Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Building Suspension for Road Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 07:23 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax98
No biggie man, we all had our Bacardi moments LOL
your car looked pretty good in the vid, it looked flat in turns, but it might be the camera. Regardless, i was laughing my *** off when that dude spun off over the wet spot LOL
Imagine your car handling like a go-kart and less like a boat. The more you lower your center of gravity towards your center of roll <in a certain range> the more your car will lose roll. If you take roll out of the equation, then weight can be countered by tires and brakes that can handle it <very simply of course>. The further you place COG from COR, the more magnified the weight problem.. If the COR and COG are on the same level <which i haven't seen on street cars>, then theoretically you'll have no roll. However, when the car is moving, parts start moving in relation to each other and it gets complicated.
I hope that helps

Edit: how heavier were the Daizens compared to stockers?
thanks that help alot. way heavier, totally worth the $500. & with the rear being adjustable its awesome. ive made changes @ the track & it totally worked. you can totally feel the change in the *** end w/just that small adjustment. w/my new rear strut bar i might have to change it again or run slightly softer in the rear on the struts.

oh and yea thats awesome that, that happened right in front of me, & got it on cam. that guy had the targa off his elise, it cost him $100 just to have the car sprayed off & that didnt include the inside that had alot of mud & grass. it looked like a water skier throwin a wake, but mud lol

Last edited by spdrcr771; 03-18-10 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-18-10, 07:28 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by spdrcr771
thanks that help alot. way heavier, totally worth the $500. & with the rear being adjustable its awesome. ive made changes @ the track & it totally worked. you can totally feel the change in the *** end w/just that small adjustment. w/my new rear strut bar i might have to change it again or run slightly softer in the rear on the struts.
For some reason, i think the front stocker is plenty strong, the rear one looks real weak though. I may go with the titan one since i already have the Supra subframe mounts.
Old 03-18-10, 10:11 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the thicker the sway bar in the rear the more oversteer your car will have. if your car oversteers as is you should keep your sway bar where it is now and soften up the shocks.

swy bars have spring rates too and they should be used to complement your cars spring rates. basically if you have soft springs with a stiff sway bar it isnt much better then stiff spring and no sway bar.

my next suspension step is to go with a different/better set of dampers and softer spring rates. also get an adjustable rear sway bar.

some sway bar info, although not for our car, still applies and is very helpful:
http://www.miata.net/garage/soloii.html
Old 03-18-10, 11:19 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
the thicker the sway bar in the rear the more oversteer your car will have. if your car oversteers as is you should keep your sway bar where it is now and soften up the shocks.

swy bars have spring rates too and they should be used to complement your cars spring rates. basically if you have soft springs with a stiff sway bar it isnt much better then stiff spring and no sway bar.

my next suspension step is to go with a different/better set of dampers and softer spring rates. also get an adjustable rear sway bar.

some sway bar info, although not for our car, still applies and is very helpful:
http://www.miata.net/garage/soloii.html
well its kinda hard to say now. with the rear strut bar it wants to push more, cause the whole car is flatter, so i might have to set to oversteer. im not going to the track till may, so gotta wait.

is the titan rear sway bar adjustable?, kinda suck you cant just buy the rear daizen.
Old 03-19-10, 01:07 AM
madmax98
Instructor

my car understeers at the limit, but i suspect it's because of my softer spring rates in the back. i figured i should get an adjustable sway bar first before changing the rear rates, since i'm going to get the sway bar anyway.
Old 03-23-10, 05:27 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Bump for a cool thread.
Old 03-23-10, 07:22 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

im trying to source a front cross member right now but no luck. "T70 supra" works at a place that has one but the boss wont budge less then 150 for it.

someone has one laying around for a donation or cheaper?....please
Old 03-23-10, 10:36 PM
madmax98
Instructor

why r u looking for a cross member? sorry if i missed it

EDIT: what's your zip code, i might be able to find a cheap one for you

Last edited by madmax98; 03-23-10 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-23-10, 11:53 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

i know a guy that striping sc but im not sure if he' s gonna keep the cross member or not, still might be alot to ship. you need local hook up.
Old 03-24-10, 07:59 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by madmax98
why r u looking for a cross member? sorry if i missed it

EDIT: what's your zip code, i might be able to find a cheap one for you
i wanna modify the pickup points for the control arms.
Old 11-06-11, 11:38 AM
madmax98
Instructor

Any progress 5SP-jzz30?
Old 11-10-11, 04:33 PM
scmissle
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Madmax 98, have you pmd 5SP-jzz30? I would like to see this thread a functional thread and a follow up. I have been doing some of my own research and looking into modifying the pickup points once i lower the car. I spoke with a fab shap that deals with porsche cup cars and they will be the ones doing the pickup point mods for me. From what i understand, the fabricator mentioned if you want the best handling, a custom built subframe and suspension design would be best. Being that im going to be using custom front upper and lower arms, he will be modifying the pickup points AFTER i lower the car. The engineers from lexus are smart in their design, its the consumer that wants a lower ride. Center of gravity is better on a lower vehicle, but center of gravity is not what makes a vehicle handle. it does its part but its not all favorable. Having lowered the center of gravity on any car, the suspension design from the factory has been altered. By setting the ride height for the car, then modifying the pickup points to bring geometry back to factory specs will result in a well handling vehicle, as well as having the benefit of a lower center of gravity. I read from an engineering magazine that the proper way to "lower" a vehicle is by changing pick up points and then adding proper shocks/struts/coilovers for the desired ride height.. It makes sense not to change the geometry the original engineer has designed.