Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How much did you guys get your IS350 brakes pads for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 02:10 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You do realize brake pads have absolutely no impact on stopping distance, right? Your EBCs stop the car in -exactly- the same distance as the Lexus ones do.
Didn't we already have this argument? We went into coefficients of friction and such?

Maybe I should just go pour oil on my brakes and try to stop and see how far it takes me.... Your 100% wrong, and that's as far as I will take this discussion again.
Old 05-29-09, 02:41 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by unit74
Didn't we already have this argument? We went into coefficients of friction and such?

Maybe I should just go pour oil on my brakes and try to stop and see how far it takes me.... Your 100% wrong, and that's as far as I will take this discussion again.
Can you point me to the thread then?

Because all of physics and science says you're the wrong one.

The formula for braking distance doesn't even ask about your CoE for the brake pads. As long as they can engage ABS, which any pads for the car can, the CoE of the pads is totally and completely irrelevant. The brakes don't stop the car, the TIRES do.

I can quote Brembo, Stoptech, and a slew of respected brake engineers that all say you're wrong too if it'll make you feel better.

Here's Brembo for example, explaining why they don't bother with stopping distance tests on their products-

"At the speeds that stopping distance is generally measured from (60 to 70mph), the test is primarily testing the tire's grip on the pavement. As delivered from the manufacturer, nearly all vehicles are able to engage the ABS or lock the wheels at these speeds. Therefore, an increase in braking power will do nothing to stop the vehicle in a shorter distance."

The best thing to read for folks like yourself who misunderstand braking though is Pulp Friction, it's a 4 page article by a world reknowned brake engineer who explains that bigger rotors, different pads, and all the other things your local rice shop is happy to sell you won't do a single thing to improve stopping distance on your car-

http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/p...n/pfpage1.html

Note this bit:
"Ths part might surprise some and offend others, but it is a big misconception that changing brake pad material will magically decrease your stopping distances"

It goes on to explain why in some more detail after that.

Here's the mathematical formula for braking distance:

d = V2/(2g(f + G))

Where:
d = Braking Distance (ft)
g = Acceleration due to gravity (32.2 ft/sec2)
G = Roadway grade as a percentage; for 2% use 0.02
V = Initial vehicle speed (ft/sec)
f = Coefficient of friction between the tires and the roadway

Notice how it couldn't care less about the CoE of the brake pads?

Because they don't matter as long as ABS is engaged or the wheels are locked (for cars without ABS)

Tons more sources if you need em.

You can provide zero that disagree, unless you plan to quote marketing material from a shady brake salesman.

Last edited by Kurtz; 05-29-09 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-29-09, 02:48 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Old 05-29-09, 03:22 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by unit74
I decided to save you some time and find the previous thread for you.

Yes, we had this argument already. You lost then too.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...rakes-com.html

You made the same basic error in understanding brakes, I corrected you with much of the info above, plus sourced info from Stoptech, as well as info from National Law Enforcement and Corrections Technology Center brake pad test.

VikH pointed out I was right and you were wrong.

You simply stopped posting after that.

Like you probably will here.
Old 05-29-09, 07:00 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

LMFAO!!! unit74 you may now sit down!! And please let us know how the oil on the pad experiment goes.

Last edited by golfproatl; 05-29-09 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-29-09, 07:21 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

hmmm grabbing better doesn't that create more friction so that your tires can help you slowdown better??? correct me if i'm wrong.. and chances are i am LOL...
Old 05-29-09, 07:43 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by acefalcon2
hmmm grabbing better doesn't that create more friction so that your tires can help you slowdown better??? correct me if i'm wrong.. and chances are i am LOL...
The only friction that matters once ABS is engaged is the friction between the tires and the road surface.

Which has absolutely 0 to do with your brake pads.

Think of it this way- It takes 100 units of force to engage ABS. All pads can produce more than 100 units of force. Force beyond 100 units is 100% completely wasted because the tires can't do a thing with it.

So if you have super grabby high CoE pads that produce 500 units of force, you've got a lot of totally wasted extra braking force that doesn't do a damn thing for you but make the guy who sold you the pads richer.

There ARE things different pads can do for you (braking _feel_ can change, wear characteristics can change, etc...) but better stopping distance isn't one of them.
Old 05-29-09, 10:05 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your lovely EBC pads will simply eat your rotors quicker and create more brake dust. only negatives can come with that mod..your pads "FEEL" like the stop the car better because it changed the brake pedal feel and the initial BITE of the brakes is more noticeable. simple characteristics, no performance.
Old 05-30-09, 06:33 PM
IS35O
Pole Position

Just picked up mine from sewell, use the 'clublexus' code. Great service, great prices..