Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BC Racing Coilovers woohooo.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 06:14 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are offered in both pillow and rubber ball mounts. Why wouldn't you of gone with the rubber mounts? Your review is speaking of noise.... rubber should of taken care of this and overall given a smoother ride no?

That would of been my choice...
Old 07-02-09, 10:37 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
They are offered in both pillow and rubber ball mounts. Why wouldn't you of gone with the rubber mounts? Your review is speaking of noise.... rubber should of taken care of this and overall given a smoother ride no?
That would of been my choice...
I wanted better feedback, which i got with these. They also allow for more consistent alignment. However, most people wont even notice this sound. After getting these I dont regret it at all.
The good thing is that you have a choice. I chose pillowball

Last edited by juice14; 07-02-09 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-02-09, 11:30 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,058 Likes on 2,456 Posts

No, the mounts will do nothing to assist alignment stability. Our cars don't have struts. Pillow ball = harsher ride and catastrophic failure when they wear out. I would never run them on a street car. They are a race only configuration.
Old 07-02-09, 11:54 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No, the mounts will do nothing to assist alignment stability. Our cars don't have struts. Pillow ball = harsher ride and catastrophic failure when they wear out. I would never run them on a street car. They are a race only configuration.
rubber mounts better, or are you saying coilovers in general you would never run for street cars?
Old 07-02-09, 12:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I'd never run pillowball mounts on a street car. I've seen them fail, and it's catastrophic. There's practically no warning, they just wear out and push the rods into the trunk or through the hood.

The IS line, even 1st gen, all have double wishbone suspension, so there's no advantage to pillowball mounts. If we had struts, I'd be a bit more on the fence about it, but since we don't, there's no need to risk the kind of failure pillowball mounts suffer.

If you really want the same kind of advantage pillowball mounts make with struts, you'll need to get polyurethane bushings and swap out all your rubber bushings. This will give measurable benefit and even a pretty strong seat of the pants difference on a street car. The one thing I will say though, it's a whole lot easier to talk about swapping out bushings than it is to actually do it. Few things are as much of a PITA as a full bushing swap.
Old 07-02-09, 12:16 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pillowball mounts will usually start making noise before they fail, we have NEVER had one fail yet. We have had customers say the pillowball bearings were wearing out and making noise, and then they just replaced them. And some of these guys are hardcore tracking these things.

We do recommend going with the rubber mounts on the Lexus Apps though, like Lobux said the Pillowballs offer little advantage over the rubbers, other than a bit more direct feel. The rubebr bushings used are pretty stiff, similar to a urethane bushing.
Old 07-02-09, 12:18 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

^ Thanks. So I'm guessing if you went with these coilovers you would of gone rubber mounts?

I'm starting to research coilovers now because soon enough my shocks are going to blow on my H&R springs... I just know it.
Old 07-02-09, 12:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
^ Thanks. So I'm guessing if you went with these coilovers you would of gone rubber mounts?

I'm starting to research coilovers now because soon enough my shocks are going to blow on my H&R springs... I just know it.
Yes, I would have gone with the rubber mounts. I don't doubt CircuitMS, but I've known a couple of Supra people who did have failures with Tein (just another reason I'm not a Tein fan at all), so if I'm street driving the car, I want rubber mounts.

For a track day car - all solid mounts please - because I'm going to regularly inspect them for wear and expect to replace them more frequently because they're exposed AND being subjected to very high loading you would almost never see while street driving. Besides, I really don't want to preflight my car every single time I drive it.
Old 07-02-09, 01:34 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

We can talk about this all day I know guys with G35 and Evo who have had pillowball mounts on different brands coils for years and never failed, its a matter of choice. It took me a couple of months to decide which coilovers to get and which specs. At first I wanted JIC but I can get 2 sets of BC racing instead of 1 JIC. I narrowed down t either 10/8 rates with pillowball or 12/8 with rubber. I went for the pillowball for the direct feel considering I have good tires and comfortable Toyo T1r. Id say if you go cheapo on tires get the rubber mounts. I wish I could show you guys what Im talking about the sound its barely noticeable and this wouldnt even be a discussion. However I enjoy listening to what experts have to say..

Last edited by juice14; 07-02-09 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-02-09, 03:27 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Tein has made a name for themselves with awesome advertising, I myself, don't care at all for the product. I think it's junk.

Like I said since we have been using BCR stuff I have not seen or heard of one pillowball failure. We do recommend rubber mounts just for the fact that for street driving, they are more practical.
Old 07-02-09, 07:11 PM
Starfire07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CircuitMS, why was I not made aware of the rubber mount option? Can you post a picture or two on how they look different from the ones I have?
Old 07-02-09, 10:22 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Starfire07
CircuitMS, why was I not made aware of the rubber mount option? Can you post a picture or two on how they look different from the ones I have?
Here you go Starfire07 i was given these when i was in contact with tristan from BCR durning the production stage of the AWD version
Old 07-03-09, 12:07 AM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I love your review. I think I know which coils to get now.
Old 07-03-09, 09:38 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Starfire - They come standard with rubber mounts
Old 07-13-09, 11:54 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

springs settled about 1/4 inch, Ill adjust and then align the car and that should help handling much better