Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

camber correction kits necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-09, 09:39 AM
92blacktt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default camber correction kits necessary?

I want to replace all the bushings in my car, just wondering if I need a camber correction kit (daizen bushing kit) or can the camber be aligned correctly without these?

What bushings come in the camber kit?

I was going to buy generic bushings and save a bunch but if I need the camber correction kit I might just pic of the daizens and pay through my teeth.

Thanks,
Old 05-04-09, 11:22 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

first you have to let us know how much you want to lower your car and what suspension you will be getting.

im slammed and my guy aligned everything to my liking except for the camber in the rear. being less then 3" off the ground from the bottom of the frame rail i could still get -2* camber in the front. i could have gone less but no point.

the lowest the rear could go is -2.5* camber. thats not even that bad either. i use to have -5* right after i lowered it. the car ate through rear tires like it was going out of style.

if anything get a correction kit for the rear. the front car go down to about -1.5*. if you want good handling i wouldnt go any lower then that anyways. stock specs ask for 0* camber. EFF that.
Old 05-04-09, 11:29 AM
92blacktt
Intermediate

im using the gixxer drew setup, my frame scraps on speed bumps (tuckage on stock wheels)
Old 05-04-09, 11:32 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

i say get it aligned as is. the front should be good. the back might wear tires faster so go dumster diving or make friends at a local tire place. throw the guy 20/tire and tell him to look out for good used tires. thats what i do for drift days and suck. i havent paid for a set of drifting tires in almost 3 years

let see how low you are. here a test. roll a can of wd40 under the car. if it stops on the cat or the exhaust they your low....if it goes under then drop it more
Old 05-04-09, 11:50 AM
92blacktt
Intermediate

haha will try that tonight, im pretty sure im too low...

I cant get any jacks under the car anymore

I dunno how im going to change the tranny fluid tonight
Old 05-04-09, 01:22 PM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Just HOW low can an SC go before you can no longer align to 0* camber front/back???

Would i be ok with a 2" drop
Old 05-04-09, 01:59 PM
92blacktt
Intermediate

ok so i measued the frame to ground distance...exactly 3"

I ordered a bushing kit for the front (prothane) but apparently theres no rear kit anymore.
Old 05-04-09, 02:49 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UZZ30-SC4
Just HOW low can an SC go before you can no longer align to 0* camber front/back???

Would i be ok with a 2" drop
why would you want 0* camber anyways. the factory gives a range of almost a degree.

camber is a good thing. having even 1.5* of camber will help a lot with turning, wont eat your tires, and wont hurt braking.

excessive camber can hurt straightline acceleration and braking, but thats when you go for about 6* or so.

thats what time attack evos in japan run. really insane.

an important thing to look at, that i havent seen anyone on this forum talk about yet in 3 years, are camber curves.

i done with college this weekend. i will actually try to plot amber curves for our car at different ride heights and figure out the ideal height. everyone knows too low handles like ***** but how low can you go before you start hurting handling. ill try to figure this out. its gonna be a pain in the *** experience. when done ill post results.

for all practical purposes 2" drop is fine though.
Old 05-04-09, 03:34 PM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
why would you want 0* camber anyways. the factory gives a range of almost a degree.

camber is a good thing. having even 1.5* of camber will help a lot with turning, wont eat your tires, and wont hurt braking.

excessive camber can hurt straightline acceleration and braking, but thats when you go for about 6* or so.

an important thing to look at, that i havent seen anyone on this forum talk about yet in 3 years, are camber curves.

i done with college this weekend. i will actually try to plot amber curves for our car at different ride heights and figure out the ideal height. everyone knows too low handles like ***** but how low can you go before you start hurting handling. ill try to figure this out. its gonna be a pain in the *** experience. when done ill post results.

So the factory allows for 1* of camber max?, and this wont eat my tires...hell i think i will purposely align for it.
Old 05-04-09, 04:56 PM
92blacktt
Intermediate

you are exactly right here...the problem with our cars is the camber curves, when we lower our suspesnion more then 1.5" our handeling is done for because of the camber we get during compression and rebound..our arms are not designed for this.

Thats why we have ikeya formula arms for our cars...just very very expensive.

I am actually looking at fabbing my own arms, but I need a set of bad arms to design a jig off of, as I drive my car everyday.
Old 05-04-09, 07:47 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 92blacktt
you are exactly right here...the problem with our cars is the camber curves, when we lower our suspesnion more then 1.5" our handeling is done for because of the camber we get during compression and rebound..our arms are not designed for this.

Thats why we have ikeya formula arms for our cars...just very very expensive.

I am actually looking at fabbing my own arms, but I need a set of bad arms to design a jig off of, as I drive my car everyday.
im with you on this one. ive wanted to make custom control arms for my car for the longest time. the problem is that im in school full time, til may 9th , and my car is/was a DD.

actually i was thinking of making a new front cross-member, tubular at that, and relocate the suspension pick-up points. this will allow the car to be lower then stock and still retain proper suspension geometry.
Old 05-05-09, 07:40 AM
92blacktt
Intermediate

my car is DD as well, hence I need some bad arms.

I am guessing you are in engineering? As am I, enjoy the exams
Old 05-05-09, 07:55 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 92blacktt
my car is DD as well, hence I need some bad arms.

I am guessing you are in engineering? As am I, enjoy the exams
3 exams left and im done with college. ill have my BSME. you enjoy your exams too
Old 05-05-09, 08:24 AM
92blacktt
Intermediate

3 exams left and im done with college. ill have my BSME. you enjoy your exams too
haha I am doing my internship 16months...then i go back in sept for my last 2 terms. Will be graduating with engineering degree

Hence why right now I have time to build control arms, lol
Old 05-05-09, 06:06 PM
92blacktt
Intermediate

Hey guys, I got my prothane front bushing kit today

Am I missing some peices? Also, it seems the rear kit is no longer continued...is there a new part number for this, or how do i get a hold of this kit?

Quick Reply: camber correction kits necessary?