Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I just got denied for the 08 Dust-Free brake pad TSIB

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 05:59 PM
rokezekiel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just got denied for the 08 Dust-Free brake pad TSIB

I just came back from stevens creek lexus service center and they just denied my request for the new brake pads. I printed out the TSIB and everything and I thought I should have no problem but they said that in order to do this your breaks have to be within a certain measurement. I looked at the TSIB and it said...

"This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for
48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date. "

I couldn't see anything about it having to be within a certain measurement. I'm at about 24,000 miles now. Has anyone else had this problem? and hopefully resolved??
Old 07-28-09, 07:18 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to a different dealership and try again.
Old 07-28-09, 07:37 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 258 Likes on 204 Posts

I'm suspect the dealer meant that your brake pads are worn to the point of needing replacement and that they should be replaced anyway. Brake pad replacement due to wear is at the owner's expense.

The TSIB is about excess brake dust -- not premature wear.

If you are going to have to replace the brake pads due to wear, then you might want to replace them with the new lower dust brake pads if the somewhat lower braking performance described in the TSIB is acceptable to you.

Did the dealer tell you how many millimeters of brake pad are left? I think they recommend pad replacement at 3 mm.

It's amazing how short the life is on the new high dust, high performance brake pads on the IS. I've been used to the front pads on my LS cars lasting more than 70,000 miles and the rear pads lasting more than 110,000 miles. Sounds like Lexus has recently gone with the the type of short life, high dust brake pads that I hated on the Mercedes cars I've owned. I got real good at replacing Mercedes brake pads myself every 25,000 miles -- would have spent a fortune if I had the dealer do it.

Last edited by Kansas; 07-29-09 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-28-09, 08:19 PM
tarponman
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer did that to me the first time I took it in, I called them back and told them that what they said was unacceptable and that I need the tsib done asap. I took the car back the next day and they replaced them.

Ohh well.
Old 07-28-09, 09:06 PM
rokezekiel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kansas
I'm suspect the dealer meant that your brake pads are worn to the point of needing replacement and that they should be replaced anyway. Brake pad replacement due to wear is at the owner's expense.

The TSIB is about excess brake dust -- not premature wear.
I went into the dealership complaining about the brake dust, not about pre-mature wear since I think Lexus does recommend a brake pad change around this time. I also thought lexus would give me a break since I came in in 2008 complaining about the brake dust but guess not...
Old 07-28-09, 09:36 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's bullfeces. I waited until my pads were toast, and then went in. They asked me several times if I wanted to change the brakes to the tsib for the low noise pads, and every time I told them that I would wait until they needed replacing, and they fully understood that and waited until 20k to change it. I could have probably got another 5k or even 10k, but the noise was bugging me.
Old 07-28-09, 09:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine done at 29K last week at Fremont Lexus on my '07. I was careful to let them know that my complaint was excess front brake dust.
Old 07-28-09, 09:56 PM
brtnrdr1x
Pole Position

i would say go to a different dealership..i had them replaced at 10k cause the noise n dust were annnoyingggg. make sure u say it is DUST N NOISE n not wear haha. but it is BS
Old 07-28-09, 10:19 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The brake dust and squeak noise are very annoying. Got my TSIB done a few weeks back in Lexus of Pleasanton on my newly purchased CPO 350 (purchased less than a month). I guess my brake pads are still like new being only had 12k on odometer so they replaced to the low dust brake pad and no question asked.
Old 07-28-09, 10:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mmmmmmm, I think I will continue to do business with Fremont Lexus, customer service in both Sales and Service areas has been excellent so far.
Old 07-29-09, 04:25 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are going to have to replace the brake pads due to wear, then you might want to replace them with the new lower dust brake pads if the somewhat lower braking performance described in the TSIB is acceptable to you.
FYI, the low-dust pads stop the car in -exactly- the same distance as the high-dust pads. Changing brake pads doesn't change stopping distance. Anyone who tells you differently is trying to sell you brake pads.
Old 07-29-09, 07:00 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
FYI, the low-dust pads stop the car in -exactly- the same distance as the high-dust pads. Changing brake pads doesn't change stopping distance. Anyone who tells you differently is trying to sell you brake pads.
Actually, TSIB L-SB-0121-08 says that when using the replacement lower dust brake pads:

"braking performance and feeling may be altered and could possibly be reduced under certain driving conditions".

By the way, different brake pad compositions can dramatically affect stopping distances and brake rotor life.

Last edited by Kansas; 07-29-09 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-29-09, 07:05 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Actually, TSIB L-SB-0121-08 says that when using the replacement lower dust brake pads:

"braking performance and feeling may be altered and could possibly be reduced under certain driving conditions".
READ - HPDE conditions. Not on the street and anything short of idiotic.
Old 07-29-09, 08:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

By the way, different brake pad compositions can dramatically affect stopping distances
Actually, no, they really can't.

they can affect brake _fade_ which you won't ever see in normal street driving.

But stopping distance (ie the shortest distance the car can make a single stop from normal highway speed in) has -nothing- to do with the brake pads.

The formula to compute stopping distance doesn't even ask about your pads. It only really cares about your speed and the friction between the road and the tires (and possibly the grade of the road if not flat)

because the brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.

If you don't believe me, how about Brembo?

At the speeds that stopping distance is generally measured from (60 to 70mph), the test is primarily testing the tire's grip on the pavement. As delivered from the manufacturer, nearly all vehicles are able to engage the ABS or lock the wheels at these speeds. Therefore, an increase in braking power will do nothing to stop the vehicle in a shorter distance.
Don't believe Brembo? How about a well renowned brake engineer?

Ths part might surprise some and offend others, but it is a big misconception that changing brake pad material will magically decrease your stopping distances. In fact, you may have even seen published "data" which attempts to correlate stopping distance to friction coefficient. Although it may appear that there is a relationship between the two, there really isn't, and here's why.
(he then goes into a longer explanation of why that you can read here):
http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/p...n/pfpage3.html

But his conclusion is the important part-

You can take this one to the bank. Regardless of your huge rotor diameter, brake pedal ratio, magic brake pad material, or number of pistons in your calipers, your maximum deceleration is limited every time by the tire to road interface. That is the point of this whole article. Your brakes do not stop your car. Your tires stop the car. So while changes to different parts of the brake system may affect certain characteristics or traits of the system's behavior, using stickier tires is ultimately the only sure-fire method of decreasing stopping distances.

Last edited by Kurtz; 07-29-09 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-29-09, 11:44 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Actually, no, they really can't.

they can affect brake _fade_ which you won't ever see in normal street driving.
Hmmm, I've always considered driving sports or sporty cars very energetically on curvy mountain roads and in the occasional weekend gymkhana as "normal" driving. Is this a forum for car enthusiasts or only for those who confine themselves to "normal street driving"?

I've experienced some pretty severe brake fade on public roads that has increased stopping distances dramatically -- even to the point of having to pull over to let brakes cool down. Yep, some brake pads are much more resistant to fading and provide shorter stopping distances when hot -- you got that right.

I may be firmly in geezer territoritory and far older than most forum participants, but in my younger days I was known in my local SCCA club as "Master of the 4-wheel drift". That's OK ... no need to bow!

Quick Reply: I just got denied for the 08 Dust-Free brake pad TSIB