Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Used coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-09, 10:48 PM
GSE20MT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Used coilovers?

So what's everyone's take on buying used coilovers? Tough times lately, so I'm thinking of looking at some used ones. I found a deal on my local forum for a set of Tein CS's with ~15k miles on it. Anything I should watch for?

Last edited by GSE20MT; 05-07-09 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-09-09, 11:14 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Used suspension components are never a good idea.

There are a lot of wear items in any suspension component, and you are buying a pre-worn, and pre-abused piece. It won't last as long as a new peice and you usually only save a fraction from new.

Buy new all the time for suspension pieces. It is well worth it in the long run.

There are some good suspensions avaialbe for not a lot of money. For anyone looking to save money and get a nice, bang-for-the-buck suspension we always recommend BC Racing coilovers. They do everything, from lowering and crusing to racing, and they do it well.
Old 05-10-09, 07:55 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Used suspension components are never a good idea.

There are a lot of wear items in any suspension component, and you are buying a pre-worn, and pre-abused piece. It won't last as long as a new peice and you usually only save a fraction from new.

Buy new all the time for suspension pieces. It is well worth it in the long run.

There are some good suspensions avaialbe for not a lot of money. For anyone looking to save money and get a nice, bang-for-the-buck suspension we always recommend BC Racing coilovers. They do everything, from lowering and crusing to racing, and they do it well.
for the 15k miles it has maybe you are right... but IMO it does not really affect it that much... since the manufacturer said that it should be rebuilt around 40+k miles... which implies that it is in a fairly good condition at least till 40k... and circuit ms... i have been seeing your replies... and sometimes it is not so objecctive... though... no offense...
Old 05-10-09, 09:26 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We sell all kinds of suspensions. We recommend what we think works best for people, and what they are going to use them for. If we sound biased, it may be because we don't just sell what people think they need, or what's popular.

We usually recommend either BC Racing, HKS or KW suspensions.

We NEVER recommend used parts. A manufactuers "recommended" rebuild mileage is nothing more than a guess. Rebuilds should be done when needed, not by a mileage mark. What kind of roads were they used on, weather, track days, autocrosses, jumps?

You never know what a suspension has been through, and what problems you might be buying.
Old 05-14-09, 08:55 PM
GSE20MT
Pole Position

Thanks for the advice. And I see it as recommendations rather than advertising or anything.
When I said I was looking at the used coilovers, I was planning on sending them to get inspected and properly rebuilt anyway since they're cheap. I just need to check to see how much, if any, would I be saving. The BC coilovers do look like a pretty nice deal though.
Old 05-14-09, 10:37 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

^ while those BC coilovers look really nice, have all the right features, and sound like a it was decently engineered and built, i'd still go w/ what your needs are and what fits in your budget.

and honestly, those BC coilovers look more like for light to moderate track applications, which would be overkill for daily driving - or even a spirited sprint or two on the freeway onramp. why spend that much just to brag about what it can do when you don't even push it to anywhere near its limits?

while i subscribe to the school of "it's better to have and not need than to need and not have", there will be an ridiculously disparate ratio of "have and not need" moments than "need and not have" moments.

but again, it comes down to what you need and how much you can afford. when i first started modding my 2is, i bought a set of s-techs because that was all i could afford and need. even though i can afford coilovers now for a very long time, i've stuck w/ my s-techs because my needs haven't changed - and i doubt they will from now until the end of my 2is ownership.

again, what you can afford > what you need > what you want (or what others want you to have). that's the criteria i would recommend applying.
Old 05-14-09, 11:50 PM
GSE20MT
Pole Position

Ahhh good points, but one of the reasons why I would get coilovers is so that I can get the perfect height to clear my driveway and such. I wanna go as low as I can go without scraping, so yeah...

Also, I dunno, maybe it's just my ***, but I actually like somewhat stiff rides..... but I guess since it is my daily, it's not necessary. The Tanabes with the TEAS does sound pretty good for a daily though since it can adjust the dampening accordingly to your speed. I'm not in a big rush to get them or anything and I can always wait till money isn't a problem, but I just figured since the used ones I saw were so cheap, it'd might save me some money to get them and send them off to be rebuilt.
Old 05-25-09, 07:52 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sending em of to rebuild... might actually fall into the expensive range as i think you still can find em on ebay..... if you do.. it is approx 900 bucks... minus the 8% cashback... and you'll prolly be okay... rather than sending one off to be rebuilt