Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 02:21 PM
edwin907
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Upgrade

Hey guys, I've gotten for my IS350 the F-Sport front and rear sway bars and rear brace to go with my JIC Coilovers. Since I want to do all of this at one time, what else should I be considering for best handling.
Do any other braces contribute significantly to the handling. For what it's worth, I did feel the rear F-Sport brace made enough of a difference (in another car) to add it to the kit.
Old 06-09-09, 03:20 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by edwin907
Hey guys, I've gotten for my IS350 the F-Sport front and rear sway bars and rear brace to go with my JIC Coilovers. Since I want to do all of this at one time, what else should I be considering for best handling.
Do any other braces contribute significantly to the handling. For what it's worth, I did feel the rear F-Sport brace made enough of a difference (in another car) to add it to the kit.
If you haven't already- lighter wheels and stickier tires

Unless you're tracking the car, on slicks, you're unlikely to find any measurable improvement from additional bracing.
Old 06-09-09, 04:18 PM
edwin907
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
If you haven't already- lighter wheels and stickier tires Unless you're tracking the car, on slicks, you're unlikely to find any measurable improvement from additional bracing.
Thanks for the advice, I have the OZ Bright Silver Superleggera III in 19X8.5 & 19X10 with 225/35/19 & 265/30/19 Michelin PS2 rubber.
These aren't the lightest wheels, but they are pretty light for a 3 piece rim. I'll be going to the 275 rear tire and then add custom spacers to fill out the wheel wells after the coilover installation.
No looking for the lowest drop, just about 1.5" lower in the front with the rear to match will be perfect and should allow good handling characteristics.

Any other parts I should be looking at?

Last edited by edwin907; 06-09-09 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-11-09, 04:43 PM
edwin907
Driver

Is anybody running the JIC Coilovers with the F-Sport bars?
Any thoughts on initial setup? Ride height? Damping settings?
Got a pretty good guy to do corner balancing, 1/2 tank of gas and me in the driver's seat, right?

(I guess real handling performance takes a back seat to "lip", "flush", "slammed", and so forth.)
Old 06-11-09, 06:21 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you not already have the coilovers installed?

If you are installing the coilovers, swaybars and new brace at the same time the difference is going to be DRAMATIC. Have fun with it for awhile.

Good tires and good brakes will finish it off. Good pads will go a long way in the braking department, as will SS lines and fluid.

PM us if you need anything
Old 06-11-09, 08:10 PM
edwin907
Driver

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Do you not already have the coilovers installed? .....difference is going to be DRAMATIC.... pads will go a long way in the braking department, as will SS lines...
Very good suggestion about the stainless steel brake lines, I hadn't even considered that. Yep, been rolling on the stock suspension since purchased new, upgrade city now! Briefly looked at big brake kits, down the road for sure, but didn't even think lines. Thanks a bunch.

This Lexus (18K mileage) splits time with my 08 Rubicon 2-door (9K), just built and also paid for, as my daily driver, and I've got a bit planned for the IS since the Jeep is mostly finished.
Old 06-12-09, 04:22 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Very good suggestion about the stainless steel brake lines, I hadn't even considered that. Yep, been rolling on the stock suspension since purchased new, upgrade city now! Briefly looked at big brake kits, down the road for sure, but didn't even think lines. Thanks a bunch.

This Lexus (18K mileage) splits time with my 08 Rubicon 2-door (9K), just built and also paid for, as my daily driver, and I've got a bit planned for the IS since the Jeep is mostly finished.
Do you actually track the car? Because otherwise any brake upgrade is just as much for show as the lip and other parts you mocked earlier
Old 06-12-09, 07:22 AM
edwin907
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
... any brake upgrade is just as much for show ...
I don't know if that's entirely true, I'll be interested in seeing if SS lines give any improvement to brake feel.

I wasn't "mocking" anything, we just have a lot more posts here about "show" than we do about "go", which is entirely understandable.
Old 06-12-09, 08:42 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's funny, but the piece of the quote you took from Kurtz completely changed the truth of his statement. The "Because otherwise", and the sentence which came before it, really qualify the rest of the statement.
Old 06-12-09, 09:35 AM
edwin907
Driver

You don't think SS brakelines will improve brake feel on the Lexus?
Old 06-12-09, 11:18 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

You don't think SS brakelines will improve brake feel on the Lexus?
They might improve the feel of the pedal if the stock lines are just rubber.

They won't actually stop the car any better or faster though... and I'd definitely count them as a "show" mod not a "go" mod because of that.

They look nice though.

Last edited by Kurtz; 06-12-09 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-12-09, 12:50 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya Ya.

Let me speak to you about show and go. LOL

Set your JIC's all the way to stiff (all four corners)

Your sways are going to help alot.

Get the SS lines, and some RAF 650 brake fluid, and some High Heat pads, for heavy use.

The JIC's are a tad bit soft (For me at least) but they will defiantly do the job, however if you really want to take turns hard, you will need a stiffer spring on that coil.

After you get used to the coils on stiff, you can slightly adjust the rear damper, to allow for rear weight distribution. So you can move it to 5 clicks maybe, depends on how you feel it.

One last thing, get the fsport upgrade (full) underBrace, that will stiffen the chassis more, I would recommend that only for track day driving, as its so low.
Old 06-12-09, 01:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

I seriously doubt stainless brake lines will improve feel. Most manufacturers are using Kevlar braiding on their brake lines these days, so all you really get with braided stainless is more weight and a more frequent inspection interval. Oh, and cut fingers when a wire breaks and you find it with your hand while inspecting.
Old 06-12-09, 09:11 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

^It's my understanding (from brake engineers who have examined my OEM brake system) that Lexus OEM brake lines are braided with polyester. My Goodridge lines are an aramid fiber-stainless blended weave over PTFE (Teflon) hose, and they're guaranteed for the life of the vehicle.

Javier
Old 06-12-09, 10:24 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by javyLSU
My Goodridge lines are an aramid fiber-stainless blended weave over PTFE (Teflon) hose, and they're guaranteed for the life of the vehicle.

Javier
Wow that's a mouth full to say.

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrade