Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

H&R vs. Eibach Springs - Comparative Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-09, 09:29 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H&R vs. Eibach Springs - Comparative Review

I have history and experience with both of these springs on my wife's IS250 awd and thought I would write a quick review for others research purposes.
Brief intro, my wife had H&R Springs on her IS250awd and wasn't happy w/ the ride quality. Even I had to admit, it was pretty rough. Got her onto some Eibach 250's and ride quality improved much. She's happy.

From my driving of the vehical, here are my impressions of the two springs:

Ride Quality: Eibach wins. I'm sure it has to do w/ the progressive spring rate. H&R's are without a doubt a more sporty, stiffer ride. Eibach's are softer and made the car feel almost like stock again comparred to the H&R's.
On the flip side though, the car didn't handle quite as tight as when H&R's were on it. Cornering wasn't as precisce and braking felt like more effort had to be put into it to get the car to stop I wouldn't say sloppy feeling, but compared to the H&R's they were 'looser' feeling. But thats what you get in terms of trade off for a softer ride, you get softer everything.

Drop Looks: H&R wins. Though the H&R and Eibach's rear drop of the car looked almost identical, it was the fronts where the H&R's were more even with the rear. Eibach's raised the front just a bit, perhaps 1/4 to 3/8th's of an inch.

Eibach's = softer, more comfortable, slightly higher front (very slight^^)
H&R's = firmer/sporty, very even drop (probably the best drop you can get on springs)

**EDIT** I also wanted to throw this out there. H&R's comfort level feel better on my IS350 vs. my wifes' IS250AWD. I'm guessing its due to the strut length being different on the two cars suspesion. I have to admit, it was pretty rough riding in my wife's IS250AWD, whereas my IS350 feel firm, but not overly harsh like her's did. Anyway, just my thoughts on the same spring on an AWD vs. RWD.

Last edited by mdgrwl; 06-13-09 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-13-09, 12:10 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
Ride Quality: Eibach wins. I'm sure it has to do w/ the progressive spring rate.
BTW, the H&R springs are also progressive.
Old 06-13-09, 12:41 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
BTW, the H&R springs are also progressive.
Yes, they are 'progressive' but they do not function the same way Eibach's do. When H&R's are loaded into the cars suspension and compressed, all of those 'progressive' coil winds essentiall become dead coils. They are compressed to the point that they are touching eachother, fully dead, they have no function. I think this is simply designed so the spring doesn't uncoil when the car raises up.

Eibach's on the other hand acutally make use of the softer portion of the coil, obsorbing samller road imperfections yielding a more comfortable ride.
Old 06-13-09, 01:33 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Good writeup on the springs, thanks.

I'll add a few notes about my recent (May) installation of Eibach 350's on my IS350 which originally had factory sport suspension w/ Eibach drop of 1.0"/0.8":

. Ride is generally good, firmer than stock sport suspension. Some low speed harshness with 19's is slightly reduced with the Eibachs. Normal freeway conditions give a good ride.
. Handling is slightly improved with less body roll and improved high speed stability.
. Big high speed bumps (75mph+), I can feel the shocks strain a bit to control rebound causing more up movement than stock suspension.
. Speed bumps do require a bit more slowing for comfort.
. Car doesn't looks lowered/slammed, it looks nearly perfect with 19's, like it should have come, IMO.
. Conclusion, money well spent, nice ride/handling combo with much improved looks. I have no interest in going lower. The car still rides and handles like a Lexus.
Old 06-13-09, 02:04 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good write up and I have sat in a car with Eibach 250 and it is definitely very smooth. Funny thing is though, with H&R on my IS250, my mom thinks the ride quality is smoother than it was when we first got it. She doesn't even know I got H&R...just told her took some time to settle in.

The harshness could be due to it being AWD and having a different shock assembly?
Old 06-13-09, 02:27 PM
wicked250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any input on clunking bumping noises?

im debating to get either eibach, h&r, & fsport. looking for close to factory ride comfort & subtle drop.
Old 06-13-09, 03:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wicked250
any input on clunking bumping noises?

im debating to get either eibach, h&r, & fsport. looking for close to factory ride comfort & subtle drop.
No clunking with Eibach 350's on my IS350. Eibach 350's and f-sport springs are closest to factory ride w/minimal drop. But doesn't Tien make a conservative version of it's springs too?
Old 06-13-09, 03:33 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=stonefan52;4600189]Good write up and I have sat in a car with Eibach 250 and it is definitely very smooth. Funny thing is though, with H&R on my IS250, my mom thinks the ride quality is smoother than it was when we first got it. She doesn't even know I got H&R...just told her took some time to settle in.

The harshness could be due to it being AWD and having a different shock assembly?[/QUOTE]

Yes, must be because I have H&R's on my IS350 (my wife drives IS250awd) and its not as harsh on my IS. I'm also guessing due to the different struts.
Old 06-13-09, 03:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

That's a good test of the ride factor, I did the same with the Eibach 350's (without mentioning a change was made to springs).

1. A few days after the installation I picked up my wife from the airport and drove her home, no comments on the ride even on the bumpy route home.

2. Drove my mother around on the country roads near her house on the weekend after the installation, no comments on the ride.
Old 06-15-09, 09:17 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
Yes, they are 'progressive' but they do not function the same way Eibach's do. When H&R's are loaded into the cars suspension and compressed, all of those 'progressive' coil winds essentiall become dead coils. They are compressed to the point that they are touching eachother, fully dead, they have no function. I think this is simply designed so the spring doesn't uncoil when the car raises up.
Just one thing, mainly highlighting the design difference; the end coils do have a function on the H&Rs, in that under load they increase the spring rate of the remaining springs, which produces the stiffer, more responsive ride you recalled in your analysis. Differences in the cars aside, I also agree, in that I don't find the ride too harsh in the 350.

Eibach's on the other hand acutally make use of the softer portion of the coil, obsorbing samller road imperfections yielding a more comfortable ride.
Just to be clear, the H&R's makes use of them, too-- just with a different goal. One spring design simply leans more towards performance, while the other offers more of a compromise.

Good review.
Old 06-15-09, 09:27 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Any side by side pictures? Would love to see how much lower for H & R.
Old 06-15-09, 09:47 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

yayy can't wait till i install my H&R springs this weekend, should be getting them in the mail any day now. Thanks for the write up. pretty awesome.

i wanted the best drop springs could get me, don't have the $$$ for coils, and since i find most people here saying that the HKS hi power is loud and obnoxious, but i find it perfect in loudness and tone. i'll assume when people say the H&R drop is a bit bumpier than eibach, that its not very bumpy at all hah.
Old 06-15-09, 10:16 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xuningshen
yayy can't wait till i install my H&R springs this weekend, should be getting them in the mail any day now. Thanks for the write up. pretty awesome.

i wanted the best drop springs could get me, don't have the $$$ for coils, and since i find most people here saying that the HKS hi power is loud and obnoxious, but i find it perfect in loudness and tone. i'll assume when people say the H&R drop is a bit bumpier than eibach, that its not very bumpy at all hah.
It depends on the roads of course. Here in NJ some roads are decent and driving is a pure pleasure, very comfortable. H&R do well under moderate roads and excellent roads... but I was in NYC last night and OMG every other second was *!!BAM!!*. Roads in Brooklyn are absolutley HORRIBLE! - and thats in my IS350 it was still harsh/jarring.
That's mainly due to the struts not being able to rebound quick enough due to them being put to 'work' in a 'range' they aren't used to. Lowering the OEM struts put's them under more stress and they don't work as well as when at stock ride height...

But like I said, for moderate roads and slight things here and there, H&R's are great... but you'll see your first pot hole or big bump at high speeds in the road... its gonna be *!!BAM!!*

Having said all that, I still love em' and wouldn't trade to any other spring. But when these struts blow, and they will, I'm going to go to coilovers for adjustable dampening & precise ride height.
Old 06-16-09, 05:38 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

thanks alot for the write up man, i have a quesiton, i got mine used, and i don't have any rubber sleeves to keep the coils from rubbing together when compressed and making that *bam*. Do they come w/ a rubber sleeve brand new?
Old 06-16-09, 07:59 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I had both of the springs on my car, and couldn't agree more with your assessment. Great review!

Javier

Quick Reply: H&R vs. Eibach Springs - Comparative Review