Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilover Spring Rates - Not all coilovers are for racing only!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-02, 11:52 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Coilovers for first gen GS300??

Since we're on the topic of coilovers. I would like to ask for you on what you guys would recommend for a GS3 (first gen). I'm going to be getting some 20's (20x8.5 and 20x10's) in about a week or so and hopefully after that, some coilovers. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Seize
Old 06-16-02, 10:06 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It really depends on what kind of a ride you want...the HKS LS's will give you the softest ride. But keep in mind, you're 20's are going to make your ride a little harsher than normal. If you want a stiffer ride, the Zeals are stiff as hell...great for drifting...
Old 07-15-02, 12:56 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know the max drop for Tein Flex. I want a stock like ride, so the Tein CS seem good, but the drop is only 1.4/2.0. I want it so my fender is right above the top of the tire. Tein Ha seems like the better choice, but looking at the list, I think the ride might be too rough. Any suggestions?
I have Bilstein/Eibach right now and that dropped my car about an inch. I think I need to go another inch in the front, Tein CS seem like they will fall short of that. Does any have a picture of the front with the Max lowest setting on Tein CS. Thanks.
Old 07-15-02, 02:25 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Nevermind my last post, I found some pictures that have answered my question.
Old 09-02-02, 06:14 PM
SCV8
Instructor

I "sneaked in" a set of SupraTT(stock) springs/shocks into the SC,and it wasn't noticed.I figured the increase in stiffness to be 17% by calculating from the springs wire dia.
The shocks that were in the car weren't very well calibrated from Lexus/Toyota,and the Supra ones definately are.
Went from a wannabe Lincoln to a sports coupe.
Old 09-03-02, 03:42 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

SCV8, did YOU notice any real change from that upgrade? It might be another option for people who want a bit of improvement...
Old 09-05-02, 12:07 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Oh heck yeah,tail out passing at 75+in the middle of a corner marked with a 40mph limit,couldn't really do that before.Actually my best is 90 with 4 wheels drifting in that corner,but I stepped out from the inside lane in the middle of the corner to pass this guy.
My setup works great for me for many reasons,and the shocks alone are WAY better than the cheesy stuff they put on stock.
I don't like to lower these cars more than an inch because travel is nice to have on the street,and the car is stiff enough for TT sized wheels/tires,so...
Why pay more for aftermarket stuff that's not going to last as long,make stuff rub,rattle all your interior parts?
Old 12-13-02, 11:33 PM
BlvdKing
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of suspension setup should I use? I want a Luxury car ride with ferrari handling only lowering my car 1-11/2 " I am rolling on 235/45/18 and want it to sit nice but never think of rubbing. I have a 2000 GS 300.

Last edited by BlvdKing; 12-13-02 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-16-02, 04:57 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

You're asking for the impossible. You will not get either. You have to figure out which is more important...ride or handling.

As for rubbing, lower itself is not what causes rubbing, a bad offset with certain tire sizes is what causes rubbing...on the front, you can do a 245/35-20 and still not rub (except for the fender lining but that is due to the overall diameter of the tire and the rubbing does not harm anything and it will stop after a little while)

I recommend you read some other people's setups (do search) to get some more opinions. What you consider a "good" setup may not be the same as what I consider a "good" setup (in terms of ride quality) so I don't want to give you any recommendations....
Old 05-14-03, 11:41 AM
sprintr6
Driver School Candidate

I have a GS430 w/HKS Hipermax LS's lowered on Auto Couture Supremes 20x9 and 20x10. I thought the ride would be extremely harsh, but this is probably one of the best riding vehicles I've ever owned. The LS is perfect for anyone going with a larger wheel combination and looking for more comfort than performance. My buddy has a GS300 with the Hipermax II's on 19 inch Volk Racing GTC's and it does ride quite a bit stiffer. I'm very pleased with my LS's!

-B

Last edited by sprintr6; 05-14-03 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-29-03, 09:10 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

guys, with so many informative, knowledgeable, and experienced talents,
CL should publish a book or quarter magazine.

we should get microsoft project and start having a book publishing committee. i'm currently working with a team that's publishing a spoken word/slam book through Duke University, glad to see an American-born "aristo-GS" book happening
Old 05-31-03, 03:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

What I want to know is the rates for the STOCK springs/shocks (and maybe L-Tuned) - so I could see how the coilovers compare.

I went in DaveGS4's car recently with the Bilstein PSS coilovers and they were stiff, but probably not as stiff as I was expecting. Obviously Dave can comment on them better than I have and has in his excellent write-up.

I wish Tein's web site were better too - it STINKS. Very hard to figure out the difference between their coilovers.

One question I have - it seems like Tein has a separate (??) 'pillowball mount' kit - is this a good thing? What good is it? Is it a must have? I've read some comments about Tein's making noises over time when the mounts wear, is that common? OK that was 4 questions.
Old 06-01-03, 08:32 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Originally posted by bitkahuna
What I want to know is the rates for the STOCK springs/shocks (and maybe L-Tuned) - so I could see how the coilovers compare.

I went in DaveGS4's car recently with the Bilstein PSS coilovers and they were stiff, but probably not as stiff as I was expecting. Obviously Dave can comment on them better than I have and has in his excellent write-up.

I wish Tein's web site were better too - it STINKS. Very hard to figure out the difference between their coilovers.

One question I have - it seems like Tein has a separate (??) 'pillowball mount' kit - is this a good thing? What good is it? Is it a must have? I've read some comments about Tein's making noises over time when the mounts wear, is that common? OK that was 4 questions.
Bit,

From what I understand about Tein, the pillowball mount is for keeping proper suspension geometry when lowering the car. It’s like your arm socket, it’s another pivot location as apposed to being a fixed location, so as you lower the car it can keep things inline.

They come standard with the Flex and other more costly kits, but are optional on most others.

As for the rattling, I’ve read that too and it concerns me. The reason I like the look of the Flex is because they were designed for a daily driver and not a show car only. They’ve coated the external shock thread with Teflon, so it shouldn’t rust.

Overclocker
Old 06-01-03, 07:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Thanks Overclocker. Flex looks interesting, but it seems to be softer than the Bilstein PSS that I recently experienced (although rear is stiffer). I find the front/rear differences between models interesting. I have a feeling I'd like the HA best, but not sure!

Some info from the start of this thread...

Tein CS: 9/8
HKS HiperMax II: 10/6
Tein Flex: 10/9
Blitz Sachs Damper SP7: 10.21/8.17
C-One: 12/9
Bilstein PSS:12.25/8.17
Aragosta: 12.3/10.8
NPG Sports: 13/8
Nishiki/Bilstein: 14/7
Section Spec RM/A-8: 14/8
Abflug ECS-III Scoot Tune: 14/10
Tein HA: 14/10
Old 06-13-03, 04:22 PM
yellowis5spd
Driver School Candidate

JIC FLT-A2 - 14/10
GS300/400 JZS161 98- 14/10 787/564 JZS161FLTA2
JIC SF-1 12/9
GS300/400 JZS161 98- 12/9 674/506 JZS161SF1

Quick Reply: Coilover Spring Rates - Not all coilovers are for racing only!