Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Soft-metal rotors? Have you ever heard of this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 07:13 AM
mbamiss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft-metal rotors? Have you ever heard of this?

I have an 06' IS 250 awd with 52k miles. Last week I started hearing some squeeking in my left front tire when I backed up. 2 days ago, I then started hearing grinding in my left front when I brake (but only once in awhile).

I took my car in for an estimate and the garage said that I needed both front brake pads and new front rotors. He said the rotors needed to be replaced too because they are "soft-metal" rotors, and wear at the same rate as the pads for better braking. He gave me a quote for $601 to replace everything..out the door.

Does this seem like a reasonable assessment and price to you guys? I am completely clueless about this Thanks in advance

Trish
Old 06-02-09, 07:40 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not ask your Lexus dealer to verify what he said? Even if you don't have the work performed there, they should answer your question about "soft-metal" rotors (which sounds like BS to me).

Typically, when brake pads are replaced the rotors are "machined," which means they mill off thin layer to restore a smooth surface. Repair shops usually try to get you to replace them because they make more money selling you a new part than repairing one.

Whatever you decide to do, you MUST replace the brake pads asap, as post-poning the repair will cause damage to your rotor (you hear that grinding noise, right?) and WILL require a replacement.

Oh ya, and for the work performed, $601 seems a reasonable price.
Old 06-02-09, 09:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Rotors do -not- need to be replaced at each pad change

Find an honest shop

Also- free front pads at lexus if you haven't done the brake dust tsib yet
Old 06-02-09, 10:09 AM
mbamiss
Driver School Candidate

Thank you both for your responses. I'll call the Lexus dealership regarding the free pads. Either way, I'm getting the car fixed this week (new pads to be sure). Thanks again!
Old 06-02-09, 10:41 AM
breplica
Pit Crew

Received 130 Likes on 60 Posts

Soft metal rotors? Yeah, those things give like an additional 20hp. Per rotor. Rawr. Dont forget to also ask him for that electric fan they stick on your intake which gives you another like 2000hp.

I'm with Kurtz on the honest workshop bit
Old 06-02-09, 10:48 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some rotors are referred to as "soft-metal" rotors, I know certain brembo rotors are classified under this moniker.

Basically it's just what it sounds like. A softer metal compound that wears faster than your average rotor. It's supposed to let the pad bite into the rotor more for better braking.

I am not sure if your car has rotors like this installed from the factory or not.
Old 06-02-09, 12:05 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Some rotors are referred to as "soft-metal" rotors, I know certain brembo rotors are classified under this moniker.

Basically it's just what it sounds like. A softer metal compound that wears faster than your average rotor. It's supposed to let the pad bite into the rotor more for better braking.

I am not sure if your car has rotors like this installed from the factory or not.
I believe the IS does come stock with this type brake rotor, many people on this forum report Lexus dealers saying they need replacement before 25,000 miles.
The TSIB is to replace OEM "dusty" pads not worn pads in order to obtain these free customer must complain about exessive brake dust.

MBAmiss I see your car has 52K + miles & is AWD I would be surprised if your rotors did Not need replacing. By the time my IS350 needs front pad replacement again I will decide what rotors to install on the IS. Whatever brand I choose I will have them hardened thru Cryogenic process of deep freezing to harden them

Last edited by Byprodrive; 06-02-09 at 12:16 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-02-09, 12:06 PM
mbamiss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CircuitMS

Yes, this is exactly how the mechanic described it. The rotors on the car currently are the ones that came on the car from the factory.
Old 06-02-09, 05:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Ask for the thickness of the rotor. There are limits to how thin the rotor can be. If it's too thin, it needs to be replaced. If it is not, you need new pads.

The bad part is you say they make a grinding sound. If the pads are shot and you've got the pad's backing plate on the rotor, your rotor is junk for sure. Front pads are $59.95 MSRP from Lexus. Front rotors together are less than $300 MSRP. So they're charging you $250 for what will amount to about an hour's work. Sounds typical.