Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Is my dealer telling the truth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 03:12 PM
Jason350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is my dealer telling the truth?

I took my 06 350 in for its 30k service. I just got a call from the dealership saying that my front pads are down to 2mm and that I should have them replaced and that they are "unsafe." This part I don't have a problem with...however, the rep said "on this vehicle we have to replace rotors with pads." Can someone confirm or repudiate this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jason350; 06-17-09 at 03:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-17-09, 03:26 PM
Jason350
Driver School Candidate

Further clarification from the dealership: "Lexus recommends replacing the rotors because these rotors are made of a softer metal, which wears down. They are too thin to be resurfaced. If we were to only replace the pads, you would get brake vibrations."

Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 06-17-09, 03:46 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason350
Further clarification from the dealership: "Lexus recommends replacing the rotors because these rotors are made of a softer metal, which wears down. They are too thin to be resurfaced. If we were to only replace the pads, you would get brake vibrations."

Anyone have any experience with this?
Experience with dealers lying?

Sure, all the time.

Ask them what the measured thickness of the rotor is. I bet it's well within spec.
Old 06-17-09, 03:58 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

the gs350 and is350 have same brakes, and yes, the metal gets scored with the pads and they insist on replacing both. You can pick up the car and order aftermarket rotors and pads and get someone else to throw them on for you
Old 06-17-09, 04:08 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my pads replaced twice already, and still on original rotors..
Then again I've only got 20k miles. Just pads started squeaking so I had them replaced, first time didn't do TSIB, second time got low noise pads.
Old 06-17-09, 06:27 PM
is350drive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stonefan52
I've had my pads replaced twice already, and still on original rotors..
Then again I've only got 20k miles. Just pads started squeaking so I had them replaced, first time didn't do TSIB, second time got low noise pads.
low noisee?
Old 06-17-09, 07:52 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It had like a squeak/grinding noise whenever I came to a stop, and apparently there was a TSIB for it so they changed it for free. Maybe next time I might try to see if they'll still do a TSIB for the low dust pad if I ask them really nicely..
Old 06-17-09, 11:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,021 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Experience with dealers lying?

Sure, all the time.

Ask them what the measured thickness of the rotor is. I bet it's well within spec.
So are the pads. 2mm still has another 1mm to go. With only 10.5mm of pad from brand new, they're asking you to throw out pads with 10% of their service life still left in them.
Old 06-18-09, 12:34 PM
Jason350
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all..this confirms my hunch. I'll have a different place take a look. I anticipate replacing the pads in the next 5k mi
Old 06-18-09, 12:51 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

my dealer called me for "your tires is damger! DO NOT DRIVE WITH IT"....and when i check my tires, there is still alot left....
Old 06-19-09, 03:59 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some Brembo rotors are considered "soft" metal and they transfer a lot of material from the rotors to the pad and vice-versa. It's done for better braking from a less agressive material.

With those kind of rotors/pads its a good idea to change both at the same time.

Or you can go aftermarket and usually save yourself some cash.

We carry all kind of rotors and pads, just PM us for info
Old 06-25-09, 08:34 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

When you have your vehicle serviced at your dealership, you are bringing it to a premium service center. The staff at the dealership usually has more knowledge at servicing your vehicle than most independent garages.

When you service your vehicle (and I'm not talking oil changes here) you're paying your dealer to look over your vehicle and address any issues that require attention. Brakes, tires, wiper inserts, fluids, etc.. are considered wear and tear and usually require replacement on rapid intervals. Most vehicles did well if their brakes make it to 30k. I've seen vehicles make it to 100k miles on the original pads and still had life left on them. I've seen pads worn to minimum before the 15k also so the conditions the vehicle is driven plays a much larger role. If your 7 year old kid kept on bruising his knees would you question the integrity of the clinic's personel?

Most repair manuals have pad life replacement minimum specs and I will tell you from personal experience that if you wait till they wear out to that specs, your brakes will make all sorts of noises, require increased pedal travel and have inconsistent braking control. This seems to be mostly affected on the 2IS and 3GS models. On the LS430 and LS460 if you wait to the pad life service interval, you will be purchasing expensive brake wear electrical sensors. The pad service interval at any dealer on those vehicles is 5mm on other vehicles it is usually between 2-3mm. By that time the rotors would developed an awkward wear across the rotor and that uneven wear and brake pad taper will create inconsistent brake behavior. Combine this with the systems that automatically apply brakes like the radar cruise and the problem is further amplified.

If your dealer is recommending replacing the brakes at 2mm there isn't anything wrong with that. If you are questioning their integrity then make a surprise visit to them and ask them to show you the worn brakes on your vehicle before you authorize the repair. Truth has only one side so they should have nothing to hide.

And don't believe the BS that forums talk trash about dealers and their work ethics. I've seen way more shady stuff happen in front of the customers at private garages that behind closed doors in a dealership.
Old 06-26-09, 04:16 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I notice nowhere in there did you address the original issue- that the dealer told him you have to always replace rotors with pads on a 2IS, which is flatly a lie.

It's great you wanna defend dealerships, since I believe you work for one, but that was a lot of text that didn't address the actual original issue at all- that the dealer flatly lied.

There's lots of great dealerships.

There's also dealerships where they have no idea what they're doing and they do things like rotate tires on a RWD 2IS, tell owners to check their power steering fluid when the car doesn't have any, and things like telling people they have to replace their rotors with their pads every time which simply isn't true.
Old 06-26-09, 09:04 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what is the Lexus service department stance on rotor replacement? Should rotors be changed with every pad change?
Old 06-26-09, 10:41 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

In response to the above 2 posts:

The service limit on the rotor is rotor replacement interval. Once it arrives to or very near that service limit (since rotor resurface is usually required), the rotor will require replacement. They will need to check for rotor warpage/parallelism and thickness to determine if it is needing replacement. Also vehicle's up north build rust on the brakes and suspension from the salt used to metl the ice. A severely rusted rotor may need replacement since removal could result in damage to the rotor.

Yes I'm a Lexus certified Master tech and the reason I defend the dealer has nothing to do with where I work. Defending another dealer doesn't make a difference to me especially since they are a few states away.

Most everyone knows that in any profession there are 10% of the people who give 100% and the rest do what they feel like doing. In reality 100% of everyone does whatever they may feel like doing. Its the 10% that I talked about that give their best while looking towards improving from experience and gaining knowledge as they proceed. They intend on absorbing as much as they can to work efficiently and productively while improving their trust with their clients, co-workers and the brand. Most importantly, they are interested in self-improvement and perfection. Unfortunately, you will never get the rest 90% to follow their footsteps. They won't loose their job for not going there since they aren't going against their establishment's rules and regulations. I just have to ask you where do you think these 10% are? At your dealer or at your independant garage?

Quick Reply: Is my dealer telling the truth?