Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Finally Installed new struts

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-09, 11:50 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally Installed new struts

So I finally finished putting my new Tokico Blues into the SC and replacing stock Toyota Tokico's that had 180k on them. I always thought that the SC came stock with KYB's but I was wrong, the stock ones on mine are Tokico's part number 48530-24220 with Toyota above it and are all black. Maybe different years came with KYB's?

Well anyways I just figured I would put my review/opinion in on the new struts with stock springs.

With new the struts in I must say the ride is much smoother and less harsh, but also rather bouncy. Over the smaller bumps the struts absorb the impact very well and the car feels very stable. Now the bigger bumps are a bit of a different story, with the larger bump/holes the rear of the car gets pretty bouncy and at decent speed feels somewhat unstable, but not unsafe yet stays comfy.

I was hoping the ride would be a little bit stiffer and less bouncy keeping the stock springs, but overall I like the Tokico's so far.
Old 06-15-09, 10:35 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a set of tokico hp's as well and they do the same damn bounce thing as you described. They are starting to get on my nerves and am contemplating changing them out for something else.
Old 06-15-09, 05:25 PM
gabegtz84
Pole Position

If you do hook a brother up with a deal
Old 06-15-09, 08:19 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheMole
I have a set of tokico hp's as well and they do the same damn bounce thing as you described. They are starting to get on my nerves and am contemplating changing them out for something else.
Yeah same here, honestly at this point I'm kinda regretting not getting the KYB's or OEM's. I have put less than 200 miles on my Tokico and I'm super annoyed. I have also been contemplating getting rid of my SC........I think I want something with 4 doors or a Tundra, I already have a few other cars that are 4 door, but it is just so hard to get rid of the SC lol.
Old 06-16-09, 01:32 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol yea I have been wanting to get into a fzj80 Land Cruiser lately, but the SC is still a great drive. I may be going with bilsteins and some spare supra tt springs I have laying around.

My dads 05 Camry's suspension is a dream compared to my SC.
My sisters 98 Civic with kyb gr2 feels more stable at times.
Old 06-16-09, 06:01 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheMole
Lol yea I have been wanting to get into a fzj80 Land Cruiser lately, but the SC is still a great drive. I may be going with bilsteins and some spare supra tt springs I have laying around.

My dads 05 Camry's suspension is a dream compared to my SC.
My sisters 98 Civic with kyb gr2 feels more stable at times.
I love the Camry's suspension, it is exactly what I want out of the SC as well but sadly I dont think it is possible even with the Gixxer setup. Hell I even put Toyo's on the car hoping it would, but it did very little except to quiet the road noise down.............waste of $850

If this was not one of my DD I really wouldnt care to much about the ride quality, but since this is my FAVORITE dd I really want it to be more comfortable.................Damn you Toyota why did you have to make the SC so attractive lol. Honestly this is the first time I have ever had a problem letting a car go, lol.