Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F-Sport Sway Bars - Got Them - Here's My Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 11:33 PM
saiyajin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by someboy
got some pictures of how they look on your car? post some pixx plzz!!
heres the rear sway on my car

Old 11-14-09, 07:15 PM
bobbo1978
Rookie

Seems to be some misinformation here. The purpose of anti-roll bar is to reduce the body roll of the vehicle, ie the lean of the body during turns. The bar act as counter force to the shift in weight. It should not affect the ride quality like some had concern over.

I am not sure the effect of stiffening just the rear bar. The result may be increased oversteer which to some are more fun and exciting but I would do both and front at the same time. Also beware that due to less body roll the there's less warning on the limitation of the vehicle. The effect may be drastic when the traction breaks just prepare to catch it when it happens.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm

Last edited by bobbo1978; 11-14-09 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-16-09, 08:08 PM
fbarbarosa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bobbo1978
Seems to be some misinformation here. The purpose of anti-roll bar is to reduce the body roll of the vehicle, ie the lean of the body during turns. ... It should not affect the ride quality...
My wife allows me to drive her '09 250 RWD from time to time--she wanted to reduce high speed lean but gave me a clear instruction to do nothing that would make the ride less comfortable. So believing that the F-Sport bars would not add to stiffness, at least in straight ahead driving, I ordered a set on EBay.

A few days ago I installed just the rear F-Sport bar. After a few miles on a variety of roads the consensus is that the handling is perceptibly better, but that bumps are now felt more strongly in the seat bottom. The steering seemed neutral to me, but the car wasn't driven to the limit.

Today I installed the front bar and the ride definitely seems stiffer. Aside from a moment of surprise when a beeper sounded during some hard turns (apparently the low fuel warning) the handling remains very good. On a local road where I used to exercise my Porsche, with many challenging 35 to 55 mph turns, the car was rock solid. After years of having front wheel drive cars it is a pleasure to be in rear drive with fairly neutral handling. These bars seem worth it.

So why does the ride feel stiffer. My guess is that on the '09s at least some of it comes from the change in the bushings. The stock rear bushings on the '09 are glued into aluminum brackets and have a slick fibrous bearing surface around the bar. The F-Sport looks conventional. The other factor is the side to side impact transfer on uneven bumps is more noticeable.

Of course it could be just that we have to feel something when we add something new. Perhaps someone can paint the ends of stock bars blue and report on the improvements.

Last edited by fbarbarosa; 11-17-09 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-17-09, 04:17 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

^^^^No, IMHO, you're right. I put the rear bar only on my F, and it did slightly stiffen up the ride. I left the front bar alone, because, on the F, the front bar is the same size as the ISX50 RWD F-Sport front bar. BTW, I sold my stock rear bar to an IS350 RWD owner, and he report back that it did improve his handling.

Lou
Old 11-17-09, 04:46 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought putting on just a rear bar would create more understeer as your rear wheels have even more traction now compared to the front?
Old 11-17-09, 05:48 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHarris
I thought putting on just a rear bar would create more understeer as your rear wheels have even more traction now compared to the front?
You have it exactly backward. Stiffer rear bar= more oversteer.

however, since the car already under steers BADLY from the factory a stiffer rear is exactly what it needs.

As to ride quality the simple explaination is any sway bar makes the independent suspension less independent. Stiffer the bar the more that is true.

As Wiki explains it:

Because an anti-roll bar connects wheels on the opposite sides of the vehicle together, the bar will transmit the force of one-wheel bumps to the opposite wheel. On rough or broken pavement, anti-roll bars can produce jarring, side-to-side body motions (a "waddling" sensation), which increase in severity with the diameter and stiffness of the sway bars.
That said... even the F-sport bars aren't terribly extreme and in general I'd say their improvement of body roll is very large and their decline of ride quality is extremely small.
Old 11-17-09, 07:06 AM
kdii02
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did just the rear sway on mine. I did notice a nice improvement in handling, but I haven't noticed a stiffer ride because of it. Definitely worth it to me.
Old 11-19-09, 08:49 PM
Lex Smith
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up For anyone thinking about f-sport sway bars -- do it

I installed front and rear f-sport sway bars along with the rear brace on my 08 IS 350. Imagine tying a rope to the top of the car and then slinging it around. The only thing I noticed......curves.... you feel more of the road in the seat of your pants.
Old 11-19-09, 10:38 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

i think i am gonna remove my rear sway bar.. I have the f-sport and just makes me oversteer too much.. what i need is a killer stiff front sway bar. WHO MAKES ONE...
Old 11-20-09, 06:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrisburke
i think i am gonna remove my rear sway bar.. I have the f-sport and just makes me oversteer too much.. what i need is a killer stiff front sway bar. WHO MAKES ONE...
The hotckis swaybar set has the same size rear bar as F-sport, but a larger front bar.

This is undesireable for a 350, since it'll cause more understeer than the pure F-sport setup (which on a 350 is either slight understeer, or neutral) but it might work for your IS-F.
Old 11-20-09, 01:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lex Smith
I installed front and rear f-sport sway bars along with the rear brace on my 08 IS 350. Imagine tying a rope to the top of the car and then slinging it around. The only thing I noticed......curves.... you feel more of the road in the seat of your pants.
Uhh, wow, not sure what to think.
Old 12-09-09, 02:17 PM
cjlazar84
Pole Position

Trying to find and purchase just the front FSPORT sway bar. I can only find either the rear or the set.

Any ideas?

Lexus said they wanted 495.00 USD for the front..... Can this be true?

Lazar
Old 12-09-09, 05:00 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cjlazar84
Trying to find and purchase just the front FSPORT sway bar. I can only find either the rear or the set.

Any ideas?

Lexus said they wanted 495.00 USD for the front..... Can this be true?

Lazar
Why in the world would you want only the front bar? You want it to understeer even worse than it does stock?
Old 12-09-09, 05:22 PM
cjlazar84
Pole Position

From what i read. I am good to get the front because i have the IS250. What do you think?
Old 12-10-09, 05:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cjlazar84
From what i read. I am good to get the front because i have the IS250. What do you think?
Huh?

I'm not sure what you read, but I don't think you read it correctly.

A 250 should get both bars.

A 350 can get away with just the rear bar. (though running both remains ideal, a 350 will get most of the benefit with just a rear)

I can't think of any circumstance where it'd make sense to get just the front bar.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Sway Bars - Got Them - Here's My Opinion