Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
Old 12-16-14, 11:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

IS250 rear brake replacement (GREAT DIY with lots of PICS!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 10:59 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your sliding pin was jammed up, would your ebrake still work?

My old car had the rear calipers freeze up all the time, but I also didnt have an ebrake
hooked up to them to exercise them. I heard that you're supposed to use the ebrake often to keep things working, not sure how true it is though.
Old 07-29-11, 07:11 AM
moses0324
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr527
I had the same problem with the seized pins on the rear calipers and ended up replacing them with new OEM ones that were about $200 each. I kept the old ones and will use them as my core when I have to replace them the next time. I'll probably go with remanufactured ones next time.

One other thing, if you're just replacing your brake pads, there's no need to have to remove the caliper. You can just remove those springs, pull the 2 pins out and the old pads will slide right out.
i found out you will still have a problem with getting the new pads in. the caliper has compressed because your old pads have worn so getting new much thicker ones is impossible without taking it off.
Old 09-27-11, 02:31 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont you guys just compress ur callipers before taking out the old pad with a c clamp just like the front brake diy....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...g-caliper.html
Old 09-27-11, 11:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by allst4r
dont you guys just compress ur callipers before taking out the old pad with a c clamp just like the front brake diy....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...g-caliper.html
Yeah, I do, but I have to use a dead brake pad for the Brembo calipers on the F. Six pistons would need too many C clamps.
Old 10-12-11, 07:32 PM
Cesar1047
Driver School Candidate

Default is250 rear brake pad change

I too have experienced difficulty in reinstalling the rear outer pads on my wife's is250.
I have found that by using penetrating oil on the lower "pin"- the one the entire caliper will (should) rotate on, allowed me to wiggle the caliper off. That's why the outer worn pad will likely be much thinner than the inner. The design is supposed to allow the caliper to float on those large guide pins. The upper guide has a hex head and the lower guide does not. When I finally removed the first caliper, it all began to make sense. I got everything cleaned and lightly greased the lower mount pin and the upper mount pin/bolt. I now had the needed clearance to install the outer pad!
Hope this helps.......
Old 10-15-11, 12:33 AM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cesar1047
I too have experienced difficulty in reinstalling the rear outer pads on my wife's is250.
I have found that by using penetrating oil on the lower "pin"- the one the entire caliper will (should) rotate on, allowed me to wiggle the caliper off. That's why the outer worn pad will likely be much thinner than the inner. The design is supposed to allow the caliper to float on those large guide pins. The upper guide has a hex head and the lower guide does not. When I finally removed the first caliper, it all began to make sense. I got everything cleaned and lightly greased the lower mount pin and the upper mount pin/bolt. I now had the needed clearance to install the outer pad!
Hope this helps.......
What specific type of oil (brand name) do you use? do you have a pic of the pin you are referring to? I'm going to do my brakes this weekend so would be good to know this info.
Old 10-15-11, 06:22 AM
birador
Lead Lap

thanks for the very detailed(no tricks) DIY! +1 for your hardwork
Old 10-30-11, 12:38 AM
Cesar1047
Driver School Candidate

Hey, any type of penetrating oil will work. BE VERY careful not to contaminate the rotors or the new pads upon reassembly. wipe/spray rotors with brakecleaning spray before caliper reassembly.
Cesar@623.225.9817
Old 10-30-11, 12:41 AM
Cesar1047
Driver School Candidate

thanks birador. just paying it forward..
Old 11-01-11, 07:21 PM
discobolus
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake pads _ RECOMMENDATION

I bought the Akebono pads and Centric premium rotors from Tire Rack and they are fantastic. They come assembled with the shims, so NO cleaning the old ones and then hassling with which one goes where and which way. They also come with a foil pack of grease! They DON'T squeek, and there is NO DUST....the fronts look AND STAY just as clean as the rears!!!
And BTW, thanks for the write up.
(Also worth noting: while setting the brake pads I did reach the point of mild fade after repeated full pedal stops from 60 to 5mph, but the stopping power is excellent for normal driving. (I was a little concerned about their 2 "dot" rating on stopping power, and I would agree for track use they are not suitable, but for normal street driving they are fine. This is my wife's car, and I wouldn't use anything that I didn't consider very SAFE. (but I did just increase her life insurance) jk
Old 11-11-11, 06:48 AM
pech37
Driver School Candidate

Is there a link to where I can find the pics? They're not loading properly. Or is it just me..

I am having trouble getting the slider pins out so I can remove the brake pads, and was hoping I could maybe see what people are doing differently, so that I can learn.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-11, 02:33 AM
CleanIS
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know if there's a recall on the rear caliper pin? Or anyway to remove the pin and grease it cause I've install new rear pads on and the driverside pad was to tight cause the pin would not move freely.
Old 12-02-11, 01:04 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a recall for us Canadian owners and I think it was also a TSIB,...if you're still in warranty check your dealer.
Old 02-16-12, 11:29 AM
little2576
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which diy should i follow in terms of the 3gs is it the IS250 or IS350 diy ?
Old 02-20-12, 10:03 AM
Matap
Driver School Candidate

subbed for a good write-up and to avoid getting ripped a new one at the stealership.

Quick Reply: IS250 rear brake replacement (GREAT DIY with lots of PICS!)