Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Decided: H&R Springs! Question about install

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-09, 01:01 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Decided: H&R Springs! Question about install

After being convinced from Tein S-Tech's, I've decided to go with H&R Sport Springs.

So major questions:
I was wondering on the install, does it come with instructions, and is cutting the bump stop required, and did you guys install it with the tein silencers?

I'm planning on doing the install myself either tomorrow or Thursday this week after I pick up the springs from M1 Auto Sport, Brian hooked it up!

Last edited by JDKane527; 05-11-09 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-11-09, 01:35 PM
Is300M.Q.
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...our-isx50.html
Old 05-11-09, 01:45 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Already bookmarked that!
Just curious as to whether or not people cut the bumpstop, and also used tein rubber silencers.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-09, 11:14 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Anybody else with answers?
Old 05-11-09, 11:53 PM
All4sho350
Lead Lap

i just installed mine yesterday. i didnt cut the bumpstops nor using the tein rubber silencers. it sounds stock and is smooth as stock. i was soooooooooo amazed by the looks and the performance. there is no sound from my car from lowering with h&r
Old 05-11-09, 11:56 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by All4sho350
i just installed mine yesterday. i didnt cut the bumpstops nor using the tein rubber silencers. it sounds stock and is smooth as stock. i was soooooooooo amazed by the looks and the performance. there is no sound from my car from lowering with h&r
Sweeeet, how long did it take you, and what tools besides spring compressor, jack/jackstands, and torque wrench did you need?
Old 05-12-09, 09:08 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any pictures? I'm still deciding between H&R and Tein... what was your deciding factor?

Originally Posted by All4sho350
Old 05-12-09, 09:20 AM
Nellyhx
Pole Position

Here's my car lowered with H&R's

Old 05-12-09, 09:40 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

For me, I had friends with S-Tech, and he said after a year or so, spring started sagging. With S-Techs, being green, they also stand out more, and I want to mod moderately and not have my car screaming, "I'm modded." H&R Springs were similar to S-Tech, but I think being German Engineering have a slight upperhand, and they are very smooth and cushy ride, so the girly won't get pissed off, and after a year or so, will stay that way. I am planning that when the shocks blow out to get the F-Sport shocks, probably 6-7 years down the line.

Nightride, thanks for the pic, it looks great on the OEM wheels, which I'll be doing. Did you add spacers or anything, or how does it look from like, angles of the side, like how flush the wheels are?
Old 05-13-09, 11:03 AM
Nellyhx
Pole Position

I'm not on spacers.. these springs are just temporary until i get coilovers and rims...

But here are some more pictures with different angles

Old 05-13-09, 11:49 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stonefan52
For me, I had friends with S-Tech, and he said after a year or so, spring started sagging. With S-Techs, being green, they also stand out more, and I want to mod moderately and not have my car screaming, "I'm modded." H&R Springs were similar to S-Tech, but I think being German Engineering have a slight upperhand, and they are very smooth and cushy ride, so the girly won't get pissed off, and after a year or so, will stay that way. I am planning that when the shocks blow out to get the F-Sport shocks, probably 6-7 years down the line.

Nightride, thanks for the pic, it looks great on the OEM wheels, which I'll be doing. Did you add spacers or anything, or how does it look from like, angles of the side, like how flush the wheels are?
note: bolded for emphasis.

not to bash on your decision to go w/ H&R springs, but let me make a few points before you go out of your way to throw s-techs under the proverbial bus:

- i've had my s-techs for over 20k now, and i have no sagging issues. obviously, YMMV, but i haven't heard of any cases of 2is s-techs sagging.
- springs are tucked behind the fender, brakes, and tires, so visibility is a non-issue unless your car is on a lift or a jack. also, your 2is is going to end up w/ a lower ride height. how does that NOT scream "modded"?
- there are no significant or even noticeable advantages with springs that are german-engineered versus springs that are japan-engineered.
- with all lowering springs - yes, including your H&R's and my s-techs, the spring rates will be higher than stock springs, so ride quality will be affected. s-techs are known to be firmer than stock, but not bone-jarring. same w/ H&R's.

again, congratulations on your purchase, but get your facts right before you start making some off-base claims.

Last edited by projectdna; 05-13-09 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-13-09, 02:58 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by projectdna
note: bolded for emphasis.

not to bash on your decision to go w/ H&R springs, but let me make a few points before you go out of your way to throw s-techs under the proverbial bus:

- i've had my s-techs for over 20k now, and i have no sagging issues. obviously, YMMV, but i haven't heard of any cases of 2is s-techs sagging.
- springs are tucked behind the fender, brakes, and tires, so visibility is a non-issue unless your car is on a lift or a jack. also, your 2is is going to end up w/ a lower ride height. how does that NOT scream "modded"?
- there are no significant or even noticeable advantages with springs that are german-engineered versus springs that are japan-engineered.
- with all lowering springs - yes, including your H&R's and my s-techs, the spring rates will be higher than stock springs, so ride quality will be affected. s-techs are known to be firmer than stock, but not bone-jarring. same w/ H&R's.

again, congratulations on your purchase, but get your facts right before you start making some off-base claims.
projectdna, I apologize for some of the assumptions that I made and some of the comments I made off of not all the knowledge. I have had multiple friends go with H&R and a lot of friends go with Tein, and both sides have had good and bad experiences. H&R had a shock blowout in his 325, Tein has slight sagging in both IS350 and 325. It might be due to a poor install job or how they cut the bumpstop. I am not looking for the fully tucked look like on bags or coils, just a slight drop that is subtle. When I have my lights aimed perpendicularly to my friend's car, it is actually bright enough to see the spring, and it stands out somewhat, but those are just small things.

I didn't mean to bash S-Tech's, but was just the deciding factor for me. I apologize once again for making it seem that way
Old 05-13-09, 04:29 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

it's all good. i owe you an apology as well, as i came off overly defensive. it just didn't read that way when i first posted though, but that's a moot point.

again, congratulations on your selection; at previous time javyLSU was on H&R's as well, and he has nothing but positive things to say about them.
Old 05-13-09, 04:35 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ when are you going to coils?? seems everyone else is these days. All I can say is I was very impressed with the drop and ride of the Tein S-techs I got to drive Vik's car with the coils and I was also impressed with the ride and of course the drop.

I think the H&R and Tein "look" the best on the IS but I cant comment on the H&R ride. I am sure you cant go wrong with either. Both are great companies IMO.
Old 05-13-09, 05:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by projectdna
it's all good. i owe you an apology as well, as i came off overly defensive. it just didn't read that way when i first posted though, but that's a moot point.

I noticed the defensive tone earlier, but I can see you acknowledged it too. But some good info on the springs for all here.

Quick Reply: Decided: H&R Springs! Question about install