Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bushing question again

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-02, 07:27 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default press

hmm i dont know a cheap press maybe $150-200, but if we get a few cars it will be easier and cheaper. ooooooooooooh i think my friend has a press i can use, ill ask him.

so whats the deal with the Bushing? where, when, and how much? are the bushings
Old 05-04-02, 09:04 PM
black sc
Pole Position

I am wondering the same thing also. Need those bushings. Also, I have 18" wheels. Is that a problem?

Last edited by black sc; 05-04-02 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-17-02, 05:41 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default where are the bushings?

where are the bushings? when will they be in?
Old 05-22-02, 10:38 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swap in the entire Supra TT lower control arms. You'll have better cornering, and less nosedive in braking. THey're a bolt in item.

SR
Old 05-22-02, 11:23 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

CmputerWiz,

Do you know the price for the Supra TT lower control arms right of hand? Also, are we talking 93-98 Supra TT?

Thanks,
Old 05-22-02, 07:37 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Default Supra Front Arms

AFAIK Fitting the Supra front arms will not effect or improve the anti-dive geometry (the Soarer/SC has good anti-dive characteristics) but it will firm-up the front arm location by virtue of having less compliant bushes.

The blue Nolothane bushes are harder again than the Supra items and probably compare with the TRD track bushes for hardness.

I dont know how much the Supra lower front arms are in comparison to the Lexus items, it would not surprise me if the Toyota components are cheaper. Replacing the lower arm bushes with Nolothane items saves £200 GBP per side on the Soarer compared with buying the complete arms.

I got my new bushes delivered from Oz on Sunday and get them fitted next week, will let you know how it goes.

Two points to note, if there is any wear or play in the lower arm bearing the arm is scrap, if you remove/refit the arms you should have the front geometry reset.
Old 07-02-02, 04:59 AM
Manny
Driver School Candidate

Anyone looking for bushes can now order from the ALSC site

Australian Lexus Soarer Owners Club

Just enter the site and select Marketplace and scroll down untill you see the blue bushes

Bushes suit SC300/400, Soarer and MKIV Supra

With the current exchange rate, almost half the listed Aussie dollar for US Dollar equivalent

UPS express freight out of Melbourne Australia daily

The forum is also ideal for those seeking JDM Parts, badges etc and a friendly chat
Old 07-13-02, 04:40 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Default Finally fitted new lower arm bushes

Here is more info on replacing the f/lower arm bushes, we got the Nolothane bushes from Rob Hayden ALSC.

I had a lot of creaking with the bottom arm after fitting the new bushes but it transpired my rearmost crossmember mounting was bent and it was trapping the new bush, so I replaced the x/member and it all works fine now.

I have a new section on my website with more pics of the job, this has transformed the steering and I have yet to take it in for the geometry set-up.

PS, you dont need a press, a big bench mounted vice will do the job perfect.

Last edited by London Bill; 07-13-02 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-14-02, 08:12 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good,hopefully we'll get a reasonable equal here soon.
So did you put a grease groove inside the bush before installing?
Old 07-14-02, 04:29 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

SCV8;

We just made sure each surface had a good coating of the supplied lithium grease.
Old 07-16-02, 09:29 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default ordered bushes

hey guys i orderd my bushes from WHITELINE in sidney aus. are those the same bushes you guys got?

i called them, and talked to them via phone, but thre website is www.whiteline.com.au i talked to jackie, i hope there the right ones, i'll be getting them in like a week or 2.
Old 07-17-02, 02:31 AM
Manny
Driver School Candidate

They are not the same items.
Whitelimes have been available for a while and were developed for the MKIV Supra but I have yet to hear of anyone fitting them to SC/Soarers. Only seen feedback for the ALSC sourced units.
It would be great to get feedback from you though on how you find the Whiteline units.

Last edited by Manny; 07-17-02 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-28-02, 10:00 AM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default Done!

I got the Bushes/bushings this week, i installed them yesterday, the bushings fit perfectly, there not for the supra, there for the soarer.

The car feels GREEEEEEAT! i went for a quick test drive lastnight, 125 mph and extreamly stable, befor at 90 mph+ the car was scarey, very hard to control.

all in all GET NEW BUSHINGS, you will not regret it.

PS should i post some pix or do a how to?

-Xavier_
Old 07-28-02, 08:08 PM
rboorgu
Rookie

Default Soarer bushings

A write up would be great. Can you also please post the part numbers and cost of the items you ordered.

Thanks

Raj Boorgu
Old 07-29-02, 02:56 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

I changed the front lower arm bushes 2 weeks back on my Soarer (SC), there is some details and photo's on my site under Mechanical\Suspension. This transformed the steering it is only afterwards that you appreciate just how poor the old front bushes had been at locating the bottom arms.

At first I had a lot of trouble with creaking/knocking but it transpired that the rear crossmember (front lower suspension, rearmost mounting) was damaged due to the accident last year, once the x/member was replaced it allowed the arm/bushes to rotate correctly. I now have a different clonk/noise which we suspect is the front rollbar bushes, probably due to them being disturbed while working on the front end.

In the past week I have had a differential and air-con compressor failure so the bushes have been pushed back in the running order for repairs.

Quick Reply: Bushing question again