Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake upgrade for 2006 is 250 awd

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-09, 02:15 PM
LexEZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake upgrade for 2006 is 250 awd

Greetings and thanks in advance -

I'm looking to upgrade my breaks on my 06' Lexus IS 250 AWD - I'm not looking to go as high as Brembo but I'm looking for something that will be better in performance then the stocks and look better as well! I have some 20" Giovonna Essen's (Black w/Machined) and will need something better then what is currently on the Lex to help with stopping and apperance.

I'm looking for new Pads, Calipers, and Rotors... Recommendations please??

Many thanks to all that reply.
Old 07-24-09, 05:36 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexEZ
Greetings and thanks in advance -

I'm looking to upgrade my breaks on my 06' Lexus IS 250 AWD - I'm not looking to go as high as Brembo but I'm looking for something that will be better in performance then the stocks and look better as well! I have some 20" Giovonna Essen's (Black w/Machined) and will need something better then what is currently on the Lex to help with stopping and apperance.

I'm looking for new Pads, Calipers, and Rotors... Recommendations please??

Many thanks to all that reply.
Assuming your current brakes are capable of engaging ABS (and I'd expect they can) then bigger brakes won't change your stopping distance. At all.

The brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.
Old 07-24-09, 11:54 PM
brtnrdr1x
Pole Position

don't necessarily need a brake upgrade but i understand about looks and i guess a better performer (AFTERMARKET) brake system. there's tons of ways to go and i'm sure there will be a lot of recommendations..this could also be an expensive mod if it's just for looks you might want to look at paint lol but for better performance, there's many systems, names you'll see like stoptech, endless, project mu, brembo as u mentioned, rotora, f-sport, a decent upgrade for the money would be the IS350 brake upgrade from the 250, bigger calipers n rotors..do sum search GL!
Old 07-25-09, 05:20 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by brtnrdr1x
don't necessarily need a brake upgrade but i understand about looks and i guess a better performer (AFTERMARKET) brake system. there's tons of ways to go and i'm sure there will be a lot of recommendations..this could also be an expensive mod if it's just for looks you might want to look at paint lol but for better performance, there's many systems, names you'll see like stoptech, endless, project mu, brembo as u mentioned, rotora, f-sport, a decent upgrade for the money would be the IS350 brake upgrade from the 250, bigger calipers n rotors..do sum search GL!
And for regular street driving none of those will change braking performance in the slightest. If ABS already engages with the stock brakes (which it should) then you can drop $5000 into upgraded brakes and it'll still stop in -exactly- the same distance it did with stock brakes.

The brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.

And I kinda doubt he's beating on the brakes at the track with 20" rims.

I suggest anyone thinking brake "upgrades" do anything for performance read this:
http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/p...n/pfpage1.html

If you're not too familiar with brake technology it may take a couple readings to get it all, but it's excellently written by a world-renowned brake engineer and contains a wealth of information.

The most relevant bit to this topic is near the end-

You can take this one to the bank. Regardless of your huge rotor diameter, brake pedal ratio, magic brake pad material, or number of pistons in your calipers, your maximum deceleration is limited every time by the tire to road interface. That is the point of this whole article. Your brakes do not stop your car. Your tires stop the car. So while changes to different parts of the brake system may affect certain characteristics or traits of the system's behavior, using stickier tires is ultimately the only sure-fire method of decreasing stopping distances.
He then goes on to mention the things brake upgrades CAN change, but none of them are stopping distance and most won't matter for non-racers.

Last edited by Kurtz; 07-25-09 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-25-09, 10:47 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To be honest, people want BBK cuz of looks. I admit I do

And I think you beat the tires stop the car not the brakes point to death lol, don't you ever get tired of saying that kurtz? I would of just passed the duties to someone else lol
Old 07-25-09, 11:08 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a HUGE sale on f-sport brakes right now on sewellpartsonline.com. Coupon code is "thenewdeal". I think it's like 30 or 35 percent off ...
Old 07-25-09, 12:01 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikez
To be honest, people want BBK cuz of looks. I admit I do

And I think you beat the tires stop the car not the brakes point to death lol, don't you ever get tired of saying that kurtz? I would of just passed the duties to someone else lol
As I mentioned in the other thread I've no problem if a guy makes the choice to say he's gonna put a functionally inferior product on (like say drilled rotors) because it looks better (or sounds better in the case of the guys who spend full-exhaust prices on axle-backs). Their car, their money, no problem.

It's the folks that aren't aware of the trade-off they are making I attempt to inform.
Old 07-27-09, 07:48 AM
LexEZ
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know a good place to get IS 350 Calipers? Can I use IS 350 calipers with EBC rotors?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-27-09, 08:20 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

if ebc rotors are oem-sized, then i see why not.