my car on the Tanabe springs with KYB GR-2 shocks and I was honestly amazed at how much smoother the ride was and how the "crashy-ness" and stiff nature was gone. My car now glides over imperfections and even speed bumps with only the slightest of a "bump" here or there.

I never thought that a dropped car would ride smoother and more compliantly than a stock one but that is definitely the case. The lower center of gravity also feels nice, and the aesthetics are better, but the ride is far and away the best thing about these springs.

Good luck.
Well I cant drop it because I'm gonna be riding on oversize sidewall tires, and I dont want any clearance issues. Plus, I dont want negative camber. Now keeping stock springs and upgrading shocks, that I might consider sometime down the road
Old 05-04-09, 06:13 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

I just received the trd sways. The front is HEAVY!... the rear is dinky. I haven't put it on yet but I'm thinking that if anyone want to buy the trd sway should just get the front.

But what do I know, I haven't even put them on yet ...not even close to mix'n and matching.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar combination