Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My whole car is shaking after 40 mph, ive tried everything..

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-10, 11:44 AM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGVIC23
Thats some good advice. Due to my limited time lately, do you tthink it would financially smart for me to take it to the lexus dealership to check it out? I dont really want to break the bank just for them to tell me whats wrong though. LMK, thanks
I know others will disagree with me, I personally dont think the dealer is interested in helping you fix the problem when you are lowered with anything outside the stock setup. If they see you roll in, expect to spend alot of money and get 0 results with this issue. They are going to also tell you to deal with it as it is the price of being lowered.
Old 06-28-10, 06:48 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll go out on a limb: Has anyone had this problem that continued after installing a Daizen Polurethane caster bushing? I'm about to. My '06 began to have problems immediately after installing wheel spacers. I firmly believe that the oem caster bushings are just too soft to work with the altered geometry. The toe-in that is set during alignment and is there at lower speeds is fine, but as speeds increase the road forces push back on the suspension caster bushings and the toe-in becomes toe-neutral and then as speeds continue to increase it transitions to toe-out. The vibrations are at their worst somewhere around toe-neutral as the tires move side to side seeking stability. Whether it's wider tires, offset wheels, wheel spacers or just a tired caster bushing the result is the same: vibration. I believe the Daizen poly bushing is going to be the best cure as even a new oem caster bushing is too soft for altered suspensions setups. When I do mine I'm only going to change the caster bushing to a poly bushing. I'll let you know how it comes out.

The caster bushing isn't the only source of vibrations but it can't be overlooked.
Old 06-28-10, 07:30 PM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mole
I had the same problem on my 430. I had cheap cast 18" wheels and was lowered on h-techs.

I had hunter road force balance done, alignments, checked the wheels, nothing. The car had 44K miles on it roughly.

I upgraded to higher end 20" staggered zones, tein cs2 and had my steering rack pretensioner adjusted by a guy who knew how to do it and how much based on how much the car got lowered. The car rode smooth as silk even at 60mph on target. I had friends comment how smooth the car rode lowered with 20's and a 25 series tire in the rear.

I read through and didnt see where you said you had the pretensioner on the steering rack adjusted. If your car is lowered, the pretensioner should be adjusted to compensate for the difference in ride height. If your running inexpensive wheels, it might be contributing but since it sounds like you ran it with your stockers and the problem was still there.

I know others may have done what I have and still had their problem, but this is what worked for me and what I was told by my mechanic who is a lexus master tech who has his own shop in OC. I trust him and I know many others do as well.
That is a good suggestion, who did yours?? Yea im pretty sure its not the wheels, the problem occurs on 3 different sets, and the current 20's are not cheap. How do your coilover's ride? and what set up did you have before?
Old 06-30-10, 09:50 AM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

I've noticed that all of the Daizen bushings solved my WHEEL shake, so my steering wheel is solid, however, the remaining vibration is almost like the entire car moves up and down. I can SEE the hood and dash move at high speeds but my steering wheel feels fine..
Old 06-30-10, 10:55 AM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BIGVIC23
That is a good suggestion, who did yours?? Yea im pretty sure its not the wheels, the problem occurs on 3 different sets, and the current 20's are not cheap. How do your coilover's ride? and what set up did you have before?
coilovers rode great when I had them, I am back to stock.

Before the coilovers I had h-techs on stock shocks and cheap 18" cast wheels...

Dynamic in Midway City, Bolsa south of Beach works on my car, no one else touches it anymore. Call Son at 714-899-2939, the guy is great and has taken good care of me.
Old 07-03-10, 09:30 PM
GS_Louis
Driver School Candidate

Default maybe

An unbalanced driveshaft can cause vibrations at higher speeds.
How do i know? its happened to me before, maybe a weight fell off or you might of run over something to dent it. This vibration is only felt at higher speeds.
Hope I helped!
Old 07-08-10, 10:38 AM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mole
coilovers rode great when I had them, I am back to stock.

Before the coilovers I had h-techs on stock shocks and cheap 18" cast wheels...

Dynamic in Midway City, Bolsa south of Beach works on my car, no one else touches it anymore. Call Son at 714-899-2939, the guy is great and has taken good care of me.
thanks a lot. may be making a phone call soon.
Old 07-08-10, 10:38 AM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS_Louis
How do i know? its happened to me before, maybe a weight fell off or you might of run over something to dent it. This vibration is only felt at higher speeds.
Hope I helped!
how did you find out it was an unbalanced drive shaft?
Old 07-19-10, 08:50 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS_Louis
Hope I helped!
this is a very common problem with many GS owners, probably not very likely that many have issues with driveshaft.
Old 11-15-10, 07:30 PM
wald.sc400
BANNED for ripping off other members

long story short, i had larger wheels on my gs4, rode on a very rough and broken road and driver side front tire came off. since then the car ride horrendously loud as speed increases accompanied by vibrations. i want to know how do you correctly fix an unbalanced driveshaft?
Old 11-16-10, 07:51 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wald.sc400
l... driver side front tire came off. since then the car ride horrendously loud as speed increases accompanied by vibrations. i want to know how do you correctly fix an unbalanced driveshaft?
Sounds like you killed the front hub bearing !
Old 11-16-10, 07:57 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Man, so many terms... Can someone please post where they got this Daizen steering bushing... (????) Ive been reading several threads and its all really confusing cause of all the different parts that could be causing the shaking/vibration. I dont know anything about suspension

Car just recently started to shake violently when going over 45. My car is a 98 GS400 with almost 75k miles dropped on kyb-gr2/tanabe df210 with 19" wheels and all Ive done so far is change out the lower ball joints. Im going to go get a balance done tomorrow to see if that will fix it.
Old 11-16-10, 09:36 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BossGS4
Sounds like you killed the front hub bearing !
Yeah you should definitely check your bearings.
Old 11-16-10, 10:02 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Have you changed the Lower Control Arm #2? The bushings on those always goes out.
Old 11-16-10, 10:24 PM
Mr Soarer
Pole Position

I just purchased a 99 GS300 and it seems like i have the same problem but at 65+. the heavy vibration seems to be coming from the middle of the car. im leaning more towards the driveshaft.it can also be the driveshaft center support bearing. Im going to check it out as soon as i get it register.

Last edited by Mr Soarer; 11-16-10 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply: My whole car is shaking after 40 mph, ive tried everything..