Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Has anyone had brake pad fail due to dust build up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-09, 05:49 PM
New York
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had brake pad fail due to dust build up?

Brake Problem.

I'm wondering if anyone else had the same problem. I recently noticed that my brake pedal felt a little spongy, like it needed more pressure to stop the car during normal driving. I have 25k (all highway) on the car and had the original pads all the way around. I went my annual golf outing and began to feel a slight pulse in the brake pedal. When I got back I ordered new EBC's and found a surprise when I tried to change out the right front. It appears that the original pads on the right front generated a ton of brake dust which caused the brake caliper to jam and not fully retract the pad from the rotor. This must have put alot of heat in the inside pad and caused it to crack (horizontally) in half, kind of like loosing half the thickness of the pad. If this didn't happen there was a ton of pad life left in the pad. Due to this failure it also warped the rotor. This was only noticeable when the rotor was headed up after a hard stop. I replaced the rotor. I knew that the brake dust was a pain and tough to clean off the wheel, but I never heard of a pad causing so much dust it stopped the caliper from retracting. Anyone else experience this kind of fun? (I must take my hat off to the Lexus engineers, changing the rotor took about 20 minutes, Incredibly easy)

2007 Matador Red IS 350
Factory options: Luxury Package w/ 18" wheels, Nav/ML

Last edited by New York; 05-31-09 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-01-09, 10:19 AM
Is300M.Q.
Driver

Yeh well they also engineered the high dust brake pad that caused you some problems too.
Old 06-01-09, 12:23 PM
triple_c
Pole Position

i've had a similar problem in my '94 camry. somehow, the piston got stuck and forced the pad onto the rotor. The pad ended up completely crumbled, and the piston was pushing the brake pad backing plate onto the rotor. i'm not sure how it happened, but it might have had something to do with my brake hose bursting and leaking brake fluid all over about 2 weeks prior.

btw, the sound and feel of metal to metal contact on brakes is horrendous.
Old 06-01-09, 09:04 PM
kloh7
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similiar story however I had a clicking noise when I stepped on the brakes. Took it in to the dealer for them to check it out, they told me I needed new rear pads because of the heat and maybe something got stuck in between the pad and rotor, it had cracked the pad in half. I asked how much, they quoted me some crazy number and so I bought some pads myself. Took out the old pads and realized they were in good condition, no crack and still had more than 50% left. I greased them up and put them back and no problems since. Needless to say though, I had a couple of things to say to the dealer afterwords.
Old 06-02-09, 06:59 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

check your slide pins and moving parts. the dust and moisture can cause the slide pin to seize which would mean a new caliper. This is already a confirmed issue with the rear on the 06 models...hence the recall going on.