Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Shaking when braking - NOT rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-09, 05:27 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shaking when braking - NOT rotors

It feels just like warped rotors, but I put new front rotors on - not turned, but new. The shaking doesn't happen when I brake just using the e-brake, nor does it shake when I downshift or just let off the gas. I don't feel any slop in the rack or hub bearings on all 4 wheels. The u-joints feel OK too. No clunking heard from the LCA's either. I don't get it. Also, the car needs to warm up for a few minutes before it starts to have the issue, in other words, it takes a couple of stops before the problem presents itself.

Any suggestions? I searched and found possibly ABS module so I'll pull the fuse(s) for that.

This is the 93 SC400 I just bought for my daughter.
Old 05-30-09, 06:42 PM
SC904
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a sc4 before and it did happen like that... new rotors all around, cause i thought it was the rotors but it turns out that you should change the pads too but the warp rotors causes the pads to wear off unevenly. Not a 100% sure but i change the whole setup and it did fix the problem..... just my $0.02
Old 05-30-09, 06:49 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lower ball joints.
Old 06-01-09, 02:53 PM
stephenz
Rookie

check several things!wheel balance,inner and outer tie rods,ball joints,make sure your calipers are tighten down.good luck
Old 06-01-09, 03:56 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stephenz
check several things!wheel balance,inner and outer tie rods,ball joints,make sure your calipers are tighten down.good luck
I need to check ball joints, but I have 4 new tires and the calipers are good as I just had them off to replace the rotors. There is 0 play in the steering, so it's not tie rods.
Old 06-04-09, 02:04 AM
boostin300
Driver School Candidate

How old are the pads though? Even though they look good, they would've broken into the last set of rotors, and could be worse with the new ones. Thats what happened with my avalon, changed the pads and it went away. Next time you buy pads, just hit autozone and grab the lifetime warranty Duralast pads and exchange them whenever.
Old 06-04-09, 07:01 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by boostin300
How old are the pads though? Even though they look good, they would've broken into the last set of rotors, and could be worse with the new ones. Thats what happened with my avalon, changed the pads and it went away. Next time you buy pads, just hit autozone and grab the lifetime warranty Duralast pads and exchange them whenever.
I ordered pads yesterday with the same thoughts...
Old 06-04-09, 04:12 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it only happens when using the e-brake, how are the rear pads/rotors? The problem was there before you changed the front rotors?
Old 06-04-09, 05:26 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheMole
If it only happens when using the e-brake, how are the rear pads/rotors? The problem was there before you changed the front rotors?
You read wrong. It does NOT happen when using the e-brake. Yes, the problem was there before I put new tires and rotors on. I checked the ball joints today, they're solid. I have not had a chance to replace the pads yet.
Old 06-04-09, 05:43 PM
NoLongerA13bFan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
You read wrong. It does NOT happen when using the e-brake. Yes, the problem was there before I put new tires and rotors on. I checked the ball joints today, they're solid. I have not had a chance to replace the pads yet.
The way the Ebrake is designed it would not matter if it did not shake when you apply it because the ebake acts on the inside of the hub of the rotor not the rotor itself. I had the same issue and it ended up being the rear rotors. The way I could tell is the way the vibration occurred which could be felt through the transmission which being a V160 is kind of loud and the warped rotors made it even louder under braking.
Old 06-04-09, 05:48 PM
95silversc
Rookie

its probably the pads. but you didnt specify the type of rotor you used. cheap rotors made in china and other places like that sometimes will do what you are describing unless they are turned first. also drilled/drilled and slotted rotors will sometimes start vibrating very quickly even if they are well made. due to them getting hot faster than intended and also going above the intended heat range of the parts and then cooling down quickly. all caused by the reduced mass.
Old 06-04-09, 07:15 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
O yea you're right my mistake. Pads or something with the abs make sense as you have mentioned.
Old 06-04-09, 07:24 PM
Ryeno
Banned

you dont need to BUY new pads, just get some low grit sandpaper and grind them down until they are level and new pad material is exposed. This is a cheap glazed break pad fix btw.
Old 06-04-09, 07:33 PM
TeCKis300
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Check your tire sidewalls (particularly front) carefully. You may have a pinch bubble.

This would explain that why you need to warm things up before it starts happening.

Does the shaking get progressively worse with more braking pressure and weight transfer loading the front tire sidewalls?
Old 06-04-09, 09:14 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

No change after new pads. It's not tires. It shook before I bought new tires. I didn't buy cheap rotors. In addition, I put the original rotors from the SC400 on my GS300 and it does not shake. The old rotors are slightly warped, but the GS did not exhibit the same symptoms as the SC400. I'm going to try swapping the wheels off my other SC, maybe one or more are bent.

So in short, new rotors, pads, and tires - no change in behavior. Sux...

Quick Reply: Shaking when braking - NOT rotors