Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BC racing spec VS Tein CS

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-09, 03:04 PM
Starfire07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BC racing spec VS Tein CS + Review of the BCR

Hey folks,

So I've put a lot of thoughts into getting a set of coilover to enhance my enjoyment of my IS350. I’ve narrowed it down to two options. Tein Comfort Sport (CS), and the BC Racing BR.

My objectives:
-Lower the car approx 1.5” all around to remove the wheel gap
-Retain the stock ride quality (this is a luxury car after all)
-Get rid of the unresponsiveness of the suspension (aka floatiness)
-Slightly increase the damping rate for more precise driving enjoyment.

Please help me validate my findings. I spent many hours researching, and hope these are as accurate as possible.

BC Racing BR:

Plus:
-Excellent build quality (per vendor), they have bigger internals, beefier shock bodies, and a better damping curve. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4509237-post2.html
-Height adjustments do not cut into the preload suspension travel. It has a separate adjustment on the bottom of the body for height adjustments.
-Comes with everything you need. You don't need to take apart the stock setup for parts swap.
-Excellent price point, approx 300 cheaper than the Tein CS.
-Can drop the car over 3.5”, but I don’t care for that.

Minus:
-These are a bit on the firm side. The spring rate is 10kg/8kg.
-I believe these just came on the market at the end of last year. So they are not as widely used as the Tein CS. Very limited first-hand experiences reported.

Review in post #20

Tein CS:

Plus:
-Spring rates are 7kg/7kg. The softest springs you can buy on a set of OTS coilover.
-Proven ride quality. Reported by numerous members that these are as close to stock as possible, some even reported that they are softer than stock.
-Height Adjustability is conservative, shock damping matches the drop as close as possible.
-Can hook up the EDIC for the adjustment of the shocks damping on the fly.

Minus:
-They are more expensive the BC
-Max height Adjustability: 2.2"F, 1.7"R
-No separate height adjustments. Change of the ride height will cut into the preload shock travel.
-Some reported that their build quality is sub-par. Shock casing can rust due to bad craftsmanship.

Here is the twist:
An CL supporting vendor says that they can customize the spring rate of the BC racing spec to my liking at no additional cost. I am thinking about getting 8kg/7kg, as the car slightly heavier in the front. Is this a good idea? Will the ride be close to stock like the Tein CS?

The million dollar question:
Should I just get the proven Tein CS, or experiment with the BC with custom springs while saving some dough?

Last edited by Starfire07; 06-18-09 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-16-09, 04:52 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

before going into your million dollar question, and a "fyi":

there is a company called BC racing that makes coilovers:
http://www.bcracing-na.com/

then there is the company "buddy club":
http://www.buddyclub.us/

now, regarding your million dollar question, i would usually apply the afford-needs-wants evaluation criteria. simply, i evaluate a good based upon what i can afford, my needs, and then my wants - and specifically in that order.

unfortunately, in this case, your two products are so similar in the sense that they are both within your budget in terms of what you can afford and what you need, you have to ultimately evaluate what you really want. it looks like the spring rates will dictate what you will be looking for, and i would look into that deeply.

obviously my answer doesn't cover the technical side of this argument, but hope this somewhat helps. good luck, and keep us updated.
Old 05-16-09, 05:11 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Like what projectdna said, Buddy club and BC racing are two different companies.

Also since that specific vendor you quoted above has posted about BC racing, ive begun doing some research. And they manufacturer a lot of coilovers for various companies which i hear has been good quality and pretty much expand on the products they make to make it a better coilover If you do a google search, the g35,sti and a few other brands has nothing but good reviews. from all the reading(there was like a 100 page thread on some sti board) they are good quality and ride comfort is pretty good. Once i get some doh ill buy a set

Just a FYI, according to a vendor or two. You can order any special spring rate you want. Which brings up the question, whats the best spring rate for the 2IS?
Old 05-16-09, 05:35 PM
Starfire07
Driver School Candidate

Darn...isn't that confusing! Original post corrected, and luckily everything on the list still apply. Thanks projectdna and ExtrEmE99.

Anyone with the BC installed care to give a quick review?
Old 05-16-09, 07:11 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

AM1 is on buddy club's. he's got a comprehensive review thread.
Old 05-17-09, 09:39 AM
Starfire07
Driver School Candidate

Right, but I am looking for a review on the BC Racing coilover. I don't think there is one yet.
Old 05-17-09, 10:02 AM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

i have BC racing BR coilover on my SC300 with custom spring rates/valving (20/16) and i am loving it. and don't forget i believe there is a one year warranty for BC's

you if search hard. there are reviews of BC racing coilovers on the evo's (if i remember correctly) and all the reviews had good feed back.
Old 05-17-09, 11:26 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Tein CS, I'm sorry say, are far from "proven." The ride quality sucks (I'm not sure how they managed to accomplish that with those spring rates) and the durability I've experienced first hand is not good - I've seen several sets blow/leak prematurely. If all you're looking for is to drop your car to your liking while still maintaining some decent ride quality, I'd stay away from the Teins. Definitely not worth the $$$$.

Javier
Old 05-17-09, 11:38 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Starfire07
Right, but I am looking for a review on the BC Racing coilover. I don't think there is one yet.
You must not have been using the search too hard cause including me there about 5 other memeber that i know of with the BC Racing on the AWD IS250 and we all love the setup and ride quality. Plus there are review posted on them by those member with them. I heard not so good thang about the tein myself especialy with the drop maxing out and not going low enough. i go with BC Racing if i was you but that just me cause that what im running. It rides just like stock if not better cause when i 1st installed it and left it at stock height no one notice that i had coilovers on.
Old 05-17-09, 01:05 PM
Starfire07
Driver School Candidate

javyLSU - I have read many reviews of the CS, and most said the ride was stock like. I did not mean they are durable. On the contrary, I did noticed their quality maybe a concern.

laobo979 - Yes, I did read your brief review on the BC on your AWD. I am looking for someone who had installed them on a IS350, but I guess yours is sufficient. Thanks.

ShaneC - You had them do a custom spring rate of 20kg/16kg? That must've been a really stiff ride!

Looks like I will go forward with a custom rate on the BC, will have to check with the vendor more their opinion on 8k/7k. I will report back soon.

Last edited by Starfire07; 05-17-09 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-17-09, 03:09 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Regarding the reviews of the Teins' ride quality being "stock like," I think I've seen those words used on every "review" of suspension components I've ever read from coilovers to springs, so take that for what it's worth.

Javier
Old 05-17-09, 03:46 PM
pchan0
Lead Lap

Any one know the stock spring rate front and rear for a IS250?
Old 05-17-09, 05:10 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The good thing about the BCR coilovers is we can spec them to whatever spring rate you request, and then if need be, they will be revalved. This is crucial for ride quality. Some companies will change spring rates and not offer a revalve, or they will charge for it.

Just make sure if you get a custom setup from someone to ask about revalving.

Old 05-18-09, 02:33 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
The good thing about the BCR coilovers is we can spec them to whatever spring rate you request, and then if need be, they will be revalved. This is crucial for ride quality. Some companies will change spring rates and not offer a revalve, or they will charge for it.

Just make sure if you get a custom setup from someone to ask about revalving.

Do you provide shock dyno charts to show what the revalving did and how well matched the units are? Do the units use standard sized springs or are they custom wound?
Old 05-18-09, 02:14 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, we can provide you a shock dyno from BCR.

BC dynos every cartridge at the factory before they assemble the kits. They make sure that each damper is matched to within 5% tolerance. OEM standards by comparison are only 13%.

This ensures equal balance and handling.

The springs are all cold wound, with a 62mm inner diameter.

Quick Reply: BC racing spec VS Tein CS