Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Anyone run stock brakes with slotted/drilled rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 09:20 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

The only aftermarket rotors I would use would be Centric branded powerslot. Crossdrilled AND slotted looks really cheap and gaudy.
Old 07-20-09, 12:29 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, he's asking if anybody runs stock brakes on slotted and drilled rotors, not what you think about them. theres so many threads about that. i don't have any yet, not sure i wanna spend the money, maybe once i need new pads but if so i would get these R1 rotors, they have pretty good reviews(the RSX ones anyway), and decent price. Somebody here had them on their IS 350 and was selling them in the classifieds, dunno why

http://store.r1concepts.com/store/se...&submit=Search

They don't look cheap, look well designed w/ some small sized, well placed holes, not just some 3-4 huge *** holes between each slot(which imo makes it look gawdy like someone pointed out). I'm pretty sure higher quality rotors that are drilled have holes are smaller, but more of them. not like those ebay ones. just take a look at the F-sport brake kit, see how many holes the rotor has?

Just my observation when looking at drilled/slotted rotors.. not a prof opinion
Old 07-20-09, 01:04 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Nice find xuning. Are those reputable rotors?
Old 07-20-09, 03:55 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Yes i am running power slotted rotors with red ebs pads stock calibers on my IS350..Only difference for me is just a better feel when braking..I maybe nutz but all stock kinda felt like there was a little W-D on the rotors compared to the new rotors & pads...Again i might be telling myself they are better kinda like CAI..can you really feel the power no not really but the added sound makes you think your faster..I had an intake on my Tundra 5.7..I swear the truck was faster with the stock intake..Y i won't put one on my IS..thats a whole other deal..

Old 07-20-09, 04:17 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking to do this too. I am curious why you upgraded your rotors and not paint/powdercoated your calipers? Would complete the look in my opinion.
Old 07-20-09, 04:38 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

ahhhh hahah gotz to love CL everyone gotz an opinion...Naahh it's cool well i was i need of rotors & pads anyway plus i plan on at least one track day a month...As for painting my rotors yup i have the paint just haven't had time to do it...Box says not to drive the car for 24 hours so i just havn't had 24 hours to give up...I will be painting blue them blue..Here is a preview

Yeah gotz to love photoshop
Old 07-20-09, 04:51 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoHoIS350
ahhhh hahah gotz to love CL everyone gotz an opinion...Naahh it's cool well i was i need of rotors & pads anyway plus i plan on at least one track day a month...As for painting my rotors yup i have the paint just haven't had time to do it...Box says not to drive the car for 24 hours so i just havn't had 24 hours to give up...I will be painting blue them blue..Here is a preview

Yeah gotz to love photoshop
looks good. I am looking to have the exact same setup. You buying the duplicolor caliper paint kit or using something else?
Old 07-20-09, 05:03 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF
looks good. I am looking to have the exact same setup. You buying the duplicolor caliper paint kit or using something else?
Umm can't remember which one i bought..Bought the paint like almost 2 months ago, just put the rims on last week..I kinda wanted to do it all at the same time but since it's like 100 in Los Angeles right now & i don't have 24 hours to give up the calibers will just have to wait a bit..Ahh i tried to just look it up..But kinda think Duplicolor...

PS so where in L.I. are you my friend lives in Massapua & my uncle lives in Freeport...I grew up in Up-State Poughkeepsie area...
Old 07-20-09, 06:16 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xuningshen
hey guys, he's asking if anybody runs stock brakes on slotted and drilled rotors, not what you think about them. theres so many threads about that. i don't have any yet, not sure i wanna spend the money, maybe once i need new pads but if so i would get these R1 rotors, they have pretty good reviews(the RSX ones anyway), and decent price. Somebody here had them on their IS 350 and was selling them in the classifieds, dunno why

http://store.r1concepts.com/store/se...&submit=Search

They don't look cheap, look well designed w/ some small sized, well placed holes, not just some 3-4 huge *** holes between each slot(which imo makes it look gawdy like someone pointed out). I'm pretty sure higher quality rotors that are drilled have holes are smaller, but more of them. not like those ebay ones. just take a look at the F-sport brake kit, see how many holes the rotor has?

Just my observation when looking at drilled/slotted rotors.. not a prof opinion

+1 I have these Ill post pics later!!!!
Old 07-20-09, 06:17 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coconut
The only aftermarket rotors I would use would be Centric branded powerslot. Crossdrilled AND slotted looks really cheap and gaudy.
not if they're done correctly!
Old 07-20-09, 07:52 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

No one have drilled and slotted rotors?

I have the duplicolor kit in blue paint for sale. PM me if your interested..
Old 07-24-09, 11:08 PM
LuxuryMods
Former Sponsor

Hey guys, thought I'd chime in with some thoughts with rotors.

As mentioned earlier, drilled rotors are great for street driving. For track, use slotted. The combination of both visually looks nicer to some and is the most commonly ordered setup. However, it can be done drilled only or slotted only as well.

Also, as far as drilling is concerned. What you see pictured on our site is a standard design. Drilling smaller holes similar to big name kits are also available.

About the comment on cracking easier, that's true yes and no. With any new rotor installation, they normally require proper break-in to prevent premature warping. Easing on the brakes the first 10 seconds or so will let the pads remove the zinc coating from the face of the rotor. From there, 20-30 regular speed stops from 40-60mph to 20mph holding the brake for 3 seconds or so to put the rotor through some heat cycles. By doing this after new rotors/pads are installed will extend the life of your setup. It will also remove any brake pedal vibration you may feel from improper break-in.

We've have some customers order new rotor/pad setups and take it to the track right away and then complain about cracking/warping. I wonder why...

We've used these OEM replacement rotors in all of our cars, with proper break-in they will last a long time.

Centric branded rotors are also offered, cost is about $100 more compared to the standard advertised pricing. These also come with black powdercoated hats instead of the full zinc coating on the regular sets.

There's many options when purchasing these CNC drilled rotors, please PM me for custom tailored orders to your liking. I'll try to answer any questions I can or find out answers to those questions I cannot answer.

Tony
Old 07-24-09, 11:16 PM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

i had crossed drilled and slotted rotors from disk italia, very good rotors , i had them with oem pads and they stopped on the dime..
Old 07-24-09, 11:26 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Good information Luxury.

Bad, how much did they cost?
Old 07-24-09, 11:37 PM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

front and rear i belive it was around $400.00 more or less.

Quick Reply: Anyone run stock brakes with slotted/drilled rotors?