Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

clunking noise from rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-09, 01:50 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Megans and have not had problems with them. My clucking came from a bad differential not the suspension. But the clicking from the driver side rear has something to do with the emergency brakes. I have to check that when I get a chance.
Old 10-15-09, 02:28 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by imissmys14
Woww I have the same problem with my megans I just put them on about 1 month ago then I hear a clunking it just started happening I re checked and re installed I can't figure out wtf it is
i haven't heard anybody having this issue from the Megans.... from my searches, it's mostly the Flex's... I'm convinced it's the way they are installed because only a few have the issue.
Old 10-16-09, 02:02 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by imissmys14
Woww I have the same problem with my megans I just put them on about 1 month ago then I hear a clunking it just started happening I re checked and re installed I can't figure out wtf it is
Funny I was going to post up the same Q. today and came across this..I too put Megans on a month ago set at 18 in the rear and just noticed a clunking on the rear passenger side...happens when I drive downhill like 20-30mph brake/gas brake/gas...or puttin around...I made sure there's tension on the spring to collar just in case but,no luck..
Old 11-02-09, 06:19 AM
nemisonic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Luxor
I fixed this problem by taking a impact gun to the middle bolt on the stock tower. It was tight, but not tight enough to go over bumps.
This is what I found too... I found it in the service manual as a TSB to swap out the factory original strut towers with a new design "only if a customer complains about noise over bumps."

So if you order new strut bumpers from the Lexus catalog, they will be the new design... hope this helps.
Old 11-08-09, 06:26 PM
06lex
Driver School Candidate

recently purchased a 2006 gs awd and upgraded to 18" g spiders (that lexus installed). i'm getting this clunking noise as well but on a fully stock setup. car never lowered etc can this be a similar issue? anyone experience this with all lexus oem parts? suggestions?
Old 11-09-09, 05:39 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a suspension 'thud' problem in BOTH sides after supra springs/kyb strut install.

I took it all apart and found that I had overlooked that the rubber in the strut mounts was too thin and it was allowing the spring to ALMOST contact that metal part of the strutmount.

After switching the strut mounts out with my sc300 ones that were in better shape Im only getting the thud sometimes in one side, so I'm now thinking that the strut assembly isn't installed correctly or the strut mount is no good(but the rubber did look decent?)

Also, the torque values for the susp is pretty high so you need to make sure those are right.

btw- torque value for the center bolt in the upper strut mount is 22ft lbs if I recall(not very much)

Last edited by RyanV; 11-09-09 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-09-09, 06:08 AM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

Hey, I actually have tien ss coilovers and i also have this thud/clunking noise that sounds like it is coming from the driverside rear wheel. I looked under the car and it looks like everything is in place and tight, i am not sure what it could be? Could it also have something to do with the emergency brakes cause i think i need to replace mine as we speak
Old 11-09-09, 08:12 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

I have a thud over slow small bumps but it seems to go away when I turn the coilovers to full soft. On full stiff, it's very apparent. I assume it's probably something to do with the pre-load of the coilover? My fronts did make noise, but the center bolt for the coilover was just loose.
Old 11-23-09, 11:21 AM
PEARL2
Pole Position

I got rid of the coilovers and got supra/eibach setup. ride height is good, and suspension is firm, handles the way it should. best of all, no more clunking. thanks for all the feedback guys. cp ree -- I like the fish bowl, I might do the same. Not too many people fishbowl in white sc.
Old 11-23-09, 11:11 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PEARL2
I got rid of the coilovers and got supra/eibach setup. ride height is good, and suspension is firm, handles the way it should. best of all, no more clunking. thanks for all the feedback guys. cp ree -- I like the fish bowl, I might do the same. Not too many people fishbowl in white sc.
Thanks for the update..I finally got the rear aligned and still have the clunking...on top of that I now have another kind of scrapping noise..and it's not the fenders..sound is faster at higher speed but,slow at low speed til stop..im plan on checking everything out this wed
Old 11-24-09, 09:51 PM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luxor
I have the same problem on my right rear, I think the rear shock bolts need to be tighten a little more.
exact same but with gixxerdrew setup...hmmm
Old 11-27-09, 12:20 AM
Jfg kevin
Driver

I have the same problem...I just installed Tein SS with Tanabe pillowmounts. I was thinking it was the shock bolt too that is loose...I went ahead and tried to tighten it but it kept on spinning my shock rod. I dont know how to stop the shock rod from spinning aside from pitting a hex key on top and using the adjuster to hold it in place...I have a feeling if i did that, i would break sometime..someone correct me if i'm wrong plz..