Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Is my dealer telling the truth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-09, 11:01 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carchitect
In response to the above 2 posts:

The service limit on the rotor is rotor replacement interval. Once it arrives to or very near that service limit (since rotor resurface is usually required), the rotor will require replacement. They will need to check for rotor warpage/parallelism and thickness to determine if it is needing replacement. Also vehicle's up north build rust on the brakes and suspension from the salt used to metl the ice. A severely rusted rotor may need replacement since removal could result in damage to the rotor.

Yes I'm a Lexus certified Master tech and the reason I defend the dealer has nothing to do with where I work. Defending another dealer doesn't make a difference to me especially since they are a few states away.

Most everyone knows that in any profession there are 10% of the people who give 100% and the rest do what they feel like doing. In reality 100% of everyone does whatever they may feel like doing. Its the 10% that I talked about that give their best while looking towards improving from experience and gaining knowledge as they proceed. They intend on absorbing as much as they can to work efficiently and productively while improving their trust with their clients, co-workers and the brand. Most importantly, they are interested in self-improvement and perfection. Unfortunately, you will never get the rest 90% to follow their footsteps. They won't loose their job for not going there since they aren't going against their establishment's rules and regulations. I just have to ask you where do you think these 10% are? At your dealer or at your independant garage?
Thanks for the explanation of guidelines about rotor replacement, so I see the blanket statement that about rotor replacement at every pad change is not correct. Good info.

I'll ignore the gooblediegoop about your guess and speculation as to where where the bottom 10% hangs out, it's OT.
Old 06-30-09, 10:52 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the last 20 years that I've been doing all my own brake work (except for free stuff under warranty), I've always had excellent results from just swapping out the pads without replacing or resurfacing rotors. If the brakes aren't causing any shaking, vibrating, noise, or surging, then leave the rotors alone!
Old 06-30-09, 11:26 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by carchitect

Most everyone knows that in any profession there are 10% of the people who give 100% and the rest do what they feel like doing. In reality 100% of everyone does whatever they may feel like doing. Its the 10% that I talked about that give their best while looking towards improving from experience and gaining knowledge as they proceed. They intend on absorbing as much as they can to work efficiently and productively while improving their trust with their clients, co-workers and the brand. Most importantly, they are interested in self-improvement and perfection. Unfortunately, you will never get the rest 90% to follow their footsteps. They won't loose their job for not going there since they aren't going against their establishment's rules and regulations. I just have to ask you where do you think these 10% are? At your dealer or at your independant garage?

At the independent garages.

In fact, they probably are the folks who opened those shops.

It's the 90% uninterested in doing more then they have to that'll spend their lives working for someone else.

Hey, you asked.