Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My rim wiggles...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-09, 03:25 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its just outer thah have the issues then maybe ill just do the outter
Old 07-18-09, 03:38 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam2562
if its just outer thah have the issues then maybe ill just do the outter
Well remember its our lower ball joints that are notorious for going out. I would presume that the other joints as these are gonna be more of a problem to those with air ride since we go up and down all day long with more stress than usual. Now not saying dont change them, however I think its safe to suggest that the lower ball joints in any application would be ahead in priorities of joint replacement, I mean we have a "sticky" for lower ball joints right

I say lift your car and inspect them all and see what needs to be changed, the joints should be pretty much solid with no play. Go through yours and check each one, one by one while someone moves the rim up and down left and right and see if they are loose. Its the ball joints that are the ones that are gonna do this:

Tie rods are gonna kill your steering, but at least you can still safely stop your car and save your car!
Old 07-18-09, 03:40 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

yea i've already change the ball joints and upper and lower arms..
Old 07-18-09, 03:42 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Adam2562
yea i've already change the ball joints and upper and lower arms..
awesome! then you're ahead of the game... but for the price of the tie rods, might as well change the hole thing as to not have to pay for alignment twice in the future.. I mean you're already down there right? :P After I changed the inner one, thats when I saw that the outer was on the verge. Since you're there already ya know...
Old 07-18-09, 10:08 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Theres no right way of checking for lower ball joint.. Just visually check it foe leaks or busted rubber or play on the joint itself... Shaking left right checks for tie rods up down checks for wheel bearing, that's wat I've learned in school... GL guys
Old 07-18-09, 10:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

just based off this so if the cover on the joint, (outer tie-rods) is gone/busted then its safe to assume the joint is bad?

im not getting much play at all but my LS is "clicking" at certain points during the steering, and looked it over and saw tie rod end on the passenger side was leaking.
Old 07-18-09, 11:35 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS300ToM
Just visually check it foe leaks or busted rubber or play on the joint itself... Shaking left right checks for tie rods up down checks for wheel bearing, that's wat I've learned in school... GL guys
Um isnt that pretty much what I said?

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
just based off this so if the cover on the joint, (outer tie-rods) is gone/busted then its safe to assume the joint is bad?

im not getting much play at all but my LS is "clicking" at certain points during the steering, and looked it over and saw tie rod end on the passenger side was leaking.
No. cover doesnt mean its bad, hoever it will alow dirt and stuff to get in and cause other problems. The clicking you her could be your bearing.
Old 07-19-09, 12:21 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

lol i didnt read the whole thing haha i was on my itouch.. shhhit is hella slow at loading so i just replied to what i read from start haha
Old 07-21-09, 01:16 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

bearing? i've never heard of a wheel bearing clickking when i move the steering wheel with the car stopped
Old 07-21-09, 06:19 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

bearing? i've never heard of a wheel bearing clickking when i move the steering wheel with the car stopped
well all you said was "during steering" so I presumed steering while driving... so yea, in that case no you wouldnt get clicking [from the beraring] while not driving
Old 07-21-09, 06:41 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

hahah, sorry for the hijack, i'm ordering LBJs and tie-rod ends, i think that should solve it.
Old 07-21-09, 07:56 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

hahah, sorry for the hijack, i'm ordering LBJs and tie-rod ends, i think that should solve it.
good lucks...
Old 07-24-09, 09:22 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Oh gosh!!! I'm not sure I want to say what the problem was

the lug nuts were loose!!
Old 07-24-09, 10:02 AM
bpc23
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I noticed after I tightened the nuts that the rim was still loose
Well, I jacked the car up and wiggled the rim around. I saw that the tie rod (as presumed) was moving in and out, but I couldnt put my eye on exactly what was moving... I shook things around again opened my eyes
the little trip to and from my buddies shop contributed to the wiggle and got real bad
the lug nuts were loose!!
You're kidding right, Mr. Jokster? Loose lug nuts? Make sure you have a friend with good mechanical knowledge check over your work.
Old 07-24-09, 11:05 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bpc23
You're kidding right, Mr. Jokster? Loose lug nuts? Make sure you have a friend with good mechanical knowledge check over your work.
with knowledge like myself... It was a stupid mistake on my part when I put the rim back on BEFORE I changed the tie rod. I put the rim back on (not using torque wrench) then went to change the tie rod. The mistake was ASSUMING that the new problem was significant to what was replaced... The original wiggle WAS the over worn tie rod. Its hard to explain and the more I type the more it will look like what it isnt... All in all, tie rod was bad (as stated when I first checked and said I "opened my eyes") loose lug nuts happened when I removed the rim to make the initial check at home without lift. In other words the the wiggle was there before the lug nuts were loosened. (im repeating myself here )

How did I know it was loose lug nuts THIS time? Well still trying to figure out what was causing the new wiggle, this morning I was going to rotate the rims just in case the tire may have gotten worn from the bad tie rod just enough to throw the tire out of balance (from sectioned wear from the wiggle) when I jacked the car up I noticed the rim was wiggling again... I was like c'mon, did something else go bad? Thats when I decided to check the torque on the nuts... Now dont get me wrong the werent loose to hell, they were just loose enough to make the rim wiggle. car drives fine now.

(still gonna do what can in a over haul with all the joints as stated above)

BTW, check link in my signature. My knowledge on mechanics is far from noob