Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

centric brake pads, anything good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 08:15 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default centric brake pads, anything good?

i need to replace my brake pads soon, and im confuse what to get.
but i have something in mind tho.
the Hawk HPS and the Centric brake pads
which one do you perfer? or any suggestion?
thanks
Nick
Old 06-22-09, 08:21 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if u want more stopping power get the hps. im not sure if its centric or ceramic but if its ceramic=dustless. both should be better then stock when it comes to dust unless u had the tsb done for ur car.
Old 06-22-09, 08:24 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

unless you track your car, OEM is fine.
Old 06-22-09, 09:28 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

thanks, anymore suggestion?
Old 06-23-09, 04:23 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
if u want more stopping power get the hps. im not sure if its centric or ceramic but if its ceramic=dustless. both should be better then stock when it comes to dust unless u had the tsb done for ur car.
Brake pads don't change stopping distance no matter what they're made out of. HPS pads will stop in -exactly- the same distance as OEM pads, just as physics requires.

Projectdna is exactly right, unless you track the car (or possibly drive down the side of a very steep mountain daily) the OEM low-dust pads will be a great choice.

So if the original poster hasn't already done the TSIB then there's his answer since they're free. (they might well still be his answer since they work as well as anything else and probably costs less than "performance" pads that don't stop any shorter).
Old 06-23-09, 06:48 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Brake pads don't change stopping distance no matter what they're made out of. HPS pads will stop in -exactly- the same distance as OEM pads, just as physics requires.

Projectdna is exactly right, unless you track the car (or possibly drive down the side of a very steep mountain daily) the OEM low-dust pads will be a great choice.

So if the original poster hasn't already done the TSIB then there's his answer since they're free. (they might well still be his answer since they work as well as anything else and probably costs less than "performance" pads that don't stop any shorter).
i didn't mean to stop at shorter distance but the feeling of when pressing the brake it has more bite to it. sorry for the confusion. nick if u didn't get the oem dustless pad i recommend them as on my old AWD i told the dealership to swap them because its like everyday i have gunmetal wheels. lol.
Old 06-23-09, 08:02 AM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

i picked up hawk Ceramics....much more linear bite to them. i used centric rotors however.
Old 06-23-09, 08:51 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, pads can change the feel... they all stop the same though.

What's funny is the last 2 posts suggest completely opposite things- one suggests pads that are more grabby (ie quick bite) and the other suggests smoother engagement pads. I suppose it's a personal thing. To me, smoother engagement means better control of applying proper braking force for the situation.

Interestingly, you get the same difference from the OEM stock pads (grabby) to the low-dust OEM ones (much smoother engagement)
Old 06-23-09, 09:26 AM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Yeah, pads can change the feel... they all stop the same though.

What's funny is the last 2 posts suggest completely opposite things- one suggests pads that are more grabby (ie quick bite) and the other suggests smoother engagement pads. I suppose it's a personal thing. To me, smoother engagement means better control of applying proper braking force for the situation.

Interestingly, you get the same difference from the OEM stock pads (grabby) to the low-dust OEM ones (much smoother engagement)
OK..i have to say something...Kurtz what makes you such an expert about pads...You always say that all pads stop in the same distance..So i have taken my car to the track & asked guys at the track what pads do they use in there cars and why...YES better brake pads race pads under higher heat will grab better in turn stop the car faster...I just got off the phone yesterday with a race shop about my car asking what pads are better for my car for what i want to do and ask then the same question..Do different pads stop better and everyone that races says YES..So i will just go will all the guys at the track & get the better pads that will stop my car better...So stock pads will fade under harder braking as better race style padds are grabby & will stop the car sooner under heavier braking...So Kurtz sorry i am gonna has to disagree with you about pads...
Old 06-23-09, 09:34 AM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

PS Love67....get the Hawk pads my friend that runs the corvette challenge out in SoCal runs a pair of Hawk pads a loves them...I just wish they made them for the IS350...& yes he says cuz i ask him about pads..if they stop better he laughed at me was like dude when i hit the brakes now if i didn't have a seat belt on i would go through the front windshield...So yes Pads alone made his car stop faster...Also to with better tires that to is gonna make a big difference...
Old 06-23-09, 11:30 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NoHoIS350
PS Love67....get the Hawk pads my friend that runs the corvette challenge out in SoCal runs a pair of Hawk pads a loves them...I just wish they made them for the IS350...& yes he says cuz i ask him about pads..if they stop better he laughed at me was like dude when i hit the brakes now if i didn't have a seat belt on i would go through the front windshield...So yes Pads alone made his car stop faster...Also to with better tires that to is gonna make a big difference...

It would violate pretty basic laws of physics for pads to make any difference in stopping distance.

Look up the formula for vehicle stopping distance sometime.

it doesn't ask what kind of brake pads you use.

Here, lemme help you-
http://www.csgnetwork.com/stopdistcalc.html

It needs to know your speed, and the coefficent of friction between the road and the tires. It doesn't care, at all, about your brakes. Because the brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.

Don't believe me? How about Brembo? How about stoptech? How about brake engineers that actually design brake systems for cars?

Not to be rude, but anyone who tells you brake pads reduce stopping distance has no idea how brakes actually work.

Put any set of pads for the car on the car, start the car up, drive up to 60 miles per hour, slam the brakes to engage ABS.

Measure braking distance.

Now put any other set of pads for car the on the car, repeat the test.

_exact_ same distance, just as physics requires.

Bigger rotors don't stop the car any faster either. Nor stainless steel brake lines, nor anything ELSE you can do to the OEM braking system.

because the brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.

The friction between the -tires- and the -road- are what stop the vehicle. Once ABS is engaged (which any set of properly working pads will do exactly as well as any other) then any more "brake" force from your expensive pads is completely and totally wasted.

Braking distance is the distance the car takes to make a single stop from a given speed (usually measured at 60, 70, or 100)... that's the kind of braking a person cares about in a street car since it's what keeps them from dying.

And it'll be exactly the same between any two sets of pads.

Brake -fade- is something that happens in a race application, and might occur after the 10th stop in 5 minutes from 120 miles per hour... but has no impact on street driving because you won't run into it outside of, as I say, driving down the side of a steep mountain without understanding how to use your gears.

Even then fade leads to -increased- stopping distance after it sets in. It doesn't reduce stopping distance.

Among myraid sources:

Brembo FAQ:
Where can I find test data on stopping distances?

At the speeds that stopping distance is generally measured from (60 to 70mph), the test is primarily testing the tire’s grip on the pavement. As delivered from the manufacturer, nearly all vehicles are able to engage the ABS or lock the wheels at these speeds. Therefore, an increase in braking power will do nothing to stop the vehicle in a shorter distance. For this reason, we do not record stopping distances at this time.

If you want a good understanding of how brakes work, and what upgrading certain parts can and can NOT do, I strongly suggest you read this:

http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/p...n/pfpage1.html

It's written by a world known brake engineer who has designed OEM and race braking systems. The relevant part to this topic begins with-

"This part might surprise some and offend others, but it is a big misconception that changing brake pad material will magically decrease your stopping distances. In fact, you may have even seen published "data" which attempts to correlate stopping distance to friction coefficient. Although it may appear that there is a relationship between the two, there really isn't, and here's why."

He then goes on to explain why pads don't change stopping distance.

Last edited by Kurtz; 06-23-09 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-23-09, 11:40 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by NoHoIS350
OK..i have tSo i have taken my car to the track & asked guys at the track what pads do they use in there cars and why...YES better brake pads race pads under higher heat will grab better in turn stop the car faster...I just got off the phone yesterday with a race shop about my car asking what pads are better for my car for what i want to do and ask then the same question..Do different pads stop better and everyone that races says YES..So i will just go will all the guys at the track & get the better pads that will stop my car better...So stock pads will fade under harder braking as better race style padds are grabby & will stop the car sooner under heavier braking...

Well when they (racer car owners and what not) say they stop better, it doesn't necessarily mean it'll stop at a shorter distance, which Kurtz is arguing. Fade can be an issue at the track where higher heat capacity pads may help, but if neither pads are fading, stopping distance will practically be the same.

Both of what you guys are saying are true. Better pads will reduce fade, thus avoiding longer stopping distance. Better pads will not reduce braking distance if both pads aren't fading. You can't replace OEM pads with some Carbotechs and expect to stop 20ft shorter. But you can expect them to be more consistent.
Old 06-23-09, 11:50 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Well when they (racer car owners and what not) say they stop better, it doesn't necessarily mean it'll stop at a shorter distance, which Kurtz is arguing. Fade can be an issue at the track where higher heat capacity pads may help, but if neither pads are fading, stopping distance will practically be the same.

Both of what you guys are saying are true. Better pads will reduce fade, thus avoiding longer stopping distance. Better pads will not reduce braking distance if both pads aren't fading. You can't replace OEM pads with some Carbotechs and expect to stop 20ft shorter. But you can expect them to be more consistent.

Exactly... in a normal highway stop both pads will stop in exactly the same distance.

Where racing pads are important is the racer is stopping from twice that speed, and doing it 20 times in a row in just a few minutes without ever letting the brakes cool off at all....

Stopping from 75 mph once=same distance with any 2 pads.

Probably even doing it 3 or 4 times in a few minutes.

On a race track though you might be stopping the 20th time from that speed in a few minutes though and the fade-resistant pads will stop in less -added- distance than the fading pads will.

Neither will ever stop any shorter than they did the first time though, when they stopped in exactly the same distance.
Old 06-23-09, 12:23 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

OK cool over and done....
Old 06-23-09, 05:38 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

thanks guys... im sorry about the arguement...

Quick Reply: centric brake pads, anything good?