Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Wheel Spacers Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-02, 06:42 PM
BADGS400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as long as they dont stick out much more than an inch i think its alright, but i do know that if you broke an axle or bent it or anything lexus would definately point the the finger at the spacers even if it had nothing to do with it, or it would have broke either way, trust me if they can find a reason to blame it on you then they will....Any dealers dont flame me for saying that but thats how it is the "majority of the time" but if your lucky and live in a big city you will have a few dealers to pick from...then you can BS the dealer...gottta love that
Old 03-19-02, 06:51 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

does the spacers affect the strength or rigidity of the studs or anything? I don't wanna have these on my car and all of a sudden they break or something

No one needs these spacers more than my 16x7.5 rear wheels! How much are these H&R spacers? Widest is 25mm? How hard to install? Thanks!
Old 03-19-02, 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally posted by LexDriver18
I was just thinking that, if I had an 8.5" wide wheel and then used a 1" spacer (for rear only!)... it be equivalant to having a 9.5" wheel back there!! Right?? Or are there some other factors that I don't know about??
Wrong (I think), and yes.

Remember, if a rim is CENTERED, then the extra width sticks out on each side of center, so a 9.5" rim might only stick out 1/2" on EACH SIDE depending on the offsets.

So I'd recommend the 15mm spacer with the 8.5" rim, but I'm certainly no expert on spacers.
Old 03-19-02, 07:16 PM
BADGS400
Driver

yes a spacer will effect strenth nobody can disagree with this it is common sence and simple science and math, i dotn kown how much it will effect strength or if will be hardly any strenth at all, just think about it, (made of same material)you have a 1foot ruler(axle w/o spacer) then you have a yard stick(axle w/ spacer) wich one do you think can hold more weight at the end of it? the yard stick or ruler? the ruler obviously, i realize it isnt that great of a comparison but that is how it works, i dotn think that a spacer will make it twice as weak or anything like that but i will make it weaker period.
Old 03-19-02, 08:15 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

$149.00 retail price for 25mm (1 inch) spacer for the rear.. Looks like a solid piece and I don't see why it wouldn't work to push the wheels out to cure the tucked in look from the factory 17's or even 16's.. My only concern would be alignment but i'm no expert when it comes to things like these.. Maybe someone with the mechanical know how can elaborate on that for us..
Old 03-19-02, 09:59 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by 2SAVVY

$149.00 retail price for 25mm (1 inch) spacer for the rear.. Looks like a solid piece and I don't see why it wouldn't work to push the wheels out to cure the tucked in look from the factory 17's or even 16's.. My only concern would be alignment but i'm no expert when it comes to things like these.. Maybe someone with the mechanical know how can elaborate on that for us..
is that price for 1 spacer or a pair? thanks.

My concern is not alignment, but rigidity and strength issues. Since I have lifetime alignment from a wheel/tire shop I don't need to worry about installing these and alignment.
Old 03-20-02, 12:40 AM
flm
Driver

globeclk i have a pair for sale~ i'm getting wider rims so i don't need those. email me at chinoxl@shaw.ca if you or anyone is interested...i will let it go cheap~
Old 03-20-02, 04:35 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Globe that is for a pair of spacers according to H&R's website.. Carparts.com I believe sell them as well and perhaps Tirerack does too.. Don't have time to check right now but thanks for the input on alignment.. Strength I don't see being a problem unless you intend to take the GS offroading.. Just my 2 cents!
Old 03-20-02, 08:34 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Default spacers

What's up everyone.... Here is my two cents on this subject.

I used to compete in the lowrider arena years a go with a slammed hardbody w/z rack. On this truck I had a set of spacers on all four wheels that made my centerlines stick out about an inch a half(you know, that look was in a bout 6 years ago). Now keep in mind that this is a mini truck with wide rims that stuck out. I used to abuse the hell out of this little truck driving and in competition. I never had a problem with my spacers and they were not "H&R" quality. I think I paid like $30 for them. But the they made a big diference. The point I am trying to make is that it would definately depend on your driving habbits. Me personally, I baby my GS, so I would and will use them. Looks are awesome. Especially if you like the stock look of the 17's, but want a more agressive look as I do. Also consider trying a 225 series tire. This is my take, hoipefully it helps some of you decide if you want to do it or not. I will post some pics as soon as I get them. By the way, anyone know of a shop in San Diego that carries them ??

Rock
Old 03-20-02, 06:17 PM
jhuzzee
Driver School Candidate

Default WHEEL SPACER - HELP!!!

Hi, it's my first post, and would like to jump in to the topic
since I need some expert opinion.

My wife & I just purchased a 1994 Lexus GS 300. We also
purchased a fancy 18 inch Milano rims from a private party.
Apparently the rims came off of an LS 400.

The challenge is it requires wheel spacers on the front
but not on the rear wheels. We got 2 on each side aftermarket spacers from Kragen (1/4 inch & 1/16 inch = 8.35 millimeters).
Since I don't know much about cars, I did some research on the net and found out I have to replace the studs or buy a spacer kit.

I don't know the measurements, but here's my dilemma:

I dont know if 15 millimeter will in the front.
If did, do I need to put spacers in the rear as well with 15 mil.

or

how about 15 mil. on the front and 25 mil on the rear.

I'm not sure what to do yet, & I don't want to order this spacer
from H&R since I can't return them and they're very expensive.

I would appreciate any input or comments.

Thanks.
Jhuzzee

Jhuzzee9@msn.com
Old 03-20-02, 06:42 PM
BADGS400
Driver

Your car is going to look so dumb you wont want it, wheel spacer in front and back will look like a mexican lowrider! sell the wheels for something that fits your car RIGHT.
Old 03-20-02, 07:56 PM
jhuzzee
Driver School Candidate

Default Wheel Spacer on 94 GS 300

I appreciate your input, but can you give a little bit more
meat on what you meant that it'll look like a "mexican low rider".

Did you mean this was the case if I did 15 mil on front and 25 mil on the rear or the 15 mil on all 4 wheels?

I figured that the tire will come out about 3/4 of an inch out of the
fender well. What do you think?
Old 03-20-02, 08:30 PM
BADGS400
Driver

i dont think you wont my opinion its harsh: I think that if the wheels stick out in front it looks totally stupid and mexican lowride magazine material/white trash wannabes, also the rears sticking out a little is alright by me, but more than an inch....what are you driving a race car or a lexus...if all 4 stick out then its definately lowrider magazine material/gay as hell if its on a lex...do you like my opinion
Old 03-20-02, 08:43 PM
jhuzzee
Driver School Candidate

Default GS 300 spacer

That's why I think it's best if I did 15 all around. It's probably
going to stick out between 1/2 to 3/4 inch. How bad is that?

However somebody recommended to do 25 on rear, which I dont
necessarily agree. One thing for certain, I need to put them spacers on the front rear so the rims won't hit the calipers. I also need to get longer studs for safety reasons. I dont know if front and rear tires are supposed to be even distance from the rotor hub, or the rear is supposed to stick out a little bit out...

Did you have spacer on yours? What kind/size of rims do you
have?

Thx.
Jhuzz
Old 03-20-02, 08:55 PM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

You guys are killing me... You're not driving Hondas, spend some money on nice wheels-- not spacers! (That was a joke )

Spacers aren't great for your car, but they won't rip the a-arms off either. They can wear shocks faster and can make the handling a little more irratic. (The last part depending more on the car and type of spacer) I haven't heard of an alignment problem, though I can see how it might effect the camber/toe.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers Info