Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

GS400 Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-02, 01:30 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

RON430 and gs4will-
Thanks guys. Really appreciate your inputs.
Old 04-06-02, 09:50 AM
miko400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roads

Yeah, the roads in MD are a tad bit rough also.. Just wanted to chim in.. I getting ready to lower my GS400.. I think I'm going with Blisten/Eibach.. I hope I like it...
Old 04-08-02, 10:35 PM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Default Bilstein sports and Eibach 1"

Putting on now, paid 399 for bilsteins and 239 for eibachs from shox.com
Old 04-08-02, 11:15 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

nudderGS400

Putting on now, paid 399 for bilsteins and 239 for eibachs from shox.com
Keep us updated on your impressions after install. Good luck.
Old 04-13-02, 06:05 PM
oldguy
Driver

Ron430, I have the sway bars on order with Steve and am interested in your findings. You are reporting exactly what I hoped to find would happen. But, has the steering tightened up? Has the lash at straight ahead been lessened or gone away? My upper stut mounts were recently replaced ( warranty, they were noisy) and that made a big difference and I am hopeful that the sways will finish the job. If it does, my next step is the Bilstein sports and a limited slip. I live in snow country and the LSD would be especially helpful.
I also read your comment about the strut tower brace and the lower chassis brace and ordered them even though I suspect you're correct after reading that the car needs to be jacked up to install the STB.
Thanks,
Old 04-13-02, 09:58 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

oldguy - I don't have any STBs on my car. I can't say that the steering changed any but with the sways and the bilsteins, the whole car just feel more planted. Did a lot of running around today and the roads out here are really getting a lot wash boarding. While I might like a tad more roll stiffness, I really don't want to increase spring rates at all. Haven't changed the ECU either. I haven't noticed too much problem with the steering but this might be starting to get to individual cars as much as anything. I haven't had any noises or difficulties with upper strut mounts but I had the shocks changed so quickly that maybe that made a little difference. Hope the LSD makes a difference in the snow but I'll wager a GS430 is still going to be a handful in any kind of snow.
Old 04-14-02, 01:36 PM
oldguy
Driver

Ron430- yes indeed, a handful in the snow is true. Had a GS400 before this 430 and used Blizzaks with success in the snow except they are like driving on marbles with no snow. Will have artic alpins for next winter. I expect them to be better on pavement and a little worse in snow, but a better combination for me. I plan on keeping the stock springs as you have and am glad to hear your comments about this. The posting on 04/02/02 talks about the problem of installing the STB and that seems to me a reason for the STB.
Am out of town for a week and hope my bars will be there when I get home. Will install and report. Hope my next trip to the mountains will be even more fun with better handling. You mentioned the stock Michelin 16's. What model are these? Had MXM's (not MXM4) on my '98400 and liked them a lot. Thanks.

Last edited by oldguy; 04-15-02 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-15-02, 11:42 AM
oldguy
Driver

Ron430
I edited my previous message to ask you a question. Hope this will get your attention and you will be kind enough to give me even more good information.
Thanks.
Old 04-15-02, 12:08 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I had just realized that you were asking what Michelins came on mine stock. I don't have the GS with me here at work so I will get the info and post tonight. They are the stock 225/55-16s. Michelins have some advantages and for years they were the tire I was most comfortable with but the more I drive my car on the Michelins and my wifes on the Yokohama AVS db, the more convinced I am that the Yoko's will be what goes on the GS when the Michelins wear out. The db's on my wifes Maxima grip better than the Michelins we had on before and the difference in sound is dramatic. And the Maxima is no where near as inherently quiet a car as the GS. If I hadn't heard the difference on the same roads, I don't know if I would have believed it. In any event, quiet has come to be worth to me than ultimate grip. Just don't know about wear yet but the Yoko's have about 8K on them now with no visible wear. Also did some extensive running around on Saturday with the GS and at least with the roads we have here, I don't think higher rate springs are going to be in my future. We may not get big potholes like other parts of the country but we get a lot of "washboard" kind of things. The bilsteins have controlled the undulations a lot but I don't think I want stiffer springs, just too uncomfortable. I'll check on the tires when I get home.

I don't know what to make of the STB install. Modern chassis are pretty good. If the bar doesn't go straight on with the car sitting on the ground I don't know what makes me think it will keep the front towers flat after the install. Don't know if that makes any sense but these bars are about $50 worth of metal and are only designed to keep the front towers from getting closer together (or farther apart) in a linear direction. If the towers are that much vertically out of alignment, I have to think through what the value of the bar is? If I get really motivated, I will check it out with some friends and think about taking some measurements on a surface plate should I install one. So far, I am just not of the opinion that I will be able to put enough load on the chassis with street tires to see much effect from the STB. I also have just made a cursory look but most of the bars seem to be "designed" and not "engineered", if you understand my meaning.
Old 04-15-02, 07:28 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Michelin Pilot MXM.