Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F-Sport Sway Bars - Got Them - Here's My Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-09, 11:57 AM
is350wh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-Sport Sway Bars - Got Them - Here's My Opinion

Just got the front and rear F-Sport Sway Bars installed ("2009MY").

I haven't driven on the freeway yet, so I'll have to post a follow up review.

Driving straight on normal roads and highways up to 50 or so MPH. I can't really tell that there is much of a difference so far. That's good.

Lane changes up to 50 or so. Feels better and a little more direct. I turn the wheel and the car feels flatter and more willing to move right on over to the next lane. Not a big difference, but seems like an improvement.

Performance in turns. MUCH MUCH better. This feels much more similar to a BMW than without the sways.

Performance in turns on uneven roads. Again, much better. The car does wobble all over the place any more. It's more composed. Then again, your body absords some of what used to get absorbed by the suspension and body roll.

Comfort. Overall, this definitely feels like a stiffer suspension. There is a noticeable difference over uneven surfaces and in turns. It's VERY good for performance (so far), but some of the soothing Lexus ride is missing.

I really do think that the car's reduced ability to let each wheel travel up and down independently has reduced ride comfort significantly when driving over uneven road surfaces. E.g., Instead of the car staying generally flat when a wheel passes over a bump, I feel like the wheel hits the bump and the whole car has to deal with it.

So far, the car's ride is still much better than my previous 2005 G35s with the sport suspensions. (One had 17"s, one had 18"s)

I like the sway bars a lot so far. I do think they'll take some getting used to, though. Would I do it again: So far, yes.
Old 07-17-09, 12:05 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Wow dude, funny how all your threads/reviews start the same way: F-Sport [ blank ] - Got Them - heere's My Opinion...

Good stuff though, good for peoples future research - that and I agree with everything you stated regarding he sways... I personally love em
Old 07-17-09, 02:08 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Seriously any suspension upgrade is a good upgrade especially sway bars. Good job and watch those sharp turns
Old 07-17-09, 02:52 PM
is350wh
Driver

Ya, I was hoping that giving my review titles the same format and key words would make it easier for future searches. I hope it helps someone make the best possible decision. I know the CL posts were very helpful to me in fixing my steering problem and making the decisions to upgrade.

God Bless
Old 07-18-09, 08:54 AM
is350wh
Driver

Follow up.

The sway bars are excellent. To be honest, something in between the stock and F-Sports (but closer to the Fs) should have been on this car all along. I can see now that there was no excuse for the excessive stock body lean.

Quick story. I called my uncle to tell him about my sway bar purchase. He's been a mechanic and hot rod fanatic for 30+ years. He pretty much thought the sway bars were a mistake and were likely to ruin the Lexus ride. I see why he thought that, but the actual results are positive.

The handling is much better. Lane changes on the freeway are stable now. Very nice.
Old 07-18-09, 10:54 AM
Pmach
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would pretty much have to agree with your thoughts. It honestly feels like a totally different vehicle in terms of handling especially coupled with the F-Sport springs like I have.
Old 07-18-09, 11:18 AM
edwin907
Driver

I've got the F-Sport Swaybars and the JIC Coilovers and the handling is superb.
On the way home today, I went a different route 'cause I had to go by the shooting range to pay my membership, and I took a highway entrance ramp that is famous for wrecks since it's a decreasing radius 270 degree turn. I actually had to double back and go around it again because the PS2s didn't protest at all at a 55mph constant speed (road sign 25mph maximum), and they didn't at 75mph either! A friend's '08 M3 doesn't do as well even though he is running wider PS2s than I am.
Old 07-18-09, 03:11 PM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Great review, now I can't wait for mine to come in.
Old 07-18-09, 04:37 PM
is350wh
Driver

Pmach: Are you using the stock shocks? I am thinking about getting the springs. I'm concerned about the stock shocks being too floaty (or some other downside), so I'm thinking about adding the Bilsteins at the same time.

edwin907: Regarding going back for more. >>> That's twisted. Sounds like something I would do. Ha! <<<
Old 07-18-09, 05:59 PM
Pmach
Rookie

Originally Posted by is350wh
Pmach: Are you using the stock shocks? I am thinking about getting the springs. I'm concerned about the stock shocks being too floaty (or some other downside), so I'm thinking about adding the Bilsteins at the same time.
Yes I am running the stock shocks and I can definitely say it is NOT floaty. I would probably even say the ride is firm with them. I've only been running this setup for a few days now and I know the springs take time to settle which I assume may also affect the ride as well. Will provide updates as time goes but I couldn't be happier with the sway bar and spring setup.
Old 07-18-09, 06:29 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmach
Yes I am running the stock shocks and I can definitely say it is NOT floaty. I would probably even say the ride is firm with them. I've only been running this setup for a few days now and I know the springs take time to settle which I assume may also affect the ride as well. Will provide updates as time goes but I couldn't be happier with the sway bar and spring setup.
Springs don't settle- the bushings should have been reset to neutral when the springs were installed, otherwise they will degrade, which people mistake for the springs "settling"
Old 07-18-09, 08:01 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

edwin907: Regarding going back for more. >>> That's twisted. Sounds like something I would do. Ha! <<<
I would HIGHLY recommend NOT getting the F-Sport Springs/Shocks! Go with a decent set of coilovers instead.

You can adjust the dampening and have precise ride height... I had the F-Springs and they were hideous! The front gap was about 2 inches, while the rear was about 1/2 inch. They were horribly uneven and disturbing to the eye.
Old 07-18-09, 08:15 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

man... now i have to get me some f-sport sway bars ... man that mod bug is one tough sucker to get rid of! I love it, but my poor wallet. Dont know how much more hits it can take =(
Old 07-19-09, 09:10 PM
is350wh
Driver

Yeah, I have noticed that the F-Sports don't drop the front enough, relative to the rear. I am concerned about that. At the same time, I can probably only afford a 1" drop in the front. I want more, but I go over several very large speed bumps going downhill on the way to work. I can see a lot of damage on those humps, so people are scraping them frequently.

I wouldn't say the sways are a "must have." There is a little hit to ride quality. Plus, they're not exactly cheap. They're worth it, but only if better handling is a priority. For me, handling was something of a priority, but mainly because I am a BMW fan. I love the BMW handling. (I hate the cheap 3-series interior; it just doesnt' feel like a luxury car.)
Old 07-23-09, 03:04 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

For me, handling was something of a priority, but mainly because I am a BMW fan. I love the BMW handling. (I hate the cheap 3-series interior; it just doesnt' feel like a luxury car.)
exactly...loved the drive feel of the bmw...HATED the crappy interior

Quick Reply: F-Sport Sway Bars - Got Them - Here's My Opinion