Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LCA/UCA Rebuild or Replacement 92 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 12:02 PM
jer_con
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LCA/UCA Rebuild or Replacement 92 SC400

I'm not very savvy with suspension so I'm looking for some experienced opinions.

This is a 92 SC400 and I have a complete Shop Manual for it. Recently the Driver Side LCA bushing has finally collapsed and it will no longer hold a front alignment adjustment. Almost all of the bushings are factory except the Sway Bar Bushings which were replaced with Polyurethanes about a year ago (I hate them). I've also had the stock Shocks/Struts replaced with KYB GR2's all the way around. Tires and Rims are 16". Tires are Yokohama AVID and the rims are aftermarket.

I'm not looking for any performance upgrades; it's just my daily driver. At the moment the car rides like poo; the polyurethane bushings squeak like crazy and it has a nasty little vibration betweek 60Mph - 75Mph on the Freeway. I could easily just replace the bad LCA bushing but that would likely invite a host of ongoing problems so I think its time just to replace all the bushings front and back. All this being said I'm wondering what the prefferred approach would be?

Should I pull the Arms and replace the bushings? I'll go with rubber for sure

Would it be better to look for salvage replacement arms? I'm a little confused on how the A-Arm Ball Joints are contructed and if they can be replaced/re-greased/tightened etc....

Kits available?

Thanks for any information
Old 07-15-09, 12:39 PM
RANDY P
Driver

If the Lower ball joints don't check out, get new LCA's for a Supra. You cannot replace the ball joints only. If you need to go this route, it will hurt, get your Visa ready. Hopefully your Ball joints are OK.

You can get replacement bushings for the A-Arm, I forgot who makes 'em but they are out there

You are correct, Poly is garbage for a street car. I hate 'em too.

rjp
Old 07-15-09, 01:22 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get LCA from Carson Toyota, talk to Steve Ganz, he'll hook you up.
Old 07-15-09, 02:15 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get some Supra CA's. Call it a day
Old 07-15-09, 09:50 PM
jer_con
Rookie

Does anyone have the part numbers for the Supra Replacements? I know there's an old thread that has them on here but I can't find it.
Old 07-15-09, 10:08 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I just replaced all of my bushings underneath my car with poly from TM Engineering in December, and absolutely love them. If your balljoints are bad, then replace the control arms with supra's, if not take the time and replace the bushings. JMO. Keep us posted and let us know what you decide. I also went with Tokico struts and new mounts at the same time. I am also rolling on Khumo Ecsta 275/35/19's on rear and 255/35/19 on front. So far no issues on alignment.
Old 07-20-09, 10:02 AM
jer_con
Rookie

I'm looking up the part numbers for LCA/UCA from here:

http://www.*******.com/

Thought it might be useful information to pass along. I'll keep you all posted

try that again:

www/*******/com
Old 08-06-09, 09:43 AM
jer_con
Rookie

So I broke down and ordered the Vlamos Bushings today. I'm doing this on a budget one step at a time. Today I ordered the Sway Bar & Steering Rack bushings to start with because my steering has gotten so bad it actually feels like the steering wheel is loose when I hit bumps. I will probably break down and go with the Supra LCA's but it depends on my budget of course.
Old 08-06-09, 10:59 PM
RjBLayz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jer_con
So I broke down and ordered the Vlamos Bushings today. I'm doing this on a budget one step at a time. Today I ordered the Sway Bar & Steering Rack bushings to start with because my steering has gotten so bad it actually feels like the steering wheel is loose when I hit bumps. I will probably break down and go with the Supra LCA's but it depends on my budget of course.
Let us know how the vlamos bushings go!
Old 08-27-09, 03:34 PM
jer_con
Rookie

Default Bushing Install

Just got my SC back from the shop today. Installed were 2ea new Steering Rack Bushings + Front/Rear Sway Bar Bushings all Vlamos:

OUTSTANDING!!!

My SC has never handled this good. It's actually fun to drive again. The Vlamos Swar Bar bushes are dead silent and there is almost no dip, dive or anything in a corner. The handling is nice and tight again even with a few other suspension issues. Andrew Vlamos is great guy too, very helpful, professional and courteous. Got my order right the first time with no problems and shipping from Austrailia only took a few days by Air Mail.

So moving foward, further inspection has revealed that the Ball Joints on both Front LCA's are in fact bad so the arms will have to replaced completley. Plan is:

2ea new Front Supra LCA's
Vlamos bushings all the way around for Front/Rear LCA/UCA!

Let the fun begin....woohoo!
Old 08-30-09, 01:02 AM
Son Gokou
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

I had Vlamos Bushings fitted to the 5 years ago and they done last long!

Now i have BranZ front lower control bushes fitted and now no more squeeks, tram tracking, bump steer, overall is very smooth!

Also the BranZ bushes come with 5 years / 50,000km warranty too!

http://www.soarerparts.com/
Old 08-31-09, 05:31 PM
jdm93400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well someone told me that . the poly bushings are off the hook for the lca