Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

which coil overs

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 06:24 PM
uaaction
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which coil overs

hey everyone i wann get coil overs but idk what coil over ride the best on the is350 can anyone tell me which once ride the best i dont care about price just want realgl good once ty
Old 07-12-09, 06:28 PM
dangy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really dont care about the price then go str8 for JIC's
Old 07-12-09, 06:28 PM
SoCal35
Lexus Test Driver

Megan...

They ride awesome
Old 07-12-09, 06:29 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, Megans! All the drop you need and comfort
Old 07-12-09, 07:56 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

KWs are now available for the 2IS, And the price is cheaper then JICS.
Old 07-12-09, 09:45 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

I'm getting JICS. I got a good price on it though. Or go megan.
Old 07-12-09, 09:58 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

I'd go with; JICs, TEINs, Tanabe, Megans, etc. You really can't go wrong with either one. Good luck.
Old 07-12-09, 10:19 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Initial G
I'd go with; JICs, TEINs, Tanabe, Megans, etc. You really can't go wrong with either one. Good luck.
^^mos def.
Old 07-12-09, 10:22 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

JICs or HKS hipermax IIIs would top the list of coilovers. they're also pricey, but they also two of the best.

BC racing are also well-engineered and feature-rich, but aren't as expensive. PM Circuit MS for more information.

megans are also good at their price point and popular as well.

tanabe sustec 5's and tein cs/ss's can be outfitted with electronic dampening adjustment systems (sold separately) if you need to adjust dampening on the fly.

there are also a few other brands out there with similar (if not the same) design philosophy and functions/capabilities.
Old 07-12-09, 11:06 PM
edwin907
Driver

I see that the KW VIII Coilovers for the Lexus IS350 are going to be available.

I had a set of European spec ones on my 03 VR6 GTI and they were very good coilovers. The external independently adjustable compression and rebound damping was nice, not really needed for the street however. I modified the rear of the VW so that you could quickly adjust the rebound on the rear, but rarely used it. Adjusting the compression was a pain in the rear 'cause you had to get down on your hands and knees with a custom shortened hex wrench but at least you could do it. I ran a set of BBS LMs on that black GTI with PS2 tires, and gave the coilovers a good workout.

I'm sure they would be an excellent choice. The only negative thing to say was that even though you had separate rebound/compression settings, "Compression dampening adjustment is conducted in the low-speed range, while the high-speed set-up, so decisive for driving comfort, has been pre-set by KW engineers".

I would consider them most likely equivalent in performance/quality to the JICs I put on the IS350. If I had a choice between the two, I'd probably stick with the JICs. I got my JICs in a group buy on another forum From Swift Racing for $1500 (March '07).
Old 07-12-09, 11:22 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

get buddy club coilovers. similar in ride and quality to HKS and JIC and priced closer to megan then the other two.
Old 07-12-09, 11:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,996 Likes on 2,420 Posts

You never mentioned what you expect these units to do. Why do you want coilovers? Answering this question will give clear guidance what truly will be "best" for you.

In my world, a set of custom engineered Penske or Bilstein shocks would be ideal. But you may very well not care much at all about what those dampers do and really only be concerned about making your car "look good" with small wheel gaps and skinny tires on wide rims pushed out to impractical limits because it's what's in fashion these days.

What are you really trying to achieve?
Old 07-13-09, 12:31 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldnt be happier with my BC racing coilovers. for the price is hard to beat them. there are some other higher end coilovers that are more concerned with comfort
Old 07-13-09, 07:43 AM
uaaction
Lead Lap

ty for replies i live in NYC so the roads are whack and i am going with 19inches all around rims but i might go 19 front and 20 in the rear and i just want a good coilovers to handle new york streets and have a great drop on them 19 and probably 20 in the back i want comfort, better handling, and just enjoy the ride.. ty
Old 07-13-09, 10:00 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,996 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Originally Posted by uaaction
ty for replies i live in NYC so the roads are whack and i am going with 19inches all around rims but i might go 19 front and 20 in the rear and i just want a good coilovers to handle new york streets and have a great drop on them 19 and probably 20 in the back i want comfort, better handling, and just enjoy the ride.. ty
You can pretty much choose any of the inexpensive and popular units and you'll likely be happy. The advice you've received so far is pretty much on the mark. Choose any of them, they'll all do what you need.

Quick Reply: which coil overs