Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Caliper/Rotor painting basics

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09, 08:31 AM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Caliper/Rotor painting basics

So this week, I plan on painting my brake calipers either black or red. I was planning on painting my brake rotors too but now I'm having second thoughts about all of it.

1.I have already purchased the duplicolor kit (red and black, one for my Z28 too) months ago, But after reading around, I've become worried.
-The kit is only rated at a measly 550* F (something like that)
-It's not a glossy finish, which is what I'd like.
I have stock pads but I will be upgrading to Hawk Blue 9012(spare set if i ever go to the track) and Ceramics(which will be on there 99% of time)

Would VHT paint work well enough, or do I need to bite the bullet and purchase the G2 kit. Any other recomendations would be welcome.

2.I have the Irotors drilled/slotted rotors and I'm afraid that if I paint the rotors they won't be able to dissapate heat as well and might crack/warp, then I'm screwed because I can't turn them Should I be worried about this? Also, would painting them a lighter color help dissapate heat and keep the rotors cool?

3. I plan on using a primer on the calipers first. Is there a high temp primer that will work? Do I even need primer? I was also going to sand starting with 80 to 200 to 400 and then 800.

4.If I layer the paint, VHT 1500* base coat, then the 900* caliper paint, and finsh up with a clear-coat, will this help prevent flaking?

Last edited by QwkSC; 05-19-09 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-19-09, 10:42 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1) Do not paint your rotors, that'll look stupid, and what's the point when your brake pads are grinding up on that paint daily?

2) All you really need is a High Temp base coat, and High Temp Clear coat for a nice paint job. Sand it down, clean it up real good, and spray away. Pretty simple man.
Old 05-19-09, 10:49 AM
QwkSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by romeo291
1) Do not paint your rotors, that'll look stupid, and what's the point when your brake pads are grinding up on that paint daily?
rofl. I'm not painting the surface where it touches the pad, I'm painting the center and the very edge.
Old 05-19-09, 11:06 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by QwkSC
rofl. I'm not painting the surface where it touches the pad, I'm painting the center and the very edge.
Ohhhh, lol, you should specify that, cause I was really questioning why you were painting it.
Old 05-19-09, 12:17 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Before you do that clean/dunk the calipers into muriatic(hcl) acid. Dont let the acid touch the rubber seals or piston (altho i dont think it would affect it anyways). You only really need the front of the caliper painted so dont bother trying to clean the backside. That'll get rid of all the dirt and gunk off the calipers giving you a perfect surface to paint on top off. Oh ya and make sure you were gloves.
yea, I think Im going to take the calipers completely off and do my SS brake lines at this time also. I was thinking about having the calipers hot tanked and rebuilt.

Last edited by QwkSC; 05-19-09 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-19-09, 06:59 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Before you do that clean/dunk the calipers into muriatic(hcl) acid. Dont let the acid touch the rubber seals or piston (altho i dont think it would affect it anyways). You only really need the front of the caliper painted so dont bother trying to clean the backside. That'll get rid of all the dirt and gunk off the calipers giving you a perfect surface to paint on top off. Oh ya and make sure you were gloves.
Man, you really don't need to do all that.
Old 05-19-09, 10:52 PM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I just gave the calipers a good spray with brake clear and scrubbed it with a bbq grill brush, then wrap the rotors with trash bags and sprayed it with 3 coats with that duplicolor crap from kragen. 10 min job. If it flakes, repeat process but by that time they're going to be dirty as hell and needed to be touched up anyway. They stayed glossy and looking new on my 01 prelude for almost a year

Last edited by 2turbo1sup; 05-19-09 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-20-09, 03:33 PM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Word, this is also on my to-do list this summer. Many questions answered, thanks.
Old 06-06-09, 04:09 PM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I did my brakes on my '00 integra type-r and my '06 BMW 330i. I bought a little can of glue and residue remover (acetone by Duplicolor) and wiped down each caliper twice. Then i washed it off with regular soap and water, let it dry. hit some areas that were stubborn with some sandpaper and then shot it with 3 coats (light, a little heavier and then a final heavier coat with the suggested drying time in between) of paint and then 3 coats of clear. Sold the BMW and they looked great when I did. Still have the Teg and I haven't touched them up yet. Something like 6 years ago I painted them. Still red/black. Still glossy. LOTS of HARD BRAKING on those too. But then again, I wash my car as often as I shower (hence the profile name), so not a lot of opp for brake dust to get baked into the finish.

Just my .02 cents. Carry on.
Old 06-09-09, 02:18 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

youre wasting your time and effort painting your rotors. its not going to last. leave the rotors alone. paint your calipers.

the acid is one of those "at your own risk" things. do it if you want, but i simply use carb or brake cleaner and a wire brush.
Old 06-09-09, 03:39 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by tularisgp
youre wasting your time and effort painting your rotors. its not going to last. leave the rotors alone. paint your calipers.
It has already started to burn off the rotors. Calipers are good though
Old 07-09-09, 04:18 AM
lindacat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty good with a paintbrush. Is there a way to brush paint the calipers b/c I don't want to have to remove them. If so, what paint should I use. I'm just going with black. I hate looking at rusty calipers....I kind of miss the good old hubcap days that hid everything I have a 2000 es300 BTW...pearl white.
Old 07-09-09, 08:20 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lindacat
I'm pretty good with a paintbrush. Is there a way to brush paint the calipers b/c I don't want to have to remove them. If so, what paint should I use. I'm just going with black. I hate looking at rusty calipers....I kind of miss the good old hubcap days that hid everything I have a 2000 es300 BTW...pearl white.
Dude, taking off your wheels, clean the brakes w/ brake cleaner, and masking off everything to paint them is going to be less time consuming then paint brushing it. It would be hard to clean everything that way and what if you can't reach certain areas? That's just silly thinking
Old 07-09-09, 10:27 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by lindacat
I have an 03 740i

You definitely want to prep the calipers by cleaning them thoroughly with brake cleaner and something like steel wool or sandpaper or a bbq pit brush as someone said. You really don't have to remove the calipers unless u want to paint the backside. duplicolor's paint kit is brush on. get the kit, not the spray can