Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

lower control arm removal????? help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 12:29 PM
scturbo28
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower control arm removal????? help

Hello community , i have a sc 300 and i need to change the lower control arm , it came apart as i was driving to my girls house , i kept hearing a grinding noise and it was the control arm grinding against the back of my rotor, the ball joint came out of the physical hole , so my lower control arm is hanging and the threaded ball joint is still hooked up to my wheel hub or spindle what ever that whole peace is called. I wanted to know how hard is it to change it , also should i have my rotor re cut or just leave it like that and let the brake pads sink in and make it even some how. Thank you all for your input . Also would my rack and pinion be damaged since i tried moving the car for aaa but the tire came forward and popped out literally, so i have to replace it right then and there .
Old 05-29-09, 12:37 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, first off, you need to see if you meet minimum spec on rotor thickness after getting them re-machined. If they've never been replaced, then chances are they'll need to be replaced. replace everything pairs on the brakes (both front pads and rotors).

As for the LCA, it's not TOO bad to do by yourself, you'll need a spring compressor and an impact wrench most likely. If your car was from up north, then the chances of the job sucking go up that much more. My car is a pure southern car so no crazy rust and stuff, but northern guys aren't as lucky. New arms are ~450 a pair if you get the Supra arms, and around 700ish if you get the Lexus arms.

There's a bunch of writeups on how to do this, so I'd suggest you do a search on that.

GL