Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help: Do MkivTT Supra sway bars fit the SC4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-02, 07:52 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Do MkivTT Supra sway bars fit the SC4?

Gang,

I just wanted to be sure before I buy these bars. Has anyone done this? If I get the sway bars and the ubrackets with bushings...is that all I need? The end links the same?

Thanks all!
Old 03-26-02, 10:39 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes....the front will bolt right on, but the rear require the supra rear subframe mounts as the rear sway bar attaches to this on the supra. I have the "big dog 50+% stiffer TRD" Supra sway bars on my 97 SC300. my car corners FLAT, and I mean FLAT!

Here is the stock Lexus Rear sway bar (bottom), stock Supra (middle), and "big dog 50+% stiffer TRDs" (top) and rear subframe mounts (Supra on left and Lexus on Right)

Here is the front

And here is a close up of the front.

Pics do not really do justice as to how much more massive these are. The weight difference alone is astounding. However, I dont recommend these bars for inexperienced drivers as the car has NO understeer and allows the car to do exactly what you want it to, asuming you know how to make it happen. If you dont, you will find yourself in trouble. But with stock supra bars (which should help) the car will be much more docile. I have some stock supra bars if anyone is interested. $150/set.
Old 03-27-02, 07:40 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Clint,

Thanks...just the info I needed. I may go ahead with the TRD bars. I will think about it and call for some prices.

Last question on your stock Supra sway bars....do the stock rear sway bar mounts come with your set? Do the TRD come with new rear mounts?
Old 03-27-02, 04:41 PM
cupete
Pole Position

The pictures are great,

My question is this, what parts do you need to install the rear sway bar on SC400? I've got the stock rear sway bar but I gave up on install because the mounting points look different.

Also, it will be great if you can post a picture of supra rear sway bar on SC400.

Thanks,

Peter~
Old 03-27-02, 10:46 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Clint, you have mail.
- Jon
Old 03-28-02, 04:06 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I tried to get hold of Clint today.. Clint if you see this, I want a set of those bars.. $150 would save me quite a bit over the dealer cost. My question of course is would I benefit by using the TRD bars instead?
let me know, this is a good cheap way to dramatically improve the car's handling.
Old 03-28-02, 08:17 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Well,

Someone correct me if I am wrong. It seems the Supra front bar is the same diameter as the SC4 front bar. Is this true?

The big difference is the rear bar. The Supra bar is much thicker.

Now, I may just as well go with the TRD Supra bars and get the larger front bar and the rear bar to match. Price for the TRD bars? about 330-340 if you get discounts.

If this information is incorrect....hurry and lmk. I will be ordering my TRD bars very soon.
Old 03-28-02, 10:55 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I decided to email steve ganz at carson and get a price from him... I'll probably order from him since he's reliable. I'm going the safe route and getting the big TRD ones since I can imagine them putting the bigger Supra TT bar on the heavier SC400, and I like the idea of being able to induce drift easier
Old 03-29-02, 05:03 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

i think clint can get these things for you...and he has alot of experience with the supra parts on an SC.....so i would seriously consider ordering anything you need from Turboimports.com....he really knows his stuff and prices are good......plus he is an active clublexus member...Jeff
Old 03-29-02, 07:55 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Mad,

Yep, TRD is what I am thinking. See if Steve or anyone is cheaper than 339.00 for the Supra TRD sway bar set. That is my price quote and I will order this week.
Old 03-29-02, 09:01 AM
cupete
Pole Position

Can someone please tell me step by step procedure to install the supra rear sway bar on SC?

Thanks.
Old 03-29-02, 10:10 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Steve said $319 for the set.
Old 03-29-02, 02:55 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Jeff, I tried to get a hold of Clint, days ago, but no luck. Max, if Steve said $319 for the set, i'll probably go that route as well. I assume that's for the 27% stiffer-than-Supra bars, I think that'll be plennnnty, not that mamalooc 53% stiffer bar.
- Jon
Old 03-29-02, 03:02 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Actually I'm going for the uber-hard TRD ones.. maybe... I think I'll call around and see if anyone knows for sure.
Old 03-29-02, 10:18 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Here's my thinking Max. You can swap out the stock SC rear bar for an oe TT unit and say 'hey, this is great,' you can swap out the stock SC rear bar for the TRD 27% and say 'wow, this is a humongous difference, it's like a different car,' or you can swap in the TRD 'uber-bar' and either loooove it or totally hate it. I'd run through the increments if it were me, or maybe jump right to the 27% bar, but that mongo rear bar is huuuuge, and without a suspension that can take advantage of/ be tuned to work in conjunction with such a fat rear bar, IMO I might find myself complaining. A guy like Clint has tried all the setups already, so the 'uber-bar' is the next step for him, but I think the regular TRD bars would be far more than adequate for mild setups. I just found TT bars for crackhead cheap, so if the guy comes through, i'll go that route. If not, i'll pick up the TRD 27% bars after I feel the car is fast enough to warrant it.
- Jon

Quick Reply: Help: Do MkivTT Supra sway bars fit the SC4?