Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bushing question again

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-02, 11:19 AM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bushing question again

Some has to make the bushing, they made the bushing for lexus didnt they.

either way, anything new on the bushing quest, i need the lower front passanger bushing.

and i think $360 is WAY too much for a rubber bushing!

maybe if we all rally and call Energy or some other suspension company they will make a bushing kit for SC's.

i mean how hard could it be.

also if anyone in SO CAL has an extra bad lower control arm that i can barrow, i can start looking around for a source, like sandrails, off road, rally, etc. i know people that Rally and build sand rails, they might be able to help on the bushing prob that we are all having.

has anyone checked with the SUPRA people, see if there having the same problem?

also i called the dealer. On the 97+ SC's you can buy just the bushing's. maybe interchangible?

I also know a company that makes engine mount kits for engine swaps, i think if we all get a group buy they might make a bushing kit for the SC.

so let me know what you guys think, if not im on this quest alone.

thanx

Xavier
Old 04-02-02, 05:31 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I am an industrial engineer. I'm locating a version of autocad now and working on a design to adapt seats for Hondas - eventually universal brackets so that you can buy a kit to fit seats of any standard design in any car. Anyways, If I can get dimensions, or a bushing w/ the picture of the stock one, I can make a 3 view standard drawing. I have a connection with a Polyurethane manufacturer in OH through my job so I can have a mold made for that and any other parts for product to be casted with any density PUR needed. Of course, we will need oem specs. on the density needed and the dimensions. But it is doable. I will do more research.

andrew@maysvilleky.net

AJ
Old 04-02-02, 06:33 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default wow

that's a bit far, its just a bushing =) all i really need is the dimensions and im sure some suspension company will have one that will fit, like off a different vehicle. i mean if we have to go that far to have it molded and casted then so be it, but for the time being, theres gotta bea a faster, easier way. so lets find it. also do you need autocad?
Old 04-02-02, 06:42 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Well, a complete kit from engineering grade materials - marketed for our line of vehicles - could be a productive endeavor. The mold would be - well - costs would actually be minimal. I use autocad a lot so I have it readily available and It's handy for me. I don't need it. Just thinking out loud.
Old 04-09-02, 02:57 AM
blankman
Driver School Candidate

I'm a little lost as far as what bushing you are needing, but I can tell you if it is just a simple bushing, get the deminsions, and find a machine shop to make you one out of Delrin, that is a type of plastic, or if you can do it your self, go buy the plastic, it should not cost more than $5 but many places make you buy a minumum amount of material, you should probably do both sides of the car as this will be stiffer than the original, I used to put them on race cars at a shop I worked at. Hope that helps
Old 04-09-02, 08:31 AM
vuvu
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

I have tried to order the bushing alone from www.parts.com. You have to order for the Toyota Supra bushing since SC series and Supra use the same suspension if I am not wrong.

It costs ~$1.50 each. They said the item is backordered and will ship to me by end of this week. Hopefully they will find the bushing. I'll let you know when I receive it. It's no. 7 on the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Bushing question again-bushing.gif  
Old 04-26-02, 11:33 PM
black sc
Pole Position

Did you ever find the lower arm bushing and if you did? What is the part number? Did it ride as smooth as stock?

Trending Topics

Old 04-26-02, 11:42 PM
c_irie
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

will you also remove and replace the bushings yourself ? (do you have a connection with a machine shop ?)
Old 04-27-02, 12:57 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It would be nice if Energy made some bushings...SC's seem to have a bushing problem in general...

I heard that Energy had a major fire though and they're in the process of relocating...might NOT be a good time to hit them up...
Old 04-28-02, 11:34 AM
c_irie
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

this is a quote from the soarer tt site in england

"Bangs & Clunks:

The Lower front arms have bushes fitted on the inner ends, these bushes wear after several years and cause a dreadful sounding "CLUNK" from the front end, normally noticed if you brake when going backwards and then again the first time you brake when going forward. Toyota only sell the bushes fitted to the lower arms (about £300+tax in the UK). Our Oz guys have manufactured replacement bushes in Blue Nolothane which is a touch harder than the originals but not noticeably so, these cost about $35 AUS ( about £13 GBP) each. I am told only the two rear most bushes need changing on each lower arm so replacement is just two bushes costing around £26 GBP, we are getting several sets sent over from Oz by Rob Hayden of the ALSC so we can reduce the shipping costs, contact Powerhouse if you need any in the UK as they should soon have a couple of sets on stock.

Iain Wiltshire has always maintained that the current bushing is not suitable for wheels beyond 16" as they are too soft to take the additional lateral forces, fitting the harder bushes rearmost on the arm will allow for 18" rims, fitting the Nolothane bushes to the front and rear mountings will accommodate 20" rims. There are differing Toyota part numbers for the lower arms on the JZZ30 (UZZ30/31 are the same), as the physical dimension is the same it can only be the bushing that is different, a point to note here is the bottom ball joint, if this has any play it will require the complete arm to be replaced.

The JZA80 Supra appears to share the same bottom arm (again different part numbers - same dimensions) so this mod would be useful for any Supra owners with Clonking suspension or wanting to stiffen the front suspension mountings

so it seems very possible to do
Attached Thumbnails Bushing question again-lowerarmflh.jpg  
Old 04-28-02, 04:06 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Garage SPL also offers a full suspension replacement kit made of chrome moly tubing...it's a CRAZY looking kit...replaces all the a-arms (front and rear) and some other arms...but it's like $4800 for the set (like 15 pieces or something)

So who can source these Nolothane bushings for us?
Old 04-29-02, 08:17 AM
vuvu
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Bushing order from www.parts.com

Hi all,

I received the shipment last week and it turned out they don't have bushing alone for sale. They shipped the bushing's bolts and nuts which is WRONG part. I guess I have to live with the noise from the front suspension for now until someone makes the bushing for us....
Old 04-29-02, 07:48 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Hi Guys;

The bushes we ordered from Oz are in production this week, we should see them in the UK in a few weeks time.

The UK Supra owners are in the same boat over lower arm bushes, they too are ordering from me/Rob Hayden.

I will let you know how we get-on.
Old 04-30-02, 05:47 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default bushings

So powerhouse has the Bushings? how long and howmuch for the bushings? im willing to BUY a press to remove my bushings, and if anyone in the SO CAL area wants to change the bushings they can do it here, just donate some cash to the BUY-A-PRESS foundation and we can do it all here.
i have ALL the tools minus the PRESS. but i REALLY hate the clunking noise.

Xavier
Old 05-01-02, 08:11 AM
vuvu
Driver School Candidate

Chairmnofthbord ,

Count me in, I live in Los Angeles area and have been sufferring with the clunk clonk noise from suspension.

By the way, I read some instructions about replacing the bushing. They said that: when you remove the old busing, it is better to burn it instead of press it out since it might make the outer ring bigger, then when you install the new busing in, the busing will be loose inside. But to put the new busing back, I think we still need the PRESS to do the job. So, how much is the PRESS?

Quick Reply: Bushing question again