Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Shaking when braking - NOT rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-09, 09:19 PM
dani
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
it feels just like warped rotors, but i put new front rotors on - not turned, but new. The shaking doesn't happen when i brake just using the e-brake, nor does it shake when i downshift or just let off the gas. I don't feel any slop in the rack or hub bearings on all 4 wheels. The u-joints feel ok too. No clunking heard from the lca's either. I don't get it. Also, the car needs to warm up for a few minutes before it starts to have the issue, in other words, it takes a couple of stops before the problem presents itself.

Any suggestions? I searched and found possibly abs module so i'll pull the fuse(s) for that.

This is the 93 sc400 i just bought for my daughter.
check you front and rear calipers. You may have one that is siezed in there and is dragging caussing all the issues you have. Also you may have 2 issues there. You let me know what you find wrong with it.
Dani
Old 06-04-09, 09:32 PM
dani
Driver School Candidate

I do think that one caliper is siezed. See on this dual br calipers the one of the piston doeas not go back in and i would recomend to check you brake hoses to make sure that they are free of obstructions.
Old 06-05-09, 06:45 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dani
I do think that one caliper is siezed. See on this dual br calipers the one of the piston doeas not go back in and i would recomend to check you brake hoses to make sure that they are free of obstructions.
Two of the slide bolts were seized, but I fixed that. The calipers are OK. Pad wear was even.
Old 06-05-09, 07:03 AM
dani
Driver School Candidate

so the wheels are spining freely. take for a drive and brake hard for 5-10 times and then lift the vehicle up and spin all the wheels.
Old 06-05-09, 07:04 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

so the wheels are spining freely.
Yes they are.
Old 06-05-09, 07:09 AM
dani
Driver School Candidate

well i need to know at what speed you get the pulsation, hot-cold brakes, no brake etc.
Old 06-05-09, 07:37 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

well i need to know at what speed you get the pulsation, hot-cold brakes, no brake etc.
No pulsation unless braking. Gets worse the more I drive. It's smooth for the first 3 to 5 stops. Heavy and light braking are OK, it's just the "normal" braking that I feel it.
Old 06-05-09, 07:46 AM
dani
Driver School Candidate

i see. did you replace the rotors with oem or afermarket. please pm me so that way i will get to you faster.
Old 06-05-09, 05:00 PM
NoLongerA13bFan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No change after new pads. It's not tires. It shook before I bought new tires. I didn't buy cheap rotors. In addition, I put the original rotors from the SC400 on my GS300 and it does not shake. The old rotors are slightly warped, but the GS did not exhibit the same symptoms as the SC400. I'm going to try swapping the wheels off my other SC, maybe one or more are bent.

So in short, new rotors, pads, and tires - no change in behavior. Sux...
Did you replace the rear rotors?
Old 06-05-09, 06:22 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NoLongerA13bFan
Did you replace the rear rotors?
It's not the rear rotors. The vibration does not happen when stopping using only the e-brake.
Old 06-05-09, 06:38 PM
Ryeno
Banned

well the e-brake would use a different part of the rear rotor. I would replace the rear rotor if you havent already.
Old 06-05-09, 07:00 PM
dani
Driver School Candidate

It feels just like warped rotors, but I put new front rotors on - not turned, but new. The shaking doesn't happen when I brake just using the e-brake, nor does it shake when I downshift or just let off the gas. I don't feel any slop in the rack or hub bearings on all 4 wheels. The u-joints feel OK too. No clunking heard from the LCA's either. I don't get it. Also, the car needs to warm up for a few minutes before it starts to have the issue, in other words, it takes a couple of stops before the problem presents itself.

Any suggestions? I searched and found possibly ABS module so I'll pull the fuse(s) for that.

This is the 93 SC400 I just bought for my daughter.
so it does shake the car itself or just a steering wheel. what speed, and you feel the shake from front or rear.
Old 06-05-09, 07:39 PM
NoLongerA13bFan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not the rear rotors. The vibration does not happen when stopping using only the e-brake.
Like I said before the the Ebrake acts on the housed in the hub section of the rotor so if the rotor is warped applying the ebrake does not act on the warped part of the disc (rotor face).
Old 06-05-09, 07:45 PM
dani
Driver School Candidate

sorry i can not find your reply. please pm me asap
Old 06-06-09, 07:22 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NoLongerA13bFan
Like I said before the the Ebrake acts on the housed in the hub section of the rotor so if the rotor is warped applying the ebrake does not act on the warped part of the disc (rotor face).
Sorry, I missed that post! That makes a lot of sense. I have yet to do rear brakes on any of my Lexuses and I didn't realize they used that design. I'll check it out.

Quick Reply: Shaking when braking - NOT rotors